Blood donation

Old September 3rd 03, 05:24 AM
Beth

Default Blood donation

Hi,

Does anyone know whether donating a pint of blood is all right? The
American Red Cross tells me that it is all right, from their point of
view--but will it seriously affect my supply? I am exclusively nursing a
9-month old . . . and miss being able to donate blood.

Thanks!

Beth

Old September 3rd 03, 07:38 AM
Tine Andersen

"Beth" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know whether donating a pint of blood is all right? The
American Red Cross tells me that it is all right, from their point of
view--but will it seriously affect my supply? I am exclusively nursing a
9-month old . . . and miss being able to donate blood.

Here in Denmark you can not give blood if you
- weigh less than 50 kg
- are pregnant
- are nursing.

Tine

Old September 3rd 03, 11:55 AM
Rob and Laura

Beth if you are in Canada or the USA you can safely give blood after 6
months post partum even if you are nursing.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old September 3rd 03, 02:04 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I checked on this a while back. The scoop is:

1. You need to be healthy. You need to be fully recovered from
childbirth, have normal iron levels, and not be exhausted or
dehydrated. (That last part can be difficult with a newborn :-)
2. You must not have received any blood products in the past ... I
think it says 12 months now? Which means not even during
childbirth. (Unlikely, of course, unless you had a c-section or
other serious complication.)
3. If your doctor says you are healthy (post-partum checkup), and if
your nursing is well established, then blood donation should not be
a problem.

Do NOT donate blood if you're still exhausted, if you have any supply
problems, or if you are otherwise unhealthy.

If you donate, be sure to drink plenty of fluids both prior to donation
and for the several days following donation.

Although the blood banks typically don't ask if you're nursing or have a
young infant at home, many will turn you down if you show up with your
nursling, since local policies vary. (Think "don't ask don't tell".) So
for that reason, if for no other, you should probably leave your
nursling at home.

This is what I was told when I asked a friend who worked in the blood
bank industry. It's not official, but is probably good advice.

--Beth Kevles

Old September 3rd 03, 03:46 PM
Lucy

"Beth" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know whether donating a pint of blood is all right? The
American Red Cross tells me that it is all right, from their point of
view--but will it seriously affect my supply? I am exclusively nursing a
9-month old . . . and miss being able to donate blood.

I was told at a blood drive at my work that lots of nursing mothers donate
and that it's not a problem at all. They wouldn't take my blood though,
since I'm from the UK.

Old September 4th 03, 03:40 AM
Cathy

Beth wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know whether donating a pint of blood is all right? The
American Red Cross tells me that it is all right, from their point of
view--but will it seriously affect my supply? I am exclusively nursing a
9-month old . . . and miss being able to donate blood.

Thanks!

Beth

Wow, here in New Zealand I am not allowed to donate till 3 months following
the cessation of breastfeeding. Looks like I won't be able to donate for a
while yet.

Cathy

Old September 4th 03, 11:00 PM
Beth

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
Actually very very likely for about 10% of the population that is Rh-.
The Rhogam or Winrho shots that RH- women get to prevent
sensitization is a blood product.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm RH- and had a couple of Rhogam shots
during and after my pregnancy.

Beth