Am I the only one who finds this easy?

Old December 13th 03, 05:09 PM
Karen

Default Am I the only one who finds this easy?

"Nina" wrote in message ...
I've never had a problem breastfeeding my kids all the way to about 28
months. I may have needed advice or suggestions on some things, but for the
most part it has been easy as pie, and I've enjoyed it. Is it just me??

The worst problem I ever have are sore nipples which always resolve
themselves by the end of the second week. I never read a single book
about breastfeeding or attended a class before I had my 1st child. I
assumed I would breastfeed, I was breastfed, all my nieces and nephews
were breastfed, it's how babies were fed. Period. I had no idea it
was supposed to be hard. Pregnancy and birth-sure, I read everything I
could get my hands on but breastfeeding?No more than was addressed in
my pregnancy books. I had a C-section for my first, they brought her
to me a couple hours later, Iatched her on and that was that.
I have gone on to nurse 6 children now.
The only thing I wish I had known about from day one of my first
nursing experience was lansinoh.
I think my lack of anxiety about the process may have contributed to
my success. I have never been concerned about it not working
therefore never tense or anxious or worrying when nursing.

Karen
Old December 13th 03, 05:41 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Nina" wrote in message ...
I've never had a problem breastfeeding my kids all the way to about 28
months. I may have needed advice or suggestions on some things, but for the
most part it has been easy as pie, and I've enjoyed it. Is it just me??

No. Kivi had some latch problems as a newborn, but by the time she was
about 2 weeks old, everything had smoothed out. She bit me a few
times around 11 months, and I just had mastitis, but other than that,
it's be really, really easy.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01 (2 years old yesterday!)
Old December 13th 03, 05:45 PM
Dagny

"Nina" wrote in message
. ..
I've never had a problem breastfeeding my kids all the way to about 28
months. I may have needed advice or suggestions on some things, but for

the
most part it has been easy as pie, and I've enjoyed it. Is it just me??

Nope, I've never had any problems that were severe and think it's a natural
and easy thing to do.

-- Dagny

Old December 13th 03, 05:56 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Nina wrote:

I've never had a problem breastfeeding my kids all the way to about 28
months. I may have needed advice or suggestions on some things, but for the
most part it has been easy as pie, and I've enjoyed it. Is it just me??

I had a lot of problems with DD, my first child. Low supply, mastitis,
sore nipples as well as PPD. Luckily breastfeeding got easier after 8-12
weeks. Even more lucky, my friends who had breastfed all told me to
expect problems the first 8-12 weeks, so when they hit I was still
miserable but I knew to hang on until the 12 week mark before making any
decisions. After 12 weeks, breastfeeding was a breeze.

Jeanne
Old December 13th 03, 06:51 PM
AlenasMom

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
NBennett wrote:
No. Me too. That's THE reason why I did it for so long (19 months). I'm

lazy
by nature, and quickly saw that breastfeeding was much easier, [...]

Exactly! My coworker asked me if I was still breastfeeding
and how long I was going to do it and I said yes and at least
one year. She said, well, I couldn't, I'm lazy. I said,
no... I'm LAZIER! For night feedings, I go to the crib,
latch on, switch, 10 minutes later, all done, crawl back
into bed. Nothing to heat up, nothing to check temperature,
nothing to wash, NOTHING! This is surely the laziest
possible way to feed a baby! (Especially now that we've
started solids and I have to wash the bowls and spoons
afterwards!)

I must be the laziest person ever then! Alena sleeps with us, so all I do
is roll us over when she's done on one side (or if I'm really tired, I let
her feed on one side and deal with lopsided boobies for a few hours in the
morning. )

I think this is why I don't understand formula. Why take all that extra
time away from sleeping, cuddling, etc.

Ever seen that natural gas commercial where the baby's screaming and the
mom goes downstairs to heat up a bottle??? I keep wanting to make a
breastfeeding version. The thunder claps, baby starts crying, mom rolls
over and starts feeding the baby. "When the power goes out, who are you
going to trust?"pause "Boobie Juice! The natural way!"

Old December 13th 03, 08:03 PM
Leslie

Nina said:

This is all interesting to me. I didnt ask to judge or belittle anyone,

but
because it has honestly been very easy for me and I wonder if I am the
exception or the norm. I am glad that all the mothers who have had
problems have been able to continue nursing successfully, that gives me
hope. I have been fortunate.

Sue answered:

Yes you did. You posted this right after K-glass boobs story and you are
feeling superior. That's okay though, you are a better mom than her and you
should flaunt it. Nothing wrong with that. Although, in my opinion, there is
more to raising children than what you feed them.
--

Nina,

Don't worry; I didn't read it that way at all and it didn't sound from the
replies like other people did. Sue thinks she is a mindreader.

I was surprised myself when I first came here to read of all the various
problems people had. I think it's a testimony to the strength of character to
so many of the wonderful women here that they persevered despite severe
difficulties.

Leslie
Old December 13th 03, 08:11 PM
Nina

"Sue" wrote in message
Nina wrote in message
. ..
This is all interesting to me. I didnt ask to judge or belittle anyone,

but
because it has honestly been very easy for me and I wonder if I am the
exception or the norm. I am glad that all the mothers who have had
problems have been able to continue nursing successfully, that gives me
hope. I have been fortunate.

Yes you did. You posted this right after K-glass boobs story and you are
feeling superior.

No. I am not feeling superior. I've never had any problems and I never
realize peopld had it so hard and I wanted to know. Am I the exception? Is
it really this hard? And yes, her story is one of the ones that inspired my
question, but not to flaunt anything, but to really get a feel of what it
may be like for other people.

I had a miserable pregnancy this time after 2 that were very easy. So I can
appreciate the perspectiveo f women who have had rough pregnancies, whereas
before I would have honestly asked "Is it really that bad, am I the only one
who has had an easy time of it? "
What is rude is to NOT ask and to assume that everyone does have it as easy
as you and then to berate or demean them for their complaints. I have never
done that. I simply wanted to get a feel for what the norm is, whether that
is Easy BFing or Difficult BFing.

That's okay though, you are a better mom than her and you
should flaunt it.

Whatever.

Nothing wrong with that. Although, in my opinion, there is
more to raising children than what you feed them.

Bah. I hope you are being sarcastic, because if not then you are just full
of ****. I've never berated anyone for not-breastfeeding, I've never
criticized anyones choices. I've tried to offer suggestions but never
implied or stated that anyone was a failure, quitter or anything for NOT
using them.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 13th 03, 08:39 PM
Sue

Leslie wrote in message
Nina,

Don't worry; I didn't read it that way at all and it didn't sound from the
replies like other people did.

Of course you didn't.

Sue thinks she is a mindreader.

Oh, you mean I'm not, darn. Back to my day job.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 13th 03, 08:44 PM
Sue

Nina wrote in message
No. I am not feeling superior. I've never had any problems and I never
realize peopld had it so hard and I wanted to know. Am I the exception?

I don't think your the exception. I think this group is mainly for support
and help for breastfeeding, so it would make sense to hear about more
problems than the success stories.

Bah. I hope you are being sarcastic, because if not then you are just full
of ****. I've never berated anyone for not-breastfeeding, I've never
criticized anyones choices. I've tried to offer suggestions but never
implied or stated that anyone was a failure, quitter or anything for NOT
using them.

I am being sarcastic, but not really to you, but the whole demeanor of this
group. I really feel sorry for K-glass. She is a real human, with real
feelings and the people on this board really tore her a new one for a choice
that was different than people on this group. I think that is horrible.

Breastfeeding can be hard for some. Some people don't have the commitment it
takes and sure that is sad, but breastfeeding is not the be all and end all
of parenting and I think most people on this group forget that.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 13th 03, 10:08 PM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:

Nina wrote in message

[...]

Ya know, if she'd said "sorry gang, thanks for the help, I hate bfding,
and I just cannot find it in myself to continue" and buggered off,
wihtout starting the excuses about her house, her car, her DD's
adjustment, her DH (who sounds completely unable to cope with the new
changes either), and her age, and how of course she couldn't nurse #2
since she didnt' nurse #1, and the only reason humans have bfd for
millenia is that every baby up til hers was a second child......she
might not have got the responses that she did.

She may have got some of the "geez you really outta" and some of teh
"here, try this" suggestions she got anyhow, but her childish, selfish,
unimaginative, self-limiting, wimpy whining did her in for those on this
group that you are mentioning.

Personally, I think CHOSING not to bfd, or quitting because it's tough
for the first little bit and you miss your old life more than you want
to struggle with the new says a **LOT** about the kind of parent a
person is. Not supporting your wife when the house is a bit rumpled, or
outright messy and she's upset and the odler child needs attention says
a **LOT** about the man she chose to marry, and about his committment to
his family.

Sue, that your DD may not be **able** to bfd is another matter entirely.
Different league all together.

Dawn