But that's a girl's toy!

Old December 6th 03, 10:27 PM
Rosalie B.

Default Costumed weddings, was But that's a girl's toy!

x-no-archive:yes toto wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:39:07 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

I don't think that the bride should dictate to the mothers what they
should wear at the wedding. It is, after all, not a stage production.

Heh! Unless you get a dd like mine who is a scenic artist, has
friends in theater and a fiance who also has theater in his blood.

Then you get a Rennaissance Costume wedding with not only
the bride's parents and groom's parents in costume, but many
of the guests in costume too g

Well that would be different. IMHO anyway. And dictating the style of
dress is somewhat different from saying what color someone should
wear.

I think the bride should chose bridesmaids dresses that look good on
the bridesmaids. That is in colors that are flattering, or at least
not too unflattering, and in styles that don't accentuate the least
flattering physical characteristics of the bridesmaids. If the bride
choses something that makes her (presumably) friends look awful, she's
not much of a friend. And if the bridemaid is her future in-law then
this doesn't argue well for future family relations.

(I don't know if anyone answered this, but in the US, the bridesmaids
buy their own dresses and there is quite a bit of expense to being a
bridesmaid.) Some considerate brides might even let the bridesmaids
wear clothes that they already own which are an appropriate
harmonizing color and style.

And I see nothing wrong with one of the mothers saying - that color
doesn't flatter me and I want to look nice at your wedding. Some
compromise can be made in most cases. I wore the same dress at the
last three weddings of my children. My dd #2 helped me pick it out
(my mom bought my dress for dd#1's wedding), and I really liked it,
plus I hate shopping. I didn't wear it for any other events, and it
was expensive. Neither dd#3 nor my DIL made any objection.

My sister OTOH got a personal shopper so that she could be in the
color of dress that her DIL prescribed, and her younger dd vetted her
choice of dress for her older dd. For that wedding she had a silver
lame knit - fortunately she's a dancer and has an excellent figure
because that dress would show ANY flaws.

Also, I think there is a BIG gap between refusing to be made
ridiculous and being a MIL from hell.

grandma Rosalie
Old December 10th 03, 05:49 PM
Katie Jaques

Default But that's a girl's toy!

"Circe" wrote in message news:FUIzb.60133$kl6.46512@fed1read03...
"LisaBell" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:42:13 -0800, "Circe" wrote:
She also likes dressing
her Barbies in "princessy" things, as she has a major obsession with
"pretty" things, but I don't think there's anything evil or wrong with

that
though I did once worry about it.

Just wondering.... do you have to buy a bunch of doll princess outfits
for that?

Well, I wouldn't *have* to, but my mother and I have both bought her a
couple of multi-packs of dressy Barbie-sized (not necessarily Barbie-brand)
outfits, so she has a
few more dresses than Barbies. No biggie.

And what do kids do with the dolls once they are dressed?

Well, I can't speak for other children, but my daughter's Barbies usually go
to the (imaginary) park and play on the (imaginary) slides and swings, or
else they are mommies taking care of baby or Kelly dolls.

So in wondering whether to get her this doll for Channuka/Christmas,
I'm trying to figure out whether this is going to just be an excuse
for wanting more outfits and gear for the doll, which I'm not willing
to invest too much in. Pretty dress up clothes for the girls (Disney
and the like) are expensive enough without having to buy more
overpriced playclothes for a doll.

I have usually managed to get the dresses at fairly reasonable prices by
buying multi-packs on sale or off-brand clothes for 11.5" dolls. I didn't
consider the investment burdensome and, as I said in an earlier post, she
isn't agitating for *more* clothes for her Barbies--at least not yet!
--

Wanting lots of clothes for a doll, any doll, makes a lot of sense to
me. That was what I always wanted when I was a little girl. When I

For me as a child the point was not consumption but verisimilitude ...
I had different kinds of clothes for different activities or times of
day, and my doll should too.

Grandma Katie
Mom to Barbara (Circe), Grandma to Julian, Aurora & Vernon
Old December 10th 03, 05:57 PM
Katie Jaques

"Circe" wrote in message news:33uzb.57823$kl6.28435@fed1read03...
"toypup" wrote in message
If your DS wants to play with Barbies, then buy him his own Barbies. Why
should he be relegated to sharing his sister's? This way, he would have

his
own to play with and his sister would see that dolls aren't just for boys.

Ah, more toys! Just what we need--NOT g!

Vernon doesn't really play with the Barbies/dolls often enough to warrant
getting him a stable of them. That said, I think I can see a point to doing
this. My mom bought a Barbie at Target the other day because they were on
sale for something like $2. Maybe we'll wrap it up and put it under the tree
for Vernon. We certainly don't need more Barbies to resolve the "sharing"
issue, but if he gets one for Christmas and we tell Aurora that, yes, it's
REALLY for him and a boy really CAN have a Barbie, it might help. My bet is
it'll wind up being "her" Barbie, anyway (all our toys are pretty much
communal, anyway, with the exception of things that Vernon's too young to
manage). But the illustrative value of the exercise might well be worth
it...
--

Good idea.

I have the receipt right here. It was $1.97, to be exact G.

Mom