Glenn Sacks Show - Are Child Support Levels Too High?

Old December 10th 04, 02:53 AM
Dusty

Default Glenn Sacks Show - Are Child Support Levels Too High?

Are Child Support Levels Too High?

According to economist R. Mark Rogers, "Child support guidelines currently
in use by the U.S. states typically generate awards that are three to four
times what they should be if based on economically sound cost tables and on
a true equal duty of support standard for both parents" (emphasis added).

Rogers also believes that support levels have become so skewed in favor of
custodial parents that even custodial parents with a substantially lesser
income will still end up with a "significantly higher standard of living
than the non-custodial parent." The situation is even more inequitable in
cases where the custodial parent has a significantly higher income than the
noncustodial.

Rogers of Guideline Economics believes that child support levels are too
high in practically every U.S. state and has proposed a Cost Shares
guideline which he says will remedy the problem. Debbie Kline is the
Executive Director of the Association for Children for the Enforcement of
Support, a nationwide organization which advocates higher child support
levels and tougher child support enforcement. Mark and Debbie will join
Glenn on His Side with Glenn Sacks on Sunday, December 12 at 5 PM PST/8 PM
EST.

You can call the show and join the discussion in progress at 1-877-590-KTIE
(in California) or 1-800-439-4805 (out of state).

For those who are outside of our radio stations' coverage ranges, you can
listen to the show live via our station's excellent Internet stream at
Listen Live. His Side with Glenn Sacks can be heard on WSNR AM 620 in New
York City and North-Eastern New Jersey, and on WWZN AM 1510 in Boston on
Sundays at 10 PM EST. The show can also be heard in Southern California on
KTIE AM 590 at 5 PM PST.

--
"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old December 10th 04, 10:39 PM
Fido

Yes, child support levels are too high.

What is interesting is the recent trends being pushed by PSI, Inc. related
to child support recommendations. While we see that joint custody has, in
many cases, served to reduce the gross child support obligation, becuas
ethe non-custodial parent is recognized as providing direct support for
the children, in Maine the response was to elimate the permitted
adjustment for substantial vistiation (more than 30% of the time) that was
previously allowed. Now, the deviation is only allowed if there is
*substantially equal* custodial time. So, a parent who provides housing,
food and direct care say, 35-40% of the time is held exactly as if he
spent NO time (and money) on his kids.

Well, in order to get the law passed they held out the bad "deadbeat dad"
who abandons his kids and does pay child support. And they used that to
pass a law that won't affect THAT parent at all - instead it *only*
applied to a parent who is spending substantial visitation time AND is
paying child support.

Go figure.

"Dusty" wrote in
:

Old December 11th 04, 02:23 AM
Dusty

"Fido" wrote in message

[...]

Holy crap!! Glad I don't live in Maine.

Old December 11th 04, 07:57 AM
Bbmaxwell

From: Fido
Date: 12/10/2004 2:39 PM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

It;'s easy enough to figure, Fido. They don't give a **** about Fathers. They
don't give a **** about kids. They don't even give a **** about Mothers. All
they care about is keeping the money flowing from somebody to somebody else, so
their jobs are "justified" and the federal kickbacks keep flowing.

Mel Gamble

"Dusty" wrote in
:

Old December 11th 04, 04:42 PM
Lanark

"Bbmaxwell" wrote in

All they care about is keeping the money flowing from somebody to somebody
else, so
their jobs are "justified" and the federal kickbacks keep flowing.

Mel Gamble

They might give a ****e if fathers would band togther to create a voting
majority!