allergy to mother milk

Old April 13th 06, 09:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default allergy to mother milk

Hi,

Any advise is welcome, we are out of ideas what to do or to try.

Three weeks ago our (now 6 weeks old) baby started having bloody
stools. He was very fuzzy and restless with pains in his tummy. Stools
were mucusy and liquid,

When we switched to Nutramigen (hipoalergenic formula) everything was
same except that stools were firm, which is common, but they still were
bloody and he had reactions (fuzzines and pain). Alimentum
(hipoalergenic formula) made things even worse. Now he is on Neocate
(hipoalergenic and very expensive formula), and his problems are gone.
Neocate doesn't have complex proteins, it only has amino-acids.My wife
diet is only rice, lentils and some vegetables. As soon as she tries to
breatfeed him he gets all symptoms back instantly. Doctor thinks that
baby can't digest proteins.

Does anybody have any similar experience or know of the similar case?

regards
Milan

Old April 13th 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

writes:
[...]

It is vanishingly unlikely that your daughter was allregic to your milk.
What is much more likely is that she was allergic to something in your
diet. What is usually done in a case like this is NOT to take the baby
off breastmilk, but for the mother to go on a strict elimination diet to
find out what the cuplrit is. Too bad you did not find this newsgroup
when the problem first appeared.

If you still have some milk supply left, it is possible to go back to
nursing (which is healthier for your daughter, if you can find and
eliminate the food she is allergic to). You will have to do some
things to build your supply back up, but it is possible. Post to
the newsgroup again if you are interested, and the kind folks here
will try to help you out.

Larry
Old April 13th 06, 10:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

If you still have some milk supply left, it is possible to go back to
nursing (which is healthier for your daughter, if you can find and
eliminate the food she is allergic to). You will have to do some
things to build your supply back up, but it is possible. Post to
the newsgroup again if you are interested, and the kind folks here
will try to help you out.

he said his wife only eats rice, lentils and some vegetables, which doesn't
leave much for baby to be reacting too.

Anne

Old April 13th 06, 10:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi,

Thanks for repy.
The problem is that my wife is eating only rice, lentils and 3
different kind of vegetables and that doesn't help.

Milan

Old April 13th 06, 11:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Just for reference for other with similar problem I found this yahoo
group to be good source of information:
neocate · Neocate Families Group

regards
Milan

Old April 13th 06, 11:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi Anita:

red and green lentils
whole wheat rice
olive oil
salt
vegetables: celery, potato, yam, carrot
materna multivitamin pill
barley
rye bread yeast free

I think this is everything. If we remember something else will post it.

no juices, no soy, no dairy product, no margarine.

Milan

Old April 14th 06, 12:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

writes:
: Hi,

: Thanks for repy.
: The problem is that my wife is eating only rice, lentils and 3
: different kind of vegetables and that doesn't help.

: Milan

Sorry, Anne pointed out to me that you had posted this in your first
post after I replied. This certianly makes the problem hard. Still,
the culprit is likely one of the specific things your wife is eating.

Since you say that this is all she is eating, I assume you mean that
she is eating only unprocessed local vegetables, and dried rice and
lentils. Process foods often have milk products in them and the
ingredients are difficult to identify from the list on the package.

If your wife is eating ANY processed foods, cut them out for fresh
local produce only. Next, try substituting something differnt for
each of the items she is currently eating to see if it helps.
For example, if she is eating one vegetable, remove it completely and
substitute a different vegetable. You will need to make the substitution
for at least a week for the old substance to clear her system. She
should keep a daily diary of what she eats.

Once you find out what foods the baby is sensitive to, it may be
possible to add other foods back in one at a time until your wife's
diet is more varied.

Perhaps others who had babies with severe food reactions could help.

Larry
Old April 14th 06, 12:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Larry,

thanks for repkly.
The bread is wheat free. I am thinking if it is possible that the
problem is Barley?
I don't get how would wheat can be the problem. Do you think because of
gluten?

regards
Milan