vegans sentenced for baby death

Old May 14th 07, 07:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default vegans sentenced for baby death

"Workingmom" wrote in message
xkatx skrev:
Here, it's 5lbs because infant car seats are not made for a baby under
that weight.

LOL

That really made me laugh. If that would be an issue here for me I'd
really be ****ed!! I don't even own a car.

Cars are very heavily taxed in Denmark and not all families have one.

We bike a lot or take a bus or walk.

Culture differs!!! :-)

Tine, Denmark

Here you do not need a car seat when riding a bus or taxi. I've been told a
newborn will not be discharged without a car seat, and that doesn't matter
if you're walking home (not that I'd believe this happens too often) You're
required to bring your car seat to your baby in the room before you leave at
the hospital. Not sure why, but that seems to be the way it's always been
as long as I've had babies or friends have had them.
People are encouraged to use car seats in a taxi, but, for some reason, it's
not required by law. It is in your own vehicle (or a friend's, family
member's, whatever)

Old May 14th 07, 07:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Workingmom" wrote in message
emilymr skrev:
One of Those Paranoid Parents. So I brought him in, and basically was
One of Those Paranoid Parents (the on-call ped asked if this was our
first child...). :P

I'd much much rather be One of Those Paranoid Parents 10 times than I'd be
One of Those Neglecting Parents once.

So go on and be One of Those Paranoid Parents!

Tine, Denmark

LOL I've BTDT as well...
DD2 recently fell off the bed and had a HUGE lump on the top of her head,
and there I was, rushing to the children's hospital to get it checked out
since she started to look kind of strange! The doc in pediatrics asked me
if this was my first baby... I had to look away and admitted she was my last
of a total of 4 LOL

Old May 14th 07, 07:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

That really made me laugh. If that would be an issue here for me I'd
really be ****ed!! I don't even own a car.

Cars are very heavily taxed in Denmark and not all families have one.

We bike a lot or take a bus or walk.

we were told that it would be checked we had a suitable car seat when we
left the hospital, which again, we found frustrating, at the time we found
out, we didn't have a car and DH didn't drive, at that time car seats were
not required by law in the UK and still aren't in taxis, so my expectation
was going home in a taxi and for that one trip it not being worth buying a
car seat. In the end, my parents took us to choose a buggy and the best
option ended up being one with a car seat, we did end up buying a car, but
with DH not driving, my parents picked me up from the hospital, the car seat
came in and baby went out in it, but no one seemed to check as the actual
discharge was done before it was present. 2nd time around, I walked out of
the hospital in the middle of the night with the baby in my arms, clearly no
one was checking car seats!

Anne

Old May 14th 07, 07:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Here, it's 5lbs because infant car seats are not made for a baby under
that weight.
Not relevant at all to the article or issue discussed, but that's how it
is over here. Other places can be, and often are, different.
An otherwise healthy, normal (premature) baby isn't released until they
hit the 5lb mark because of the car seat issue. Won't even let you leave
the hospital unless you have a car seat to take the baby home in (even if
you're not going home in a vehicle) If a baby is premature, they do have
other factors - like the general ones to ensure the baby is fit to go as
far as health goes

never say never, it is pretty normal in most places for 5lb to be a
prerequiste for babies getting out of hospital, but mainly because it has a
pretty good connection with that and being ready to go, but from time to
time, a baby will be very low birth weight and healthy, it's in no ones
interests to keep them in hospital, you come across news stories with
relative frequency about babies weighing 1lb something at birth who go home
before 5lb because they were very small for gestational age, rather than 24
weekers, I don't recall with certainty if I've seen one of those stories
from Canada, but they pop up with relative frequency the world over and I
doubt Canada is excluded from that, when I say frequent, I mean you get a
handful each year, but they make the local news because where they are it's
very rare, but with the internet, the whole world can hear if they want to,
so it's entirely possible your hospital has never let a baby out under 5lb,
but most likely because they've never had to make that decision. There are
inserts available for car seats, they are not ideal and parents taking a
baby home in this situation will often be advised to keep car seat use to a
minium. There are also car beds available such as
http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11026_8-23219867.html, which is specifically
recommended for babies under 5lb.

Cheers

Anne

Old May 14th 07, 09:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

People are encouraged to use car seats in a taxi, but, for some reason,
it's not required by law. It is in your own vehicle (or a friend's,
family member's, whatever)

it makes sense to me that it's not required by law, here in WA, USA, it is,
which means if you were a one or no car family, should some kind or
emergency arise requiring you to take a taxi it could be very tricky, it
would certainly influence making a decision about whether you own a car or a
2nd car. It may not be the safest decision, but in terms of the environment,
it might save 100 trips in a car, for one unsecured infant in a taxi. Car
seats are not required on buses, and to be honest, I can't see how they
could make that a requirement as buses don't have seatbelts and you'd have
to allow time at each stop for whoever got on to install. I think what you
want to acheive is that the vast majority of journies have babys, toddlers
etc secured in car seats, but without restricting emergency and occassional
use. The new laws in the UK do have provision for emergencies, so now
children up to a certain height must be in an appropriate car seat, in a car
(not a taxi) except in emergencies, which means if, for example, a parent is
due to be picking a child up and is held up somehow, maybe in an accident,
another person can take the child home or wherever and not get in trouble,
which they technically could here. I've not yet seen any reports of how
often this is happening, if there have been any challenges, that kind of
thing. I'm all for safety, but there needs to be a little give, for
emergencies and tolerance for the sake of the enviroment.

What ultimately can a hospital do if new parents decide to leave the
hospital by a method that doesn't require a car seat, if they refuse to let
them take the baby, they could be accused of kidnap, the baby is the parents
to do with as they choose, within the law, not the hospitals to give to the
parents. They would have to let them leave, they could then choose to
contact social services/child protection, who when reported that Mr and Mrs
X just walked down the street to there home, with baby in a carrier, are
hardly likely to do anything.

Anne

Old May 14th 07, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

On May 10, 6:12?pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

seems to me the fact they are vegan is irrelevant, the article seems to
imply they were using this as defence, but doesn't mention breastfeeding at
all. I checked out a few vegan sites about breastfeeding and cannot find
anything against it, in fact the british vegan society has a picture of a
baby at the breast on every single page of it's site!!

Anne

I checked around and found another article which indicated that she
was breastfeeding and supplementing with the soy milk and the apple
juice. Some doctor was cited saying that the juice probably caused
diarrhea and dehydration and blocked the absorption of nutrients from
the breastmilk.

I just don't believe anyone in the U.S. could be so ignorant these
days as to think a baby could survive on such a diet.

Leslie

Old May 14th 07, 10:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"xkatx" wrote in message

Here, it's 5lbs because infant car seats are not made for a baby under
that weight.
Not relevant at all to the article or issue discussed, but that's how it
is over here. Other places can be, and often are, different.
An otherwise healthy, normal (premature) baby isn't released until they
hit the 5lb mark because of the car seat issue. Won't even let you leave
the hospital unless you have a car seat to take the baby home in (even if
you're not going home in a vehicle) If a baby is premature, they do have
other factors - like the general ones to ensure the baby is fit to go as
far as health goes

Huh - what exactly are they going to do if you walk out with your baby in
your arms ;-)

Where I am at the nurse walks out with you and makes sure the car seat is
installed correctly, and baby belted in correctly. If you didn't get in a
car I imagine they'd just wave good bye - what else could they do!

You can get infant car beds for babies under 5lbs or that have breathing
issues sitting up in a car seat. They are spendy though.

http://www.adaptivemall.com/anincarbed.html

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 15th 07, 01:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On May 13, 4:53?pm, "
wrote:
Plenty do go home under five pounds -- my nephew was some incredibly small weight, I no longer remember how
small, but definitely under four pounds.

Oops -- not my nephew, who was some very normal weight, but my
cousin's baby. Not that it matters to anyone else, but I feel funny
leaving the error.

--Helen

Old May 15th 07, 05:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

You can get infant car beds for babies under 5lbs or that have breathing
issues sitting up in a car seat. They are spendy though.

I saw this particular car seat at 100 dollars, which doesn't seem expensive
to me, I know I'm working on UK prices, but 49.99 would be pretty much
baseline price for a baby car seat of any sort, and with 2 dollars to the
pound that's the same.

Anne

Old May 15th 07, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
You can get infant car beds for babies under 5lbs or that have breathing
issues sitting up in a car seat. They are spendy though.

I saw this particular car seat at 100 dollars, which doesn't seem
expensive to me, I know I'm working on UK prices, but 49.99 would be
pretty much baseline price for a baby car seat of any sort, and with 2
dollars to the pound that's the same.

Anne

Oh yikes. I paid $120 (Can) for DD2's infant seat...
I have never, ever seen these car beds. Never seen someone use them, never
saw a store sell them, and I didn't go too much in depth with it, but a few
sites that came up when I googled said they're sorry, but delivery is
unavailable to Canada.
$100 isn't too bad for a car seat/bed, I wouldn't think.