Question about cows milk (long)

Old July 16th 03, 11:10 AM
Clisby Williams

Default Question about cows milk (long)

Michelle Podnar wrote:

Hello all,

I have a question regarding Cow's Milk and BF. What is the best way to
combine the two (not together, but in DD's diet). DD was a year on
Monday,and we were at the dr yesterday (20 lbs 13 oz, 30" length), and he
was saying that we need to get her on milk. Homo milk is preferred, but 2%
will do. He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's
milk. He assumed that I was going to wean to milk, but then said if I
wanted to continue to BF, that was also good, but it wouldn't be for
nutrition anymore, mainly comfort. I think he was trying to be somewhat
supportive of BF, but he fell somewhat short. He has a little girl 2 weeks
younger that DD, and she was BF (a lot was pumped though) for the first
year, but was introduced to solids a 4 months, and probably has a much more
varied diet than DD.

Currently DD is about 80% exclusively BF (at least I think that). She will
eat a variety of cereals, variety of crackers, cheese, yogurt (normally
strawberry or peach), bread/toast, and will also drink water. She isn't
interested in fruits and vegetables (doesn't like anything that is
sticky/slimy, which most veg are after being cooked). The dr said that I
should get her a multivitamin (Poly-Vi-Sol) to make sure she is getting
enough nutrition while not eating much fruits and veg.

Is it true that DD now needs cow's milk for fat & protein? He said that I
should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to get
anywhere near that. If so, how do I direct her to drink cow's milk instead
of BM. I don't want to wean her, but if she needs such a large amount of
cow's milk, there won't be much room left in her tummy for BM?

What should I do?

Michelle P

That's different from the advice my pediatrician gave. When my son was
1, she said as long as
I continued to BF him (at 1, he was still nursing 8-10 times a day) he
didn't need any other
liquid besides water, which he really likes She did say that as his
nursing lessened (at 17 months,
he's down to 3-4 nursings a day) I should be sure he's getting food with
calcium. That's no
problem, since he's always liked yogurt and cheese, and is getting to
like broccoli.

Clisby

Old July 16th 03, 09:36 PM
Spanannie

My pediatrician gave very different recommendations. He said the need for
cow's milk was only to get them used to the taste and said that if I wanted
to give it to him, he recommended giving a small amount after his meals
(dinner for instance). He said not to give it with dinner, since it would
ruin his appetite for his other food. (All of this was said with the
assumption that I did not care to wean anytime soon)

He says a 1 year old only needs 10-20 oz total of breastmilk/cow's milk per
day (whatever the combination) and thinks that's probably how much he's
getting bf anyway (at least).

My doctor said nothing about a vitamin, but did mention that Zach's skin
color looks like he's getting lots of veggies.

I wouldn't worry about getting a certain amount of milk into her. I'd just
give it for adjusting to the taste, if you would like her to take cow's milk
eventually.

Annie
Zach 6.19.02

.. .

Old July 16th 03, 10:06 PM
H Schinske

Mary ) wrote:

24 oz. of milk a day seems like a whole lot to me! Especially if she's still
nursing so much.

The public health recommendations I was sent by our state said an average of a
pint of whole cows' milk (16 oz.) per day between one and two years. Presumably
somewhat more at first and somewhat less later. 24 oz. seems like *much* more
than 16, though, to me.

*And* that was the recommendation if you weren't nursing. I specifically
remember they mentioned the possibility one was still breastfeeding! What I
don't remember, alas, is how that changed the cow's milk intake
recommendations. Not that it matters, it's just that it sounded to me a more
sensible protocol than the one Michelle's doctor is going by.

Anyway, toddlers' protein requirements actually go DOWN in the second year, not
up, because they're not growing as fast. Vitamin requirements do go up, though.

I'd focus on figuring out an appropriate amount of protein for a toddler and
shoot for that, in whatever form, not necessarily dairy.

--Helen
Old July 16th 03, 10:40 PM
Michelle Podnar

Thanks for your reply. I think my dr was saying 24 oz because in his mind,
there is no nutritional reason to bf, it is just for comfort (which I
disagree). I just smiled and nodded, because I didn't know better, and knew
to ask this group.

Michelle p
"Mary W." wrote in message

Michelle Podnar wrote:

Is it true that DD now needs cow's milk for fat & protein? He said that

should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to

get
anywhere near that. If so, how do I direct her to drink cow's milk

instead
of BM. I don't want to wean her, but if she needs such a large amount

of
cow's milk, there won't be much room left in her tummy for BM?

FWIW, my DD was only nursing 3 or 4 times a day at 1 year (of her own
choice). We introduced cow's milke since she was taking minimal EBM while
I was at work and I wanted to stop pumping. We introduced cow's milk and
she took to it very slowly. She now likes it (at 25 months) but probably

only
drinks 8 ounces a day. Our ped thought that was fine. Our ped also never
suggested an amount of cows milk at 1 year, just suggested she get some,
and made sure she was getting other dairy for the calcium. She frequently
eats yogurt and sometimes cheese.

24 oz. of milk a day seems like a whole lot to me! Especially if she's

still
nursing so much.

Mary

Old July 16th 03, 10:57 PM
Michelle Podnar

Thanks for your reply, see below...
"HollyLewis" wrote in message
He said that she needs the extra fat and protein found in cow's
milk. He assumed that I was going to wean to milk, but then said if I
wanted to continue to BF, that was also good, but it wouldn't be for
nutrition anymore, mainly comfort.

Utter nonsense, especially if she is still getting a majority of her

calories
from bf and she is growing and gaining weight normally. There is

absolutely no
point in replacing the breastmilk in her diet with cows' milk, because
breastmilk is a superior source of the nutrition she needs.

Thanks, I thought that, but I always doubt myself a little when a dr tells
me something. I have to have more faith in my knowledge.

As you surmised, your doctor's advice was predicated on the idea that you

would
not be breastfeeding her any more -- but that her largest source of

calories
and nutrition would still be liquid, rather than from a varied diet of

solid
foods. Because those assumptions are wrong, his advice was poor.

My doctor, incidentally, suggested that we use 2% milk if and when we gave

DS
cows' milk, in light of the fact that he was (is) still nursing and that

he
liked and ate quite a bit of cheese. IOW, he was (is) obviously getting

plenty
of fat (as well as protein and calcium) from sources other than cows'

milk, so
a lower fat milk was a better choice.

DD does also eat cheese, and yogurt, so she is already getting some fat,
calcium etc. from cows.
My DD just turned 1 on Monday, and weighs 20 lbs 13 oz, and is 30" tall.
She looks very healthy and doesn't seems skinny at all. Should I still try
to go to Homo, or try 2%. My dr said that because she is BF, she may not
like Homo because it is thick, and I might only be able to give her 2%.

Your ped is probably right about the multivitamin, though, since your

daughter
isn't really eating fruit or vegetables. Have you tried offering your

daughter
raw veggies? Or frozen ones? (Does she have molars yet?) My DS loves to
munch on raw cucumber and (thinly cut) carrots, crisp apples and pears,

berries
of all kinds, frozen peas, and even frozen broccoli. None of those things

are
slimy, although I guess some of it would qualify as sticky. ;-) What

about
mixing mashed, pureed or finely chopped fruit or veggies into her cereal

and/or
yogurt? Also try to choose iron- and vitamin-fortified cereals.

My DD only has 3 teeth (front two bottom, and one front top tooth), so I am
not sure if she can handle raw or frozen. We have been offering cooked.

We offer her yougurt (with fruit in it, LaCreme) everyday, and also cheese.

She won't take baby cereals, but she eats a large quantity of Cheerios &
Crispix.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

Michelle P

Old July 16th 03, 11:06 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

In the first place, you do not wean from breastmilk to cow's milk.
Instead, you wean from breastmilk to a healthy, varied diet of which
cow's milk may be a substantial part, a trival part, or no part.

Your breastmilk contains plenty of calcium and protein. Cow's milk is
not at all necessary for a breastfed baby. However, if you wish for
your child to start drinking cow's milk later you may wish to start
introducing it as one of her non-breastmilk drinks. If you don't, she
may reject the flavor and never go for it. This isn't necessarily a bad
thing, but once she finishes weaning, cow's milk is probably the second
best fluid for kids to drink. (Water is the very best, I think.) And
that, of course, is because it is so rich in calcium and protein. (The
fat stops being important once your child is about two years of age.)

DO be sure that, as your daughter gradually weans from the breast, she
does get a properly varied diet. Whether cow's milk is a substantial
part is up to you. Just be sure that, if it is NOT, once she's weaned
you'll need to weave other sources of calcium and protein in. (The
protein is easy; just eat meat, fish or fowl. The calcium can be more
challenging, but there are plenty of sources if you stay alert. Soy is
one of the major ones.)

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

Old July 17th 03, 01:23 AM
H Schinske

I just realized that at least one thing is odd in those numbers I posted -- the
cow's milk shows up as *higher* in iron than the breastmilk (0.122 mg per cup
for cow's, 0.074 mg for people's). Weird. I have always heard that cow's milk
has essentially no iron, and that breastmilk has more but not a whole pile of
iron.

I need to look into this, but haven't time right now.

--Helen
Old July 17th 03, 05:11 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Michelle Podnar" wrote:

He said that I
should aim for 24 oz/day, but I know that that will be very difficult to get
anywhere near that.

I agree with what the other posters have said about your ped, but just wanted
to add that this amount need not necessarily all be milk, but could be other
dairy products. A slice of cheese, for example, equates to a particular value
in oz of milk.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 17th 03, 01:29 PM
Michelle Podnar

Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful.

Michelle P
"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

[...]

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

nutrition question on year old blacksalt General 12 January 21st 05 08:52 PM
Milk supply down? (x-post) Jill Pregnancy 7 June 14th 04 05:19 AM
a question (long) Kat Pregnancy 0 November 16th 03 10:59 PM
Quick Question - Might be a little long Paul Morris Pregnancy 1 September 26th 03 12:12 AM