Advice needed pls. 1yr old still chokes using sippy cups

Old November 25th 03, 02:54 AM
Idas

Default Advice needed pls. 1yr old still chokes using sippy cups

Hello,
I have been giving my 1 year old a sippy cup since she was 6 months
old. She doesn't mind it but after a few sips, she still chokes and
coughs. It doesn't discourage her but sure makes it impossible to
wean her off her milk bottles. I want her to use cups exclusively but
I can't risk it while she is not drinking well out of sippy cups for
water and diluted juice. I have tried 3 kinds of sippy cups, even
regular cups but she cannot get enough fluid this way.
She has no problem drinking out of a bottle, she has such a powerful
suck she is like a hoover, I have never seen any baby drain a bottle
like she did when she was a small baby.

I keep forgetting to ask her pediatrician about this problem. Is this
a medical problem or do some children just take longer to get used to
it?

thanks,
Idas
Old November 25th 03, 03:10 AM
Leigh Menconi

"Idas" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Is she using one of those spill-proof ones with a valve? It may be that the
valve is loose enough that she's getting too much in her mouth after a few
sips and can't control the liquid. My daughter has a swallowing dysfunction
and did much better with those little juicebox sized Rubbermaid cups with a
straw (in the plastic-ware section at the grocery store). They're not
spillproof, but they have the advantage of not causing some of the
speech-impediment problems that the Playtex valve ones are reputed to cause
and they teach a more useful method of straw-drinking than a regular sippy
cup with a valve which prolongs the sucking a bottle action.

Leigh in raLeigh

Old November 25th 03, 04:57 AM
Tracey

Idas wrote:

Hello,
I have been giving my 1 year old a sippy cup since she was 6 months
old. She doesn't mind it but after a few sips, she still chokes and
coughs. It doesn't discourage her but sure makes it impossible to
wean her off her milk bottles. I want her to use cups exclusively but
I can't risk it while she is not drinking well out of sippy cups for
water and diluted juice. I have tried 3 kinds of sippy cups, even
regular cups but she cannot get enough fluid this way.
She has no problem drinking out of a bottle, she has such a powerful
suck she is like a hoover, I have never seen any baby drain a bottle
like she did when she was a small baby.

I keep forgetting to ask her pediatrician about this problem. Is this
a medical problem or do some children just take longer to get used to
it?

Have you tried teaching her to use a straw?

Old November 25th 03, 07:50 AM
P. Tierney

"Tracey" wrote in message
om...
Idas wrote:

[...]

Ours never warmed to a sippy cup. We went straight for one
with a straw and it has worked pretty well.

P. Tierney

Old November 25th 03, 05:56 PM
iphigenia

P. Tierney wrote:

Have you tried teaching her to use a straw?

Ours never warmed to a sippy cup. We went straight for one
with a straw and it has worked pretty well.

Same here. I got some of the Playtex cups that have a straw and a lid that
flips over it.
I've now amassed a decent collection of small lidded plastic kiddie cups
from restaurants as well, which have proven to be a good size for DS to
hold.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 25th 03, 07:21 PM
Clisby

Idas wrote:
[...]

Sure - try a regular cup. My son could drink from a regular cup by the
time he was 6 months old (we had to help him hold it, of course.) He
didn't really learn to use a sippy cup until he was about 15 months old.
(The only reason I wanted him to be able to use a sippy cup was for
car trips, anyway - he's 22 months old now, and never uses one except
for when we're traveling.)

Clisby

Old November 25th 03, 10:35 PM
Ilse Witch

Idas wrote:

I keep forgetting to ask her pediatrician about this problem. Is this
a medical problem or do some children just take longer to get used to
it?

Don't know if this could be medical, but some kids do take longer
to learn how to drink from sippy cups. The step from the small
amount that they get from a bottle to the large amount that comes
out of a sippy cup is pretty big. Perhaps if you closed all but
one of the holes in the cup the flow might be smaller and better
to handle for her.

Or it might be an idea to start teaching her to drink from a
regular hard-plastic cup. It depends a bit on how far she is
with her motor skills, but once she realizes she can regulate
the flow herself, it could get much better.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (16m)

Old November 27th 03, 05:26 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Tracey wrote:

Idas wrote:

Hello,
I have been giving my 1 year old a sippy cup since she was 6 months
old. She doesn't mind it but after a few sips, she still chokes and
coughs. It doesn't discourage her but sure makes it impossible to
wean her off her milk bottles. I want her to use cups exclusively but
I can't risk it while she is not drinking well out of sippy cups for
water and diluted juice. I have tried 3 kinds of sippy cups, even
regular cups but she cannot get enough fluid this way.
She has no problem drinking out of a bottle, she has such a powerful
suck she is like a hoover, I have never seen any baby drain a bottle
like she did when she was a small baby.

I keep forgetting to ask her pediatrician about this problem. Is this
a medical problem or do some children just take longer to get used to
it?

We didn't have sippy cups when I was doing it. They were weaned
straight to a regular cup. So my advice would be to forget the sippy
cups (it may be a bit messy at first, but let her have a regular cup
with just a small amount of fluid in it) and go directly to a regular
cup or glass (a small unbreakable one with no handles so she has to
hold it with two hands). And give her the milk in the cup, and not
just juice.

grandma Rosalie

x-small sippy cups! Corrine General 4 October 28th 03 08:38 PM
Advice needed - birthday party and 25% of invited guests have RSVP'd - what should I do about the rest flowerlady General 32 September 26th 03 10:44 AM