And ANOTHER school calendar change

Old November 14th 03, 06:40 AM
P. Tierney

Default And ANOTHER school calendar change

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
m...
"P. Tierney" wrote in message

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
Is this how they normally communicate such things?

Do we HAVE to have this discussion again. I mean, we've done it twice
in the past couple of months. Why don't you just google it and read my

This ****es me off and is worth another response. Why do you
two think that I'm asking questions about information that I already
know, or that I know is out there? I didn't in each case. And why
did you spend more words typing the above response instead of
typing what would be fewer words to answer my extremely
simple question?

P. Tierney

Old November 14th 03, 12:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

In rwTsb.142771$9E1.722436@attbi_s52,
P. Tierney wrote:

*
*"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
* In FgGsb.139844$ao4.448102@attbi_s51,
* P. Tierney wrote:
*
* *
* *"chiam margalit" wrote in message
* . com...
* * We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
* * monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
* * off.
* *
* * Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
* *Is this how they normally communicate such things?
*
* Didn't we talk about this already?
*
* I don't know. Maybe I missed it. Either way, it's a simple
*question. I wonder because it wouldn't work *at all* here, since
*probably a good chunk of the parents do not have email.
*Hence the question.

I was sort of being sarcastic. It has been brought up before whenever
anyone suggests using email that many parents in many districts not only
do not have email, but do not have telephones, and/or do not know how to
read and/or do not speak English anyway, so therefore one must not rely on
email communiques but rather, I suppose, hire mimes to go out to each
address on file and explain what is going on. Oh gosh, there goes that
sarcasm again.

Old November 14th 03, 12:52 PM
Hillary Israeli

In OJ_sb.145290$9E1.744168@attbi_s52,
P. Tierney wrote:

* No, *we* have not. I never entered into a single conversation about
*emailing information home. But you and Hillary are criticizing me,
*I guess, because I'm not reading every freaking post on the newsgroup
*before entering into a discussion. That's really logical.

I'm sorry you felt criticized. That wasn't my intent. My post was really
intended more as a "oh boy, not THIS again," type of comment directed to
the readership at large more than to you specifically.

Old November 14th 03, 01:30 PM
JennP

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

No, *we* have not. I never entered into a single conversation about
emailing information home. But you and Hillary are criticizing me,
I guess, because I'm not reading every freaking post on the newsgroup
before entering into a discussion. That's really logical.

You are not alone here. I had no idea this was discussed to exhaustion
either. I don't read every thread and must have skimmed over it. I use
google often when looking up subjects that I think might have been discussed
here before, but I can't do it for every thread.

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 14th 03, 01:30 PM
JennP

"chiam margalit" wrote in message

Do we HAVE to have this discussion again. I mean, we've done it twice
in the past couple of months. Why don't you just google it and read my

No offense Marjorie, and I am a huge fan of googling to avoid repetition,
but I had no idea this was discussed either. I guess I skipped/skimmed over
those threads maybe? I don't read every thread so I would have no idea if it
was discussed or not.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 14th 03, 01:37 PM
JennP

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...

Well, their reasoning and my reasoning are two very different things.
THEY say that the calendar wasn't finalized until the teacher contract
was finalized, which was done about 2 weeks ago, and then there were
some 'minor' adjustments.

Did the teachers file a grievance with their union? Obviously they were
involved in negotiating. I had some issues with my former union but there is
a time and a place for a union and this is one of them. I just don't
understand how they can start a school year not knowing the calendar for
THAT year.

I say that they're clueless gits who just
don't understand that people make plans based on the calendar given
out day 1. Either way, the changes this year are totally new, having
never happened like this before. And hopefully never again.

New superintendent by any chance?

Public.

Ok, then as a taxpayer you (and as many of your friends as possible) should
really speak up. Attend the next board meeting. (Although, I can't imagine
that they haven't been hearing it from all ends.) This is just not
acceptable. I can't imagine the teachers aren't too happy with the situation
either. I'd bet that you have a high teacher absenteeism that day and quite
frankly, I couldn't blame them.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 14th 03, 02:22 PM
Joni Rathbun

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
Is this how they normally communicate such things?

Do we HAVE to have this discussion again. I mean, we've done it twice
in the past couple of months.

No, *we* have not. I never entered into a single conversation about
emailing information home. But you and Hillary are criticizing me,
I guess, because I'm not reading every freaking post on the newsgroup
before entering into a discussion. That's really logical.

Our last conversation (in which you participated) focused, in part, on
methods of sharing information with parents. I guess in my mind, email
would be considered one of the various methods available and would come
under the same type of criticism as other internet-based forms of
communication.

That discussion also focused on timing of calendar notices.

This latest is an example of both method and timing. So I guess I'm not
seeing how this is much different.

What I find interesting about it is, if I got the info straight, it
is an example of the role contract negotiations can play. I mentioned
earlier than sometimes a calendar cannot be finalized until contracts
are finalized and some years that's a problem. In that case, however,
any published calendars should at least include a disclaimer that
they are subject to change pending outcome of current negotiations.

I'd would be upset if I only found out now that I had to work
that Monday when I thought I had it off (and had planned that
trip to Grandma's house).

Old November 14th 03, 02:36 PM
Banty

In article 4O4tb.148919$9E1.751199@attbi_s52, JennP says...

"chiam margalit" wrote in message

Do we HAVE to have this discussion again. I mean, we've done it twice
in the past couple of months. Why don't you just google it and read my

No offense Marjorie, and I am a huge fan of googling to avoid repetition,
but I had no idea this was discussed either. I guess I skipped/skimmed over
those threads maybe? I don't read every thread so I would have no idea if it
was discussed or not.

I don't think it's been discussed to death or a particularly disruptive topic or
anything like that. We just have a couple of folks bored with it, who need to
find the 'next' button or whatever equivalent on their newsreader.

Banty

Old November 14th 03, 03:22 PM
dragonlady

In article kU4tb.148962$9E1.751296@attbi_s52,
"JennP" wrote:

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...

Well, their reasoning and my reasoning are two very different things.
THEY say that the calendar wasn't finalized until the teacher contract
was finalized, which was done about 2 weeks ago, and then there were
some 'minor' adjustments.

Did the teachers file a grievance with their union? Obviously they were
involved in negotiating. I had some issues with my former union but there is
a time and a place for a union and this is one of them. I just don't
understand how they can start a school year not knowing the calendar for
THAT year.

The point is that the change in schedule was the RESULT of negotiations
with the union. Individual teachers might not be happy with the change,
but the union negotiations were just completed and the union (with an
affirmattive vote of its members) approvved the contract with the new
calendar. There would be no wrong doing on the part of the school,
which is merely complying with their (new) union contract, and therefor
no basis upon which to file a grievance.

meh