Lifelong Love of Learning

Old February 28th 05, 05:25 PM
shinypenny

Default Lifelong Love of Learning

Thought this might be an interesting thread to start: what strategies
do you employ at home to encourage a life-long love of learning in your
kids?

One strategy we use is to play this game every night at dinner. We each
take turns describing the "two new things we learned today." This tends
to be easy for the kids, since they're in school and learning more than
two new things each day. It is more of a challenge for DF and I to come
up with two new things.

The idea with this strategy is to impress upon the kids that learning
doesn't stop once you finish school, that adults like to continue
learning new things, but that sometimes as adults it takes extra effort
to find new things to learn.

jen

Old February 28th 05, 05:45 PM
Ericka Kammerer

shinypenny wrote:

Thought this might be an interesting thread to start: what strategies
do you employ at home to encourage a life-long love of learning in your
kids?

I think the biggest thing we do is just live a life of
learning every day, adults included, and talk about it. We really
enjoy reading, going to museums, figuring things out, doing puzzles,
etc. I don't think it would occur to our children that learning
was something that one ever stopped doing. We're also very free
with saying, "I don't know," usually followed by, "Let's find out!"
My usual reaction is to find a book or other resource and DH gravitates
more toward experiential learning, so they see and participate in
lots of different ways to learn new things. My parents live next
door, and they're the same way, so the kids get a double dose of
it.

Best wishes,
Ericka