Mom to a 9 year old in East-Central Alberta

Old January 15th 05, 07:29 AM
sherisse

Default Mom to a 9 year old in East-Central Alberta

Well, good evening. Here it is just after midnight on Friday and here
I am at Google groups. I am not offering to show you any part of my
body, nor do I have the one and only truly legitimate get rich quick
scheme using e-bay (or property investments, or stocks and bonds, or
whatever the newest scam is). I am just a mom looking for some people
who may have some advice, some similar experiences, or even just a
listening ear once in awhile.

Anyway, I am a mom to a 9 year old boy, and it is just the two of us.
It has been the two of us since the beginning. We are getting to the
wonderful pre-teen stage and I am about ready to admit I need some
kind of support in all this. Cause man I am tired.

Along with raising my son, I am a full time student in my second year
of a computer programming course. My son, Andrew also plays hockey
and is involved in Cub Scouts. So needless to say we are pretty busy
most of the time. Mind you there are few people these days who are
living a true life of leisure.

So here is the overview, guess I leave it up to every one else for
now. not sure if there are special protocols or not, but look forward
to hearing from some new people and making some cyber friends.

G'Night...
Old January 15th 05, 11:58 AM
Cele

On 14 Jan 2005 23:29:10 -0800, (sherisse) wrote:

Well, good evening.

Good evening, Sherisse! :-)

Here it is just after midnight on Friday and here
I am at Google groups. I am not offering to show you any part of my
body, nor do I have the one and only truly legitimate get rich quick
scheme using e-bay (or property investments, or stocks and bonds, or
whatever the newest scam is).

Whew! That's a plus.

I am just a mom looking for some people
who may have some advice, some similar experiences, or even just a
listening ear once in awhile.

Yup, that's what this is about. You may not always care for the
advice, but you'll always get some, and there are some delightful
people here.

Anyway, I am a mom to a 9 year old boy, and it is just the two of us.
It has been the two of us since the beginning. We are getting to the
wonderful pre-teen stage and I am about ready to admit I need some
kind of support in all this. Cause man I am tired.

Oh, I do know that exhausted feeling.....

Along with raising my son, I am a full time student in my second year
of a computer programming course. My son, Andrew also plays hockey
and is involved in Cub Scouts. So needless to say we are pretty busy
most of the time. Mind you there are few people these days who are
living a true life of leisure.

This is true.

So here is the overview, guess I leave it up to every one else for
now. not sure if there are special protocols or not, but look forward
to hearing from some new people and making some cyber friends.

The faq'll be posted again before too long, I expect.

Welcome to assp, from a fellow Canadian! I'm in the bananna belt,
Vancouver, and have daughters, 17 & 19. I've been single parenting
since they were 5 & 7. You'll find other Albertans here, but I'll
leave them to introduce themselves. There are a few other Moms going
to school, as well. I don't think any of the Dads are students ATM,
but I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, great to meet you. I look forward to getting to know you.

Take care.

Cele
Old January 15th 05, 09:21 PM
CME

"Cele" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to piggyback.

I'm from Alberta as well and have *two* 9 year old boys. Welcome to the
group.

Christine

Old January 18th 05, 12:07 AM
Paul Griffiths

"sherisse" wrote in message
om...

Well, good evening. Here it is just after midnight on Friday and here
I am at Google groups. I am not offering to show you any part of my
body, nor do I have the one and only truly legitimate get rich quick
scheme using e-bay (or property investments, or stocks and bonds, or
whatever the newest scam is).

Just as well 'cos we're none too fond of spammers in here.

I am just a mom looking for some people who may have some advice,
some similar experiences, or even just a listening ear once in awhile.

Just? LOL You're far too modest, that'll have to change. :-)

Anyway, I am a mom to a 9 year old boy, and it is just the two of us.
It has been the two of us since the beginning. We are getting to the
wonderful pre-teen stage and I am about ready to admit I need some
kind of support in all this. Cause man I am tired.

Yeah, I think tired is an integral part of the deal.

I'm a single dad with one boy of 11 and we live in Wales in the UK right
now. With luck we'll be living in BC in six months or so. Fingers are
firmly crossed.

Along with raising my son, I am a full time student in my second year
of a computer programming course.

I did and MSc in Computer Science a few years ago so I know how hard
full-time education can be when there are kids to bring up.

My son, Andrew also plays hockey and is involved in Cub Scouts. So
needless to say we are pretty busy most of the time.

Mine's into Scouts and swimming. Similar basic problem though.

Mind you there are few people these days who are living a true life of
leisure.

So very true.

So here is the overview, guess I leave it up to every one else for
now. not sure if there are special protocols or not, but look forward
to hearing from some new people and making some cyber friends.

None that I'm aware of. Welcome.

--
Paul Griffiths

Old January 18th 05, 04:34 PM

Hello,
I am a mom as well, of two wonderful girls who are now in High School.
I understand your concerns about the pre-teen stage, and not to worry,
it is a stage. I have taught Junior high for 14 years, and it is
amazing to watch the changes and stages that children go through. I
can also sympathize with you regarding your full time student status.
I am currently doing a Master's degree (full time) in Education Policy
Studies. I am on Professional improvement leave from my school district
which is in Central Alberta as well.

Both my girls play on high school basketball teams, one on the junior,
and one on the senior. Needless to say, their practices and games are
never at the same time. My husband works 12 hour shifts, and I go to
night classes three times a week. I am also taking two online courses
(Total of five graduate classes in the Winter term. My professors think
I am crazy). Driving the girls to and from practices and games is
sometimes difficult as the school is 15 kilometres away. The bus
system is not great either. It takes them an hour and a half and three
transfers to get there.

Needless to say, my solution to the rediculously busy schedule is to
take things one day at a time, enlist the help of family and friends
when needed, and make a conscious effort to spend quality time with my
family.

I, too, look forward to hearing from new people and making some cyber
friends.
AA

Old January 21st 05, 09:35 AM
CME

wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

My husband works 12 hour shifts, and I go to
night classes three times a week.

snip
AA

Ex-husband or are you currently married?

Christine

Old January 23rd 05, 04:08 AM

Ex-husband, but only recently Ex. I guess I'm still not used to it.

Old January 24th 05, 03:10 PM
Sherisse

'Kate wrote:

Ex-husband, but only recently Ex. I guess I'm still not used to it.

Then what does it matter whether he works 12 hour days or 6 hour

days?

I guess if you are trying to share custody or arrange for someone to
look after the kids it does matter in somw ways.

I have never had that problem in having to accomodate some other
person's schedule or to work around it (unless you count the stint we
did in the same city as my parents). They helped where they could but
both still work full time as well. But that was before I went back to
school in '99. Man I've been here along time.

Sorry about the earlier non-post. Discovered I was one of those people
that have to use the Beta to reply, and guess my message was lost some
where.

So I am still trying to figure out how you, Kate are doing it with 2 at
this age! Do you have a hard time with homework and school work,
etc...

My dad keeps telling me to not worry too much about it, cause boys just
have shorter attention spans and are prone to forgetting things (like
practice and review sheets for tests!!!) So I kinda laid off the
harping on my son about that, but still wish the attitude would go away
for another few years.

Not only I am stressing about my workload at school, but now is the:
"What was I thinking going back to school!!! And where am I going to
work after all this is said and done?? I am NOT going back to
Walmart!"

We did decide that we would be happier to stay around the area we are
in now rather than move yet again to another city, but tech jobs are
few and far between here. I am lucky I guess that I have the
accounting to back me up as well, not just the computer courses, but it
really is the computer programmming and analysis end that I enjoy more
than anything.

But I guess we cross that bridge when we come to it. I better this
weeks homework done first! May I can then polish up my resume this
weekend while my boy is away at winter camp with his Cub pack.

Is there anyone out there that can review and (nicely)
criticize/proofread a tech resume??? let me know if you can help,
would really appreciate it!

Looks like I have gone off again on a lengthy tangent...thanks for
humouring me!

Sherisse