3 year old with bottle

Old March 9th 04, 08:20 PM
Kari

Default 3 year old with bottle

"nina" wrote in message
we live in an area w/high rates of nursing caries and UI've seen a lot
elsewhere,so this is one thing that does bug me.

It totally bugs me too. My older 2 were off of a bottle by 11 mos and 12 mos
respectively. Xander has never taken one and will not. I think it's totally
unecessary. Children beyond a year old are totally capable of drinking from
a cup. It's not at ALL the same thing as extended breastfeeding IMO. It's
very very much frowned upon where I live and most pediatricians tell mom's
to wean off a bottle by a year.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (5 mos)

Old March 9th 04, 08:27 PM
nina

"Clisby" wrote in message

nina wrote:
i guess my problem is
1. baby bottles caries which is bad in this area
2. what seems to me the hypocrisy of those who frown on extended
breastfeeding but think extended bottle feeding is no big deal
In my experience, most older kids with bottles are drinking juice or
kool-aid,not a good idea.

Do you know that many people IRL who frown on extended breastfeeding but
think extended bottlefeeding is OK?

Yes. I do.

I don't know, maybe this varies
from community to community - but I'm always surprised to see a child
more than about 18 months old with a bottle - it doesn't seem to be that
common, in my experience.

I suspect there are racial and cultural reasons why I see a lot more of it
thatn you.

Old March 9th 04, 08:35 PM
nina

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
nina wrote:

i guess my problem is
1. baby bottles caries which is bad in this area
2. what seems to me the hypocrisy of those who frown on extended
breastfeeding but think extended bottle feeding is no big deal
In my experience, most older kids with bottles are drinking juice or
kool-aid,not a good idea.

My twins are 2 1/3 yo and they still have their milk in bottles.
Bottles are spill-proof and easy to clean. They do not sip on them all
day long. They have their milk, drink it, and then hand me the bottle
(or they put it in the sink). They do not drink juice or kool-aid.
Water they drink from either a sippy cup or an open cup.

I am not saying this never happens. I am basing my dislike of it because in
my experience
I have seen too many 3 year olds with kool-aid bottles and rotted teeth. I'm
not making a judgement
about this particular woman, I dont know her situation, I THINK I just said
its a sight that bothers me.
When you see kids 2 and 3 with bottles of kool-aid or juice hanging out of
their mouths, and you
also see families full of kids with their entire mouths full of silver caps
becaue their teeth have all rotted, its
kind of easy to get riled up. I dont see many kid in public drinking from
bottles so much as literally clenching the nipple between their
teeth, dangling the bottle from the mouth and leaving the bottle in the
mouth for extended periods. I've known people who have
3 year olds who walk around all day with bottled of sweeted liquids, the
kids have the stuff in their mouths non-stop.
THATS what bugs me.

Old March 9th 04, 09:25 PM
Michelle Podnar

I have a problem with the child being in the front seat, but I don't have
any problem with a 3 year old who still has a bottle. If we should be
allowed to extended nurse our children to 3+ years, why should other
children be allowed to comfort themselves with a bottle past 3 years?

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
"nina" wrote in message
Today as I drove to the store, I looked in the care next to me and saw a

kid
who had to be no more than 3 with a big old purple plastic gerber bottle
hanging out of her mouth. UGH. People complain about breastfeeding but NOT
about kids with bottles dangling from between their teeth?
And, now that I think about it, why was she in the front seat of a car
anyway???

Old March 10th 04, 03:55 AM
zolw

I'm really not sure what the problem is (of course besides the kid
sitting in the front seat). Many psychiatrists recommend that it is best
to let kids have the bottle or pacifiers until they give it up
themselves. Once the kid hangs around other kids (who probably no longer
do it) the child will give it up on their own.

My nephews & nieces would keep their pacifiers safe with Mom & when they
are cranky or tired, they ask for it. It is a healthy habit, that should
not disgust anyone or upset them.

One should not force children to do things that are of no harm, they
should do it willingly & when they are ready.

Old March 10th 04, 05:56 AM
Marie

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:20:33 -0700, "nina"
wrote:

1. baby bottle decay

I was thinking about tooth/gum/jaw development. I have read in several
places that the breast(usually) causes the proper development of the
baby/child's mouth but the bottle nipple causes it to grow wrong. This
is most effective after age 1 from what I've read.
Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about prolonged bottle/pacifier
use. (except for tooth decay from the bottle...not many babies get
only water in those bottles that are carried around all day)
Marie
Old March 10th 04, 07:06 AM
zolw

Marie wrote:

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:20:33 -0700, "nina"
wrote:

1. baby bottle decay

Well, the kid at the age of 3 probably eats mostly solids, but uses the
bottle as comfort. Really we go around taking one look at people &
decide that we can pass judgement on them & their habits

I was thinking about tooth/gum/jaw development. I have read in several
places that the breast(usually) causes the proper development of the
baby/child's mouth but the bottle nipple causes it to grow wrong. This
is most effective after age 1 from what I've read.

True that breasts are the best option for tooth development ... BUT come
on, you can buy bottle nipples that are made so they don't affect tooth
development. Besides at that age, a bottle every now & then (which was
probably the case) would not harm. Of course we have just decided that
its a horrible parent, who "only" feeds (or gives drinks) the kid out of
the bottle.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about prolonged bottle/pacifier
use. (except for tooth decay from the bottle...not many babies get
only water in those bottles that are carried around all day)

My real problem is that we have a whole thread here about some woman, we
don't know. With her child, whom we also don't know. & we have decided
it all. MAybe she only gives her daughter water.

Marie

Old March 10th 04, 02:33 PM
nina

wrote:

1. baby bottle decay

Well, the kid at the age of 3 probably eats mostly solids, but uses the
bottle as comfort. Really we go around taking one look at people &
decide that we can pass judgement on them & their habits

I didnt pass judgment. I said I dont like it, but I also said in another
post
that I am aware that this is one of MY pet peeves.
Someone asked what the harm could be from this, i gave one example.

Of course we have just decided that
its a horrible parent, who "only" feeds (or gives drinks) the kid out of
the bottle.

When did this occur? Who decided this? Where in this thread did anyone say
that?

My real problem is that we have a whole thread here about some woman, we
don't know. With her child, whom we also don't know. & we have decided
it all.

No, we didnt. I said I didnt like it but I also said I didnt know HER
situation,just that
based on a number of things, I really dislike seeing kids with bottles in
their mouths.
I have seen too many kids with their mouths rotted out.

MAybe she only gives her daughter water.

Well, I saw it so it was something other than water or milk.

I just dislike bottles for olderk ids.
http://www.fluoridealert.org/bbtd.htm

Marie

Old March 10th 04, 05:29 PM
Michelle Podnar

For all we know, there was water or milk in the bottle, and maybe the child
only gets bottles when in the car because there is less mess? You can't
judge at first site. I have friends whose kids have 1 bottle of milk before
bed, and that is it. This will not cause bottle caries, or affect their jaw
development etc... it is one bottle a day. They are 2 1/2 & 3 1/2.

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
"nina" wrote in message
i guess my problem is
1. baby bottles caries which is bad in this area
2. what seems to me the hypocrisy of those who frown on extended
breastfeeding but think extended bottle feeding is no big deal
In my experience, most older kids with bottles are drinking juice or
kool-aid,not a good idea.

. ..