VENT - Why do people make things difficult?

Old March 17th 05, 03:38 AM
Jeff

One other thing that crossed my mind is that there might be other parents
who are planning to do something for the leaders. In which case, you would
expect someone to clue you into it so you could work togother or whatever.
(Nothing you said in your post suggested that you wouldn't work with someone
else - in fact, I get the opposite imporssion - or that you wouldn't get
out of the way and let the other person do whatever.)

I understand your frustration with the email thing and calling people. I had
two kids on my soccer team whose family (they were cousins living in the
same household). They spoke Spanish at home. When I called, I got "no
english" and they hung up. I ended up sending a let or postcard when the
next practice or game was with a copy of the schedule. I gave up trying to
contact htem after that.

Jeff

Old March 17th 05, 03:42 AM
Jeff

"bizby40" wrote in message
news
One of the things that happened on my soccer team is that I had a team
mother who took care of all the snacks and stuff. She collected money at
the beginning of the year. Whatever was left over went to the end of year
party, I think, at a local pizza joint. I think she collected $20 per kid.

I realize that it doesn't help with this situation.

Jeff

Old March 17th 05, 05:26 AM
bizby40

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I don't think I'll try anything like
this in the future, but if I do, I'll definitely know to do things
differently.

As an aside -- our soccer coach asked everyone to bring $10 to the first
practice to cover the cost of trophies and a season -end gathering for the
kids. I noticed I was the only one to bring th money.

Bizby

Old March 17th 05, 05:31 AM
bizby40

"Banty" wrote in message
Events like Blue and Gold dinners all had to be paid in advance - we'd
even go
through the artifice of selling the tickets for them.

That was a little different. Our den was assigned to bring the fruit and
veggie trays by the pack. Because some of the parents are so hard to get a
hold of, and because some of the families are very flaky in their
attendance, we knew there was no way to get everyone to bring an item. So
we made the decision to get the trays and split the cost. And then, even
knowing it was a den obligation, and even knowing that the cost had to come
out of someone's pocket, 3 of the families (out of 8) have never ponied up
their share.

Bizby

Old March 17th 05, 05:33 AM
bizby40

"toto" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:26:22 -0500, "bizby40"
wrote:

Well, I think the picture would mean more to the leaders if the entire
troop
were in it. And I wouldn't want the girls to feel left out just because
their parents don't contribute.

Definitely. As a former girls scout leader, I would hate to think
that any of the girls felt left out of a picture or gift for lack of
money. Many of my girls didn't have much. And for future reference,
we like things made by the girls that don't cost too much too.

LOL, I did think of putting together a scrap book with each girl making
a page, but thought the picture idea would be so much *easier*!

Bizby

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Old March 17th 05, 05:37 AM
bizby40

"Jeff" wrote in message

One other thing that crossed my mind is that there might be other parents
who are planning to do something for the leaders. In which case, you
would expect someone to clue you into it so you could work togother or
whatever. (Nothing you said in your post suggested that you wouldn't work
with someone else - in fact, I get the opposite imporssion - or that you
wouldn't get out of the way and let the other person do whatever.)

Oh, yeah. I would have been way happy to get out of the way and let
someone else take over!

I understand your frustration with the email thing and calling people. I
had two kids on my soccer team whose family (they were cousins living in
the same household). They spoke Spanish at home. When I called, I got "no
english" and they hung up. I ended up sending a let or postcard when the
next practice or game was with a copy of the schedule. I gave up trying
to contact htem after that.

That's like one of our cub scouts. We're not sure if his family still
considers
him to be in the den or not. So they're still on the e-mail distribution
list,
but we make no other effort to contact them.

Bizby

Jeff

Old March 17th 05, 02:28 PM
Banty

In article , bizby40 says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Events like Blue and Gold dinners all had to be paid in advance - we'd
even go
through the artifice of selling the tickets for them.

That was a little different. Our den was assigned to bring the fruit and
veggie trays by the pack. Because some of the parents are so hard to get a
hold of, and because some of the families are very flaky in their
attendance, we knew there was no way to get everyone to bring an item. So
we made the decision to get the trays and split the cost. And then, even
knowing it was a den obligation, and even knowing that the cost had to come
out of someone's pocket, 3 of the families (out of 8) have never ponied up
their share.

In our Cub Scout pack, the Blue and Gold dinners were catered; the year-end
picnic was potluck. Which people were really glad for by and large - nice to
have an event that you just attend and enjoy. And not eat the umpteenth potato
salad. The organizers' job was nonetheless large, getting the venue, setting up
the menu (ziti pasta), the presentations and pins and badges, table settings.

For the picnic, people by and large don't arrive with nothing - people are
pretty good about potlucks. There's the embarassment factor I guess

Banty

Old March 17th 05, 02:32 PM
Banty

In article , bizby40 says...

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Sooner or later you drop them for not paying pack dues, no?

Banty

Old March 17th 05, 03:19 PM
Jeff

Every year, our soccer program has a lunch or dinner for the kids (it starts
with lunch for the little kids -- so there are 3 different meals). To me, it
seems that I would prefer they spend the money on equipment, money for
training coaches and refs or decreasing the league fees. I am not sure that
the kids benefit all that much. I think most of the teams have an after
season party with the teams anyway. It seems like a pain for the parents to
get the kids there, too. And this year, two of the kids had boy scouts at
the same time, so they couldn't make it.

Jeff

Old March 17th 05, 03:20 PM
Jeff

"Banty" wrote in message

(...)

Sooner or later you drop them for not paying pack dues, no?

I imagine if they can't afford the dues, the pack will make provisions for
them. Of course, the parents have to speak up.

jeff

Banty