lopsided

Old October 2nd 03, 08:37 PM
Stephanie and Tim

Default lopsided

DD (12 days old) only nuses well on one side. I am already lopsided. If I
offer the lesser prefered breast first, she does not even bother. She WILL
take it second, after the preferred breast, and eats a little. I still get
let down sensation out of it, but not like the left (preferred) side. She
has wet and poopy diapers every day. I am looking up on LLL what the correct
number is, but it is a lot.

Any reaosn to worry? My thought is I could feed her on one as well as two.
If she eats it, it will come... so to speak. She seems happy enough. (When I
am not attempting to put her down to sleep in her bed. Another story.

Stephanie

Old October 3rd 03, 12:42 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Stephanie and Tim wrote:

Any reaosn to worry?

She might grow to take the other side better as she grows.
I was lopsided in one direction, and now tend to be lopsided
in the other direction, by virtue of feeding the side she
liked less well (but I liked better) every time she'd take it.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
zeldabee

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote:
DD (12 days old) only nuses well on one side. I am already lopsided. If I
offer the lesser prefered breast first, she does not even bother. She
WILL take it second, after the preferred breast, and eats a little. I
still get let down sensation out of it, but not like the left (preferred)
side. She has wet and poopy diapers every day. I am looking up on LLL
what the correct number is, but it is a lot.

Mine did that at first, too, on the left. I used the football hold to nurse
him from that side for a few days, and the problem disappeared.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 3rd 03, 01:41 AM
Sue

Did you announce the birth Stephanie? I missed it if you did, but I wanted
to say Congratulations!!!!!
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 4th 03, 12:46 PM
Chookie

In article 1065123728.850146@rh9cache,
"Stephanie and Tim" wrote:

DD (12 days old) only nuses well on one side. I am already lopsided. If I
offer the lesser prefered breast first, she does not even bother. She WILL
take it second, after the preferred breast, and eats a little. I still get
let down sensation out of it, but not like the left (preferred) side. She
has wet and poopy diapers every day. I am looking up on LLL what the correct
number is, but it is a lot.

5 heavy disposables or 6-8 soaking wet cloth ones.

Any reaosn to worry? My thought is I could feed her on one as well as two.

You certainly could but my suggestion is to keep offering as she will "grow
into it".

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 4th 03, 04:38 PM
KarenC

Stephanie:
I know quite a few women, myself included, who end up nursing exclusively
from one side. With my second child, I swore I was going to give both sides
equal time (and even went back to that newbie thing of putting a pin in my
bra on the side I needed to try first the next nursing). But my child
wouldn't stay on that side (my right) and it's not as comfortable for me to
nurse on the right unless I'm lying down. There's absolutely no doubt that
when I pumped I got far less from my right as well, but it's hard to know
what came first, the chicken or the egg in this case. Does my right just
produce less right from the beginning, which starts a vicious cycle, or does
my own awkwardness with the right drive the baby to prefer the left, which
impedes supply on the right, which then really makes the baby prefer the
left?

I'm about to have number #3, and I'm again hoping to do equal time. But
just to let you know:
- I nursed both children for over two years, most of it exclusively from the
left.
- Although I definitely had a visible lopsided thing going on, once I
stopped BFing altogether, my breasts eventually became the same size.

HTH.
Karen

Old October 6th 03, 03:59 PM
Melissa

"KarenC" wrote
I know quite a few women, myself included, who end up nursing exclusively
from one side. With my second child, I swore I was going to give both

sides
equal time (and even went back to that newbie thing of putting a pin in my
bra on the side I needed to try first the next nursing).

I thought that the safety pin idea was difficult because you had to reach
into your shirt again to move it. So, I got myself a plain ring to wear on
my middle finger and switch it each time she nurses. DD still prefers right,
but we start on left every other time because I was massively lopsided and
wasn't liking it at all. The ring is handy because it's not something that
screams FOR NURSING but it's a lot easier to move than something on my bra.
In fact, I finally broke down on Saturday and bought a nice gold one to
match my wedding band (plain gold) rather than the slightly beat-up silver
one I've been using.

I figure that the $45 I spent is good for another six months of nursing,
plus the later months of pregnancy when my wedding band doesn't fit plus
another year of nursing the second one when he/she comes along.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03