solids at 10 months

Old October 7th 03, 04:47 AM
Shannon G

Default solids at 10 months

Okay, I've heard from everyone and everything I've read that, until one year
of age, solids are for learning and experimenting and should only make up
50% or so of the diet. Is that because theoretically they may not want to
eat much in the way of solids or because they shouldn't?

DD is 10 1/2 months old. For about a month or so she's been off jarred
foods and eats table foods. All foods. Not scared of a thing. All fresh
fruits (except strawberries), any and all cooked veggies, ham and cheese
sandwiches, Hamburger Helper, filet mignon, mushrooms, olives, cheeseburger
patties, etc. Get it...there is nothing she won't eat and she wants to eat
what we eat and gets pi**ed if she doesn't get enough. She is about 26
pounds (close to chart topping in both weight and height).

Now my question. She is nursing upon waking, once when we get home at 5PM
and before bed at 7-730PM. She also eats 3 - 5 ozs. bottles of ebm at
daycare. I do not plan on extended bf and plan to encourage weaning at
around one year or so. I'm definitely not trying to wean earlier than that
but what is everyone's opinion to cut back further on ebm and allow solids
(well-balanced) to comprise more like 80% or so of her diet. Is there a
reason why we should cut back on solids instead of bm? TIA for any
comments/suggestions.

Shannon

Old October 7th 03, 01:02 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Shannon G" wrote:

Okay, I've heard from everyone and everything I've read that, until one year
of age, solids are for learning and experimenting and should only make up
50% or so of the diet. Is that because theoretically they may not want to
eat much in the way of solids or because they shouldn't?

I would imagine that it's a bit of both. The assumption is that your bfing
will gradually taper off in the second year. The reasons to maintain a good
amount of breast milk are because it's highly concentrated nutrition, easy to
digest (and if your DD gets a tummy bug you'll see that this is a great
thing), and because of the benefits to the baby's health (immune properties
etc), so reducing these benefits earlier than necessary is a bit silly. Also,
"encouraging" a child onto solids can be stressful if the child doesn't appear
to be eating a well-balanced diet.

OTOH, I am a great believer in following the child's lead in the matter of
food. If your DD loves solids, give them to her by all means. The 50% is
only a guide. Some kids are a little ahead, others a little behind this
figure.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 7th 03, 04:07 PM
Nikki

Shannon G wrote:
Okay, I've heard from everyone and everything I've read that, until
one year of age, solids are for learning and experimenting and
should only make up 50% or so of the diet. Is that because
theoretically they may not want to eat much in the way of solids or
because they shouldn't?

A little of both I think. Breastmilk has all the nutrients they need for
proper brain development and growth. Solids (regardless of amount) are
unlikely to give such complete nutrition.

Is there a reason why we should
cut back on solids instead of bm? TIA for any comments/suggestions.

I don't think you should cut back on anything. I would not cut back on the
breastmilk and give her the bottles and let her nurse as you have been doing
and then give her all the solids she wants. Once she turns a year old I
would offer her the solids before the bottles and try to phase the bottles
out. FWIW Luke quit bottles pretty much cold turkey at 13 months and didn't
have a problem. He continued to nurse though. IME the amount of solids has
no bearing on nursing behavior so weaning from the breast would be a
seperate issue.

Have fun. I had one that just didn't care about solids, and then Luke was
like you describe....king of food! He is just now slowing down a little at
2.5 although he still has a good appetite.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 7th 03, 07:08 PM
Larry McMahan

What Chookie said. :-)

OK. To add my own 2c worth, too, I don't think the transition from bm
to solids should be sudden, but should be a gradual decrease in percentage
of breastmilk and increase in solids until the child is completely on
solids. You know, like 5% less bm each month until its all gone.

There are also many really good health reasons for extending bf into the
second year. In case you have forgotten or haven't heard them...
Lower rates fo breast cancer for your,
Higher IQ for your child,
Less chance of adult obesity for your child,
More independent and socially adjusted at school age for your child

There are probably some others, but I am doing this off the top of my
head and can't remember the studies.

Hope this helps,
Larry

Old October 8th 03, 03:21 AM
Shannon G

OK. To add my own 2c worth, too, I don't think the transition from bm
to solids should be sudden, but should be a gradual decrease in percentage
of breastmilk and increase in solids until the child is completely on
solids. You know, like 5% less bm each month until its all gone.

It hasn't been sudden. She started on jarred food at 5 1/2 months and it
has been very gradual until now. Only in the last month has she started
eating like our DS did at about 13 months or so. I didn't expect her to
take to real textured foods like she has. How can she possibly enjoy steak
with only 8 teeth g?

There are also many really good health reasons for extending bf into the
second year. In case you have forgotten or haven't heard them...

I am aware of them (my sister is a La Leche League Leader) and have been
debating whether or not to continue past one year or so. I certinly will
not cut her off cold turkey and may be willing to nurse at bedtime and in
the AM for awhile but I have to stop pumping. I am beginning to despise the
looks of my Medela PIS. Thanks for your input, Larry.

Shannon

Old October 8th 03, 03:29 AM
Shannon G

"Nikki" wrote in message
I don't think you should cut back on anything. I would not cut back on

the
breastmilk and give her the bottles and let her nurse as you have been

doing
and then give her all the solids she wants. Once she turns a year old I
would offer her the solids before the bottles and try to phase the bottles
out.

I'm always wondering if she is overeating as I compare her to DS who weighed
5 lbs. less at the same age and gagged at anything with texture until about
11 months or so.

Have fun. I had one that just didn't care about solids, and then Luke was
like you describe....king of food! He is just now slowing down a little

at
2.5 although he still has a good appetite.

Yep, I hear you on that one :-) While DS did love solids, he pales in
comparison to his *little* sister :-)

Shannon

Can solids be introduced too early (even after 6 months?) Cathy Breastfeeding 3 August 30th 03 04:06 AM
solids before 6 months or food aversion Cantrall family Breastfeeding 13 August 26th 03 01:06 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6 months? Laurie Breastfeeding 5 August 12th 03 07:35 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM
Solids before milk at 7 months? H Schinske Breastfeeding 9 July 31st 03 04:21 AM