my baby refuses to eat solids

Old July 13th 06, 12:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
tami

Default my baby refuses to eat solids

Hello, i am a concerned mother...i have been breastfeeding my baby
exclusively and he is about to turn a year old in about two weeks. the
thing is he still refuses solids. just putting a bit of applesauce or
avocado or rice on his lips makes him dry heave like he is so grossed
out that he wants to vomit. i am worried as his growth is quite slow.
he is about 69 cm (i admit we are short people in the family though).
has anyone had any similar situation?

Old July 13th 06, 01:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2006-07-13 19:42:39 +0800, "tami" said:

Hello, i am a concerned mother...i have been breastfeeding my baby
exclusively and he is about to turn a year old in about two weeks. the
thing is he still refuses solids. just putting a bit of applesauce or
avocado or rice on his lips makes him dry heave like he is so grossed
out that he wants to vomit. i am worried as his growth is quite slow.
he is about 69 cm (i admit we are short people in the family though).
has anyone had any similar situation?

Not to quite that extent, but my small 13 month old hardly eats solids
as well. He'll have a taste, and up to 10 teaspoons on a really good
day, but nothing like others his age. He could easily live on boob
alone with tastes of my food here and there.

On the usual charts, he's below the 3rd percentile, but on the new WHO
breastfed baby charts, he's on the 10th.

I've learnt not to worry and not to push it at all now, and it's
working. I trust that he knows what he wants/needs.

I have no other advice though, sorry!

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old July 13th 06, 03:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

"tami" wrote in message
Hello, i am a concerned mother...i have been breastfeeding my baby
exclusively and he is about to turn a year old in about two weeks. the
thing is he still refuses solids. just putting a bit of applesauce or
avocado or rice on his lips makes him dry heave like he is so grossed
out that he wants to vomit. i am worried as his growth is quite slow.
he is about 69 cm (i admit we are short people in the family though).
has anyone had any similar situation?

does he "mouth" toys, most children of this age put everything in their
mouths, he he's not doing this I would see if you can assess other
developmental things to see if he has a delay

if he is mouthing is toys then just give him solid food that he can mouth
too, it might be that he just has no idea what you are waving this spoon at
him for and that if he can get used to tastes and the idea of eating he may
become more willing to be fed with a spoon. Both our children seemed to be
like this, started initially on finger foods, but learnt to be spoon fed
later, once they understood there was a reason for it and there was
something good on the end of the spoon!

Anne

Old July 13th 06, 05:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

Do you give finger foods that he can pick up himself?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

oups.com...

Old July 14th 06, 02:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

Some babies live on just breast milk longer than others.
Not to scare you, but I read a story in a newspaper about
a girl 5 years old who had to live on just breastmilk.
Her parents fed her with breastmilk donated from others --
it didn't say why the mother couldn't supply enough, but
just seemed to imply that mothers stop producing milk
when their baby gets a little older. She was allergic
to other foods. Anyway, I think going that long is
extremely rare, but I read about a 15 month old who was
just breastfed.

I wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't put food on his lips. I would let him
handle food, and eventually when he's ready he'll probably
start eating.

Maybe he instinctively senses that he tends to be allergic
and if he waits and has just breastmilk for now, he'll avoid
developing food allergies that can happen if you're
exposed to food to young (so I've heard anyway).

Does he enjoy smells, e.g. flowers, spices?

Old July 14th 06, 02:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

Breastmilk has all the necessary nutrients. People claim
it doesn't have enough iron, but actually newborns don't
need much if any iron -- they're born with too much to
start with -- and the amount of iron in mother's milk
increases as the months pass and the baby/toddler needs
more. Also the iron in bm is quickly absorbed.

Vitamin D can come from sunlight.
Old July 14th 06, 07:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

Do you have the link to the new WHO growth chart. A quick check of their
website gave me a lot of irrelevant results. Pretty please

Thank you!

Old July 14th 06, 11:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

If I had a 1-year old who refused to eat ANY solids, who gagged at the
very thought, I think I'd discuss the matter with my pediatrician.
(This assumes that you've tried solids of various flavors and textures,
not just purees!) While many 1-year olds rely on breastmilk still, most
will enjoy at least the occasional bite or spoonful of one solid or
another.

Issues might be

- sensory integration disorder (which makes the baby hate
various textures), which can be helped with occupational therapy;
- food allergies or intolerances, which you can work with if you knw
about them;
- other stuff! which I know little about;
- or nothing at all, in which case your ped. will have helped by letting
you know that all you need to do is wait.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old July 14th 06, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
(Catherine Woodgold) wrote:

Breastmilk has all the necessary nutrients. People claim
it doesn't have enough iron, but actually newborns don't
need much if any iron -- they're born with too much to
start with -- and the amount of iron in mother's milk
increases as the months pass and the baby/toddler needs
more. Also the iron in bm is quickly absorbed.

Vitamin D can come from sunlight.

I think you may be being a bit free-and-easy about this. BM has the necessary
nutrients up to at least 6 months, possibly to a year, we think (*). It does
not contain adequate iron, but this is compensated for by the baby's iron
stores, which deplete some time after 6mo. And yes, the iron in BM is easily
assimilable, but at a year, the baby will almost certainly require more iron
than is available from his own stores or fom BM.

I suspect the OP's child doesn't really have a problem with solids: it is
more that he doesn't like/handle purees, and wants finger food instead. Both
my children were like this.

(*) It is amazing how little is known about BM nutrients. We can't say that
it is proven that BM has all the necessary nutrients, because quite a lot of
them have never been studied!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 14th 06, 06:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

tami writes:
: Hello, i am a concerned mother...i have been breastfeeding my baby
: exclusively and he is about to turn a year old in about two weeks. the
: thing is he still refuses solids. just putting a bit of applesauce or
: avocado or rice on his lips makes him dry heave like he is so grossed
: out that he wants to vomit. i am worried as his growth is quite slow.
: he is about 69 cm (i admit we are short people in the family though).
: has anyone had any similar situation?

How is he about eating finger foods that he puts to his mouth himself?
I would suggest trying something like the oat O's cereal by putting
them on his high chair tray and seeing what he does with them. Are you
saying that he still eats absolutely no solids at any time, and that for
all practical purposes he is still exclusively breastfed? Even at 1 year
I would not worry about it, but I think trying different things to see
if he would like something else might be a good idea. I also think
trying to let him feed himself would be a good idea too. BTW, how many
teeth does he have yet.

Some other ideas for foods he could eat himself.

cooked english peas. Again, just put them on his tray and let him
play with them or eat them as he wishes.

cooked carrots cut up in small cubes.

Good luck,
Larry