Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Old July 3rd 04, 06:20 AM
animzmirot

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

"Chotii" wrote in message

And with all this said, if anybody has any suggestions on how to address
adult sexuality in ways that won't make the kids go EWWW!, I'd love to

know
them.

Recently my daughter (11) took a 7 week class from Planned Parenthood on
sexuality. It was offered by parent choice from a girls treatment for girls
with learning differences like my daughter. I was fearful that because she
learns differently she would end up getting into serious trouble sexually
because she's so gullible and doesn't always get social cues. Anyhow, the
class was unbelievably thorough and she actually came back knowing more
about sex than most high school grads. They were merciless in explaining how
to have safe sex, even to the point of explaining about dental dams. I'm
sorry, but even though I'm totally secure in teaching my kids about sex and
have never shied away from any topic so far, dental dams really never even
crossed my mind as a topic of discussion.

Because of this class my DD is completely and totally aware of all the
pitfalls of sexuality amongst young teens.She has met several pregnant young
teens, one of whom was raped by her stepfather, in this program, and she
really has the utmost respect for sexual promiscuity and the problems it can
cause. Just today she mentioned something about the Florence Crittenden
homes and what they're like.

I know this isn't for everyone, but it worked like a charm for my kid, who
was in a seriously dangerous position due to her learning differences. I
would recommend a class like this to any parent who is concerned that they
can't convey safe sex messages to young kids. And if you think 11 is too
young, get real. There are plenty of girls in the 11-13 yo age group who are
not only having sex, but having babies as well.

Marjorie

Old July 3rd 04, 06:25 AM
animzmirot

"shirley" wrote in message
Our school facilitator tells the kids at school who have hygiene issues to
wash the "highs and the lows" which is a great term even for our kids.

I disagree. If my kids heard that, they would assume that she meant wash
their hair and their feet, both of which are particularly smelly.

Marjorie

Old July 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
shirley

Last year we had 6, 8th grade girls who were pregnant at our school, and 2,
6th grade girls who were having oral sex in the bathroom at school!!!!
Granted this is an urban school but these kids know all about it and try it
out regularly.

Even the girls who were not active certainly "knew" what was happening all
the way down to the 5th graders. In fact it was a 5th grader who told me
about one girl who was pregnant.

Our school system offers the 4th graders a great course on sex and beginning
body changes. They do get into intercourse and pregnancy. The parents do
have a right to sign papers saying that they don't want the children to
attend this program and many do.

Shirley

Old July 4th 04, 01:05 AM
Twinzmommie

And if you think 11 is too
young, get real. There are plenty of girls in the 11-13 yo age group who are
not only having sex, but having babies as well. BRBR

So true Marjorie! I guess the public schools in my area are teaching about
sexuality in a gradual form. My niece who is going into 7th grade had the
course on the basics of human sexulaity and this coming school year they get
more explicit. Parents have been informed that this year they will be
discussing various sexual acts and the facts surrounding them.

I was a bit surprised when I first heard all of this because I just have not
been in the loop when it comes to middle schoolers. I do realize though that
it is absolutely neccesary in the times we are living in.

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael
A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/twinzmommie/myhomepage/brag.html"Michelle's
Little Sweeties/A