Back or belly?

Old March 11th 04, 05:55 PM
xkatx

Default Back or belly?

"V" wrote in message

"lm" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:17:16 -0500 (EST), (Bebe
lestrnge) wrote:

We have an issue going on about Jaime being put down to sleep ........

myself had always layed my kids on thier belly, they did sleep better.
Mari says she heard/read that sudden infant death is linked to this?

Backs are better.
http://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm

lm

But i heard they can choke, especially if they have reflux or spit up

alot.

I think it's also, not entirely, though, an issue of the baby smothering
itself. Newborns don't have the ability to move their heads much, and
aren't able to comprehend not being able to breathe, andsomething like, "Oh,
wow, my face is flat into my mattress! I should move my face because I
can't breathe!" just isn't something they'd think.
I don't know how many times I fell asleep with my baby on my stomach, and he
on his, but then again, that seems to be a bit different, or maybe not.
A lot of things that tend to be the norm back then aren't now, and some
things we do now wouldn't even cross the mind of the generation before ours.
Anyone remember those big, ugly, spaceship-like walkers? I know I sure had
one, but now what does much of the population think of wakers? They're
dangerous. I was put in a car seat as an infant, but it was also not the
law then, and just a personal choice. Now what would and does happen if
someone dares to put their baby in a car without a car seat? I can
guarantee you that the crib I slept in, and so did my 2 younger brothers,
would NOT pass a standard safety check today. I didn't die in it, nor did
my brothers, yet we all used it, and I used it for my own. Is there anyone
here who remembers getting the strap at school or even at home? I sure
don't, but my parents belong to that generation. You'd get the strap at
school and you'd go home and keep your mouth shut as tight as possible about
it because if you mentioned it to your parents, you'd probably get it again
at home. What on earth would happen if that was happening right now? Seems
that if a teacher at school so much as yells at a kid, there's some parents
who are banging down the school doors searching for the authorities because
a teacher was mean to their precious child.
I remember bringing my son to the daycare one Monday, when he was about a
year old or so, and he had been at my parents' place one evening on that
weekend, and it was right about when he was just starting to get the hang of
walking. My dad and him were playing around, chasing eachother around in
the living room, and he had fallen on the coffee table and got a little cut
just below his lip on his chin. It bled a bit, and stopped and looked fine,
but I just mentioned it to the staff there and said what happened. It was
nothing. A couple days later, one staff member came up to me and asked me
what had happened because they were going to phone social services because
they thought I had burned him on the mouth with a cigarette or something.
After a couple days, it had gotten kind of gross from both healing and also
from all the drool he had. I shook my head and seriously thought they were
crazy, and had to, again, repeat my story and that's when they appeared to
feel stupid.

Long story short, things sure seem to change, and really, babies don't
change much, they just seem to adapt to whatever we seem to want them to
adapt into. More children seem to have allergies to dust, animals, peanuts,
asthma seems to be higher and I don't think we have anyone to blame but
ourselves. I think whatever my parents were or weren't doing when I was an
infant was fine, and that included putting me to sleep on my stomach, and
letting me walk around in one of those ghastly and dangerous walkers. I
guess I feel that it's all a matter of preference. If your baby sleeps
better on his stomach, put him on his stomach. If she tends to sleep better
and longer on her back, let her sleep on her back. If you feel the horror
stories of infants sleeping on their stomach is concerning you, put a baby
monitor right beside the crib and clip the other monitor on your belt, or
just open the door to check on the baby every now and then. If it makes you
feel more comfortable, put the baby down to sleep and sit on a chair in the
same room and read a book until you feel more comfortable. SIDS is
something that can't be detected for the future, and it's also one of those
things where no one really knows the exact cause of it, so just let those
instincts take over and do what your instincts tell you to do.

Sorry this was so long and rambles on...

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

(Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious)