bad cough in infant

Old February 17th 04, 08:25 AM

Default bad cough in infant

My DD had an ear infection about 4 weeks ago. We gave her an anti-biotic
and she got over it. But she still has congestion and a pretty bad cough
at night.

It will usually wake her up. Sometimes every 1/2 hr. The doctor said to
give her baby doses of Vicks or Robitussin. She spis up the Vicks and
the Robitussin makes her throw-up so neither is effective.

They won't let us bring her in unless we give her these medicines for 3
days straight.

Is it normal for a 10month old to cough like this for so long? We're going
on 4weeks of coughing now. We live in Chicago and it's pretty cold up here
but I can't imagine this to be something that the doctor should take so
lightly.

Old February 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Stephanie Stowe

wrote in message
My DD had an ear infection about 4 weeks ago. We gave her an anti-biotic
and she got over it. But she still has congestion and a pretty bad cough
at night.

It will usually wake her up. Sometimes every 1/2 hr. The doctor said to
give her baby doses of Vicks or Robitussin. She spis up the Vicks and
the Robitussin makes her throw-up so neither is effective.

They won't let us bring her in unless we give her these medicines for 3
days straight.

They won't LET you bring her in? If it were me, I would get a new doc. This
seems dumb advice. For one thing, a mom knows their kid and their kid's
sickness meter better than the doc. AFAIK cold medicines treat symptoms. I
do not see how taking cough medicine would make your child any better.

Old February 17th 04, 07:09 PM
jojo

wrote in message
My DD had an ear infection about 4 weeks ago. We gave her an anti-biotic
and she got over it. But she still has congestion and a pretty bad cough
at night.

It will usually wake her up. Sometimes every 1/2 hr. The doctor said to
give her baby doses of Vicks or Robitussin. She spis up the Vicks and
the Robitussin makes her throw-up so neither is effective.

They won't let us bring her in unless we give her these medicines for 3
days straight.

Is it normal for a 10month old to cough like this for so long? We're

going
on 4weeks of coughing now. We live in Chicago and it's pretty cold up

here
but I can't imagine this to be something that the doctor should take so
lightly.

Our son had a similar problem. Persistent cough following an ear infection.
Our doctor prescribed a round of steroids for an upper repertory infection.
One week later we did another round (first provided no relief) of the
steroid.
Also prescribed a neulizer with pulmacourt once a day (after we finished the
oral steroid)
and albuteral 2-3 times per day. Our sons cough was persistent, but not
every half hour.
Vicks and robitussin are symptom relievers, not cures. You do whatever you
want, but I would be livid if my
pedi treated my son as yours has been treated.

I have a friend who's son had a long time cough. His pedi said this cough
was caused by
allergy drainage and told the parents to give Triaminic. They can the baby
this for
4-5 weeks and the cough went away.

If your girl has wheezing or sounds congested...I'd get another opinion.
jo

Old February 17th 04, 10:35 PM
H Schinske

wrote in message
My DD had an ear infection about 4 weeks ago. We gave her an anti-biotic
and she got over it. But she still has congestion and a pretty bad cough
at night.

It will usually wake her up. Sometimes every 1/2 hr. The doctor said to
give her baby doses of Vicks or Robitussin. She spis up the Vicks and
the Robitussin makes her throw-up so neither is effective.

Have they checked for whooping cough?

--Helen

infant first aid box (xposted) ted General 13 February 15th 04 10:53 AM
peer reviewed research on co-sleeping (it's more dangerous than cot-sleeping) Joshua Levy General 1 December 10th 03 05:27 AM
Soy-based infant formula Jennifer General 14 November 21st 03 05:08 AM
infant decongesants Marie General 10 November 9th 03 09:21 PM
(Illinois) Kids Count study finds high infant mortality rates in Coles, Edgar counties [email protected] General 1 June 28th 03 11:49 AM