My son has pale gums

Old August 6th 04, 05:15 AM
Christy84065

Default My son has pale gums

Hi. My two year old has pale gums. I noticed it several months ago
and tried to find something on the internet, but found nothing. He is
in good health other wise. He eats healthy foods and lots of water.
He has milk and all dairy products too. I have not limited his diet
in any way, except for limiting sugars and candy ofcourse. I have
asked both his doctor and dentist and neither of them have been able
to think of what it cuold be. He has had all his shots and I get him
to all his well child check ups. HELP!!!
Old August 6th 04, 01:34 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Christy84065 wrote:

*Hi. My two year old has pale gums. I noticed it several months ago
*and tried to find something on the internet, but found nothing. He is
*in good health other wise. He eats healthy foods and lots of water.
*He has milk and all dairy products too. I have not limited his diet
*in any way, except for limiting sugars and candy ofcourse. I have
*asked both his doctor and dentist and neither of them have been able
*to think of what it cuold be. He has had all his shots and I get him
*to all his well child check ups. HELP!!!

Well what's his hematocrit (red blood cell mass) and/or hemoglobin? Have
you had these things tested? If he's anemic he's going to have pale gums
and it can have nothing to do with nutrition.

Old August 7th 04, 02:38 AM
Christy84065

You know I did think of anemia. But the doctor looked at his eyes
which would be pale also if he was anemic and they are not pale at
all, only his gums.
Old August 7th 04, 03:29 AM
Denise Anderson

"Christy84065" wrote in message
om...
You know I did think of anemia. But the doctor looked at his eyes
which would be pale also if he was anemic and they are not pale at
all, only his gums.

I've struggled with severe anemia my entire life and I don't think anyone's
ever told me my eyes are pale.

Denise

Old August 7th 04, 04:38 AM
Marie

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 02:29:30 GMT, "Denise Anderson"
wrote:
I've struggled with severe anemia my entire life and I don't think anyone's
ever told me my eyes are pale.

They say if you pull down your lower eyelids and they're pale, you're
anemic.
Marie
Old August 7th 04, 05:16 AM
Denise Anderson

wrote:
I've struggled with severe anemia my entire life and I don't think

anyone's
ever told me my eyes are pale.

They say if you pull down your lower eyelids and they're pale, you're
anemic.
Marie

So of course I had to go check in the bathroom mirror, but seeing as I don't
see a lot of inner eyelids, I'm not quite sure if mine are pale or not..

Denise

Old August 7th 04, 06:23 AM
Michelle D.

Christy84065 wrote:

Hi. My two year old has pale gums. I noticed it several months ago
and tried to find something on the internet, but found nothing. He is
in good health other wise. He eats healthy foods and lots of water.
He has milk and all dairy products too. I have not limited his diet
in any way, except for limiting sugars and candy ofcourse. I have
asked both his doctor and dentist and neither of them have been able
to think of what it cuold be. He has had all his shots and I get him
to all his well child check ups. HELP!!!

I think he may be fine. Did they do a blood work up?

Michelle
Old August 7th 04, 09:05 PM
Robert A. Fink, M. D.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:23:51 -0400, "Michelle D."
wrote:

I think he may be fine. Did they do a blood work up?

Some blood work is in order. He could have some form of anemia, or
some other blood condition which can cause anemia.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, CA 94704-2636 USA
510-849-2555

**********************************
NOTE: The material above is not "medical
advice". Medical advice can only be
given after an in-person contact between
doctor and patient.
**********************************
Old August 7th 04, 09:17 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Robert A. Fink, M. D. wrote:

*Robert A. Fink, M. D.
*Neurological Surgery
*2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
*Berkeley, CA 94704-2636 USA

Oh my gosh! I used to work at Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital - isn't that
like right around the corner from you??

Old August 7th 04, 11:51 PM
Christy84065

Well, you're right. I did not word that well. His eyes are no paler
than the next little boy, but it was under the eye lid on the bottom
that the doctor checked and said they were fine. The Ped. did not do
any blood work he did not seem too concerned. I don't know if this
has anything to do with it, but during my entire pregnancy with him I
was very anemic and had to really watch my iron intake.