UPDATE with a question - Jan 2004 Due Date...From a Newbie Husband....

Old November 4th 03, 04:12 PM
Jon Stein

Default UPDATE with a question - Jan 2004 Due Date...From a Newbie Husband....

Hi all,

I know it has been a while since our last post, but preparing for the
arrival of our son has been keeping us busy.

The funny thing is it seems like yesterday the test came back
positive, and we could barley hold back our excitement from friends
until the 3 month mark. But now here we are at 32 weeks (maybe 34,
which I'll explain and ask for advice later).

The nursery is now complete. Over the past 2 weekends we have
transformed our office into a very cute baby room. When I look in the
room now it's hard to believe just a few weeks ago it was scattered
with paper, filing cabinet etc.. Now there is wallpaper with a chair
rail, and crown molding on the ceiling. We installed the new baby blue
ducky Roman blinds, and setup the crib, and put a new light fixture up
with a dimmer switch.

We have decided to store the core blood, and have picked up kit from
the hospital.

Our families have been buying us all kinds of cute outfits, they don't
really excite me, but my wife Nikki just loves getting them all
organized.

We started our first pre-natal class last week, 2.5 hrs every Monday
for 4 weeks (We are a little late on this, but the class before this
one was full). We both didn't get too much out of the first session,
but we hope to learn more over the next 3 weeks.

As for names, well I think we have finally narrowed it down to 2, but
as I mentioned in my last post, this is something that we have decided
to keep to ourselves until the baby is born.

With the brief update out of the way, I need to ask a question. As of
today my wife is 32 weeks (according to our original date, which was
given to us by our GP way back, EDD Jan 1/04). Then at the 18wk US
they measure and say end of Dec. Now recently with all the groups we
have been attending and people we have been seeing and talking to we
noticed that my wife is bigger than everyone who's EDD is around the
same time as ours. So we thought we should mention this to our OB at
our 29 wk appointment. He said come back in 2 weeks and we will do a
US to have a look see.

So last week (now 31 wks) we go in and have another US done. I also
asked to verify that it's a boy. So Doc has a look, does all the
measuring confirms it is a boy, and believe me once he pointed it out
there was no mistaking our son. He is already head down, which is a
good sign from what I've been told. The best part was he was able to
get a picture of a front profile, and once he began pointing out the
eyes, mouth etc I could fully see his face clear as day. I was really
sorry my wife couldn't see it due to the angle she was lying on.

Anyways after the US Nikki asked "so how big is he". The doctor's
reply was "4.2 pounds which is right on track for you now at 33 weeks"
Our reply was "actually we are supposedly at 31 weeks." He looked at
the file and replied, "oh then you are on track to have a 8-9 pound
healthy baby. He also mentioned that there is a lot of amniotic fluid,
which could also account for Nikki's big belly.

So now we are wondering, as of today are we really 32 weeks, or 34
weeks? I always thought from day 1 that they were off by 2 weeks
according to my math. I know the baby will come when he is ready, but
what concerns us is when to prepare. I guess we should do everything 2
weeks earlier than planned just in case. But we have also booked a
live in nurse, due to my work schedule, and need to give her a better
idea of when baby is actually due as she has other jobs and needs to
book us in.

Has anyone else had a similar experience they can share with us???

And congratulation to all the new mom's and dad's since my last
post....

Regards,

Jon & Nikki

EDD Jan 1/04
US EDD Dec 18/03
Old November 4th 03, 04:41 PM
Ilse Witch

Jon Stein wrote:
I know it has been a while since our last post, but preparing for the
arrival of our son has been keeping us busy.

Just wait until he's actually here

So now we are wondering, as of today are we really 32 weeks, or 34
weeks?

There have been several discussions here on the accuracy of u/s
estimates in the third trimester. It is no exception to be off
by one or two weeks, in the third trimester. If you had u/s dating
before, like early in the second trimester, that measurement would
be much more reliable, and I would stick to that due date.

Also the fundal height is merely an estimate, as shorter women
can have larger fundal height, simply because there is less
room inside their body. Don't worry about the exact due date,
there is a 5 week period around it anyway, and even if your
wife goes past her due date (which is not exceptional for a
first baby), the baby is not in any danger and will not grow
too big for her to deliver. A 8-9lb baby is actually not that
much above average for boys, IIRC...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (15m)

Old November 5th 03, 11:12 AM
rangitotogirl

Has anyone else had a similar experience they can share with us???

And congratulation to all the new mom's and dad's since my last
post....

Well one of my colleagues was exceptionally large. At 6 months she was the
same size as someone else leaving at 8 months and larger than another
colleague at 7 months. Her due date was brought forward by 3 weeks due to
her size. She also had a lot of amniotic fluid. Her partner was 12 lb when
he was born.

Well Baby arrived a day or two either side of her due date at about 9lb 7oz
or thereabouts so my thoughts are that it pretty much arrived when it was
supposed to and was just a bigger baby.