A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » Breastfeeding
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Toddler terrible eating habits.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 28th 07, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

Hi

My DD is now 14mths old, will be 15 on sept 13. She was always very
poor to take on solids and still pretty much the same. ?She has no
trouble chewing, swallowing or anything like that as she has been able
to eat pureed pears, peaches as well as fresh bananas, apple, nuggets,
chicken, rice, peaches and nutrios....but she doesnt seem to ever be
hungry. When she was a baby she always drank her milk well after
falling asleep and this became a bad habit when she stopped taking so
many naps and we resorted to feeing her with a dropper. ?Now she will
drink her milk via a dropper but water using sippy cup. She almost
always refuses much solids, sometimes she will eat ok like the last
three weeks whnen she ate chicken for both lunch and dinner at decent
quantity but as of last week she doesnt want that anymore or anything
else. I have tried bananas, peaches, rice, daal but she doesnt want
anything it seems or i havent figured out what she does want.

In my desperate attempt today we gave her milk for breakfast (no
solids), then she had very small quantity of chicken (no milk) and no
milk at 5PM but now its 8PM and she still doesnt want to eat anything,
I managed to give her a few nutrios and a small piece of peach but she
doesnt seem like a baby who is hungry. I dont know if i should give in
and give her milk or hold off? ?I dont have the heart to put her to
sleep for the day without any mik.

Anyway, you might wonder why i am doing this in the first place. I
have to go back to work and she goes to day care in exactly 2 weeks.
No one is going to spend time giving her milk with a dropper at the
center and they wont try so hard to make her eat solids so i want to
get her started in solids for lunch without milk and i will give milk
before and after daycare and before bed. ?Is something wrong with my
DD or can this be normal? I know kids are picky eaters but she is
beyond that. I have several nephews and nices who werent so easy to
feed but nothing like my DD.

Thanks
Nitu

  #2  
Old August 28th 07, 04:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 670
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

Have you had her checked out by a doctor? and I mean a doctor that's a
specialist in child development issues, her behaviour is simply not
normal, throughout her life she has shown no interest in eating, either
milk or solid food.

I wonder if when confronted with other children eating she might get the
idea that it's something she ought to do too.

Cheers
Anne
  #3  
Old August 29th 07, 05:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 264
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

On Aug 27, 11:58?pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
Have you had her checked out by a doctor? and I mean a doctor that's a
specialist in child development issues, her behaviour is simply not
normal, throughout her life she has shown no interest in eating, either
milk or solid food.

I wonder if when confronted with other children eating she might get the
idea that it's something she ought to do too.

Cheers
Anne


That is a good idea. She may also be teething, which can make them
want to avoid chewing. How old was she when you started introducing
the pureed foods? Texture may be a big deal for her.

  #4  
Old August 29th 07, 01:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Akuvikate
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 143
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

On Aug 27, 8:08 pm, nitu wrote:

Anyway, you might wonder why i am doing this in the first place. I
have to go back to work and she goes to day care in exactly 2 weeks.
No one is going to spend time giving her milk with a dropper at the
center and they wont try so hard to make her eat solids so i want to
get her started in solids for lunch without milk and i will give milk
before and after daycare and before bed. ?Is something wrong with my
DD or can this be normal? I know kids are picky eaters but she is
beyond that. I have several nephews and nices who werent so easy to
feed but nothing like my DD.


First get her checked out by her doctor. If she's growing well then
you can take your worry down a notch, but if she's not then there's
probably some kind of underlying issue. If there is a medical reason
then this is something you should work on in conjunction with her
doctor, a nutritionist, or whatever other specialist is indicated. If
there isn't a medical reason behind this you don't want to continue
organizing your life around getting food into her -- she should be
able to do it herself just fine even if it seems to you like it can't
possibly be enough. If her growth and development are OK then I would
get the book "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense", by
Ellyn Satter. Also know that children behave very differently at
daycare than they do for their parents. When surrounded by 10 kids
chowing down she might well eat just fine, even if she hardly takes a
bite for her parents.

Good luck!

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old

  #5  
Old August 30th 07, 03:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

Hi

Her pediatrician does know that my DD isnt into eating but so far
hasnt seemed very concerned, said it might have to do with her food
sensitivities. She seems to be growing ok and developmentally she
seems to be on track except for walking, she has just started holding
onto our hands and walking, she was holding onto furniture walking
since 11 mths old.

Nitu

  #6  
Old September 2nd 07, 12:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 17
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

I think you've had good advice from others regarding taking her to a
doctor about her eating habits.

Can I just say though, that any good nursery/day care setting/
childminder should be able to feed her with a droppler, no matter how
tyring it is, and they should encourage her to eat, especially if you
explain the current issues. Maybe a change of daycare? Are you in
the UK? If so, I can give you hand, as I work for the Sure Start,
Extended Services and Early Years Team, so I can give you some
pointers in where to look for the best day care.

All the best,

Jolande

On Aug 28, 4:08 am, nitu wrote:
Hi

My DD is now 14mths old, will be 15 on sept 13. She was always very
poor to take on solids and still pretty much the same. ?She has no
trouble chewing, swallowing or anything like that as she has been able
to eat pureed pears, peaches as well as fresh bananas, apple, nuggets,
chicken, rice, peaches and nutrios....but she doesnt seem to ever be
hungry. When she was a baby she always drank her milk well after
falling asleep and this became a bad habit when she stopped taking so
many naps and we resorted to feeing her with a dropper. ?Now she will
drink her milk via a dropper but water using sippy cup. She almost
always refuses much solids, sometimes she will eat ok like the last
three weeks whnen she ate chicken for both lunch and dinner at decent
quantity but as of last week she doesnt want that anymore or anything
else. I have tried bananas, peaches, rice, daal but she doesnt want
anything it seems or i havent figured out what she does want.

In my desperate attempt today we gave her milk for breakfast (no
solids), then she had very small quantity of chicken (no milk) and no
milk at 5PM but now its 8PM and she still doesnt want to eat anything,
I managed to give her a few nutrios and a small piece of peach but she
doesnt seem like a baby who is hungry. I dont know if i should give in
and give her milk or hold off? ?I dont have the heart to put her to
sleep for the day without any mik.

Anyway, you might wonder why i am doing this in the first place. I
have to go back to work and she goes to day care in exactly 2 weeks.
No one is going to spend time giving her milk with a dropper at the
center and they wont try so hard to make her eat solids so i want to
get her started in solids for lunch without milk and i will give milk
before and after daycare and before bed. ?Is something wrong with my
DD or can this be normal? I know kids are picky eaters but she is
beyond that. I have several nephews and nices who werent so easy to
feed but nothing like my DD.

Thanks
Nitu



  #7  
Old September 3rd 07, 08:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default Toddler terrible eating habits.

nitu wrote:
Hi

Her pediatrician does know that my DD isnt into eating but so far
hasnt seemed very concerned, said it might have to do with her food
sensitivities. She seems to be growing ok and developmentally she
seems to be on track except for walking, she has just started holding
onto our hands and walking, she was holding onto furniture walking
since 11 mths old.


This is completely on track. Most babies start walking between 12-18 months.
My son was cruising on furniture from around 11 months but didn't start
walking till he was 15 or 16 months. I didn't walk till I was over 18
months.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eating habits new parentz General 12 August 17th 05 05:55 PM
Problem w/ toddler eating ChitaShines Pregnancy 4 August 3rd 05 01:15 PM
Toddler not eating, help! Naomi Solutions 2 November 15th 04 10:46 AM
Eating habits in a toddler CY Breastfeeding 6 February 16th 04 06:17 PM
Annoying eating habits Akuvikate Breastfeeding 1 July 20th 03 09:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.