Can Living Outside U.S. Reduce Support Award?

Old August 13th 03, 12:43 AM
John Doe

Default Can Living Outside U.S. Reduce Support Award?

If I move to a foreign country to live with my spouse (from that country),
can I ask the court/judge to modify support if I earn what the people earn
there?

For a real example, suppose I earn $40,000 GROSS each year in my profession
in California (the United States). I will move to a developing country
where I can expect to earn perhaps as much as $12,000 NET/year (salaries
are reported to job applicant as net), and if I am fortunate, as much as
double that (but not likely). Can I ask the judge in a U.S. family court
to take this into consideration?

I was, in fact, forcibly returned to the United States for non-payment of
CS because I had been living abroad and paying would have meant going
hungry and being unable to contribute support to the household (note
however that this award for support was issued before I had emigrated
although after I was married to another woman).

The mother of the child receiving CS has now petitioned the court (for the
1st time in 14 years, the age of the child) for a modification of support,
and with the hearing a month from now, can I ask the court if it would
impose an award of support that would prevent me from emigrating to be with
my family?
Old August 15th 03, 10:01 AM
Chris Owens

John Doe wrote:

[...]

You, sir, are in deep deep trouble. Get a lawyer, now. A judge
is likely to consider you as having voluntarily lowered your
income, and not give you any consideration for it. Neither do
you get credit for having voluntarily added to your household
expenses to a point where you cannot afford to pay for support.

Chris Owens

Old August 18th 03, 03:17 AM

(Me) wrote:
"[i]f you have not been paying for a long time, you are probably going
to get stuck with a huge bill for back support along with interest. You
may also be facing felony charges depending on the amount. There is a
very good chance you will not be able to get a passport to get out of
the country either (or have any existing passport revoked). Your
driver's license may also be suspended. You could be stripped of any way
of making a living, handed a huge bill, and be told pay up or go to
jail. Not trying to scare you, but trying to give you a heads up of what
could be coming."

---"Me" is correct, and also allow me to throw in the fact that if you
manage to get out of the United States under these circumstances, you
may not be allowed back in, or you might be arrested at the airport.
This has happened before (and it may happen to my deadbeat sometime in
the future).

Old August 18th 03, 03:58 AM
teachrmama

wrote in message
...[i]
(Me) wrote:
[...]

You've taken ownership of poor old Romaldo, have you, Brian? Are you going
to have him branded if he comes back?