Christian adoption agency rejects Catholic couples because 'faiths are in conflict'

Old July 17th 05, 04:39 PM
wexwimpy

Default Christian adoption agency rejects Catholic couples because 'faiths are in conflict'

Stuff like this is what worrys me about all this faith based stuff
that Bush is trying.
Christian adoption agency rejects Catholic couples because 'faiths are
in conflict'

Associated Press
Posted July 15 2005, 3:28 PM EDT

JACKSON, Miss. -- A Christian adoption agency that receives money from
Choose Life license plate fees said it does not place children with
Roman Catholic couples because their religion conflicts with the
agency's ``Statement of Faith.''

Bethany Christian Services stated the policy in a letter to a Jackson
couple this month, and another Mississippi couple said they were
rejected for the same reason last year.

``It has been our understanding that Catholicism does not agree with
our Statement of Faith,'' Bethany's state director Karen Stewart
wrote. ``Our practice to not accept applications from Catholics was an
effort to be good stewards of an adoptive applicant's time, money and
emotional energy.''

Sandy and Robert Steadman, who learned of Bethany's decision in a July
8 letter, said their priest told them the faith statement did not
conflict with Catholic teaching.

Loria Williams of nearby Ridgeland said she and her husband, Wes, had
a similar experience when they started to pursue an adoption in
September 2004.

``I can't believe an agency that's nationwide would act like this,''
Loria Williams said. ``There was an agency who was Christian based but
wasn't willing to help people across the board.''

Bethany, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., has 75 offices in 30 states,
including three in Mississippi. The offices are independently
incorporated and are affiliated with various religions, spokesman John
Van Valkenburg said from the agency headquarters. He couldn't say
whether any were Catholic-affiliated.

He said the Jackson office is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church
of America.

``They included this practice of not including Catholics,'' Van
Valkenburg said Friday.

Stewart told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger that Bethany's board will
review its policy, but she didn't specify which aspects will be
addressed.

The agency's Web site says all Bethany staff and adoptive applicants
personally agree with the faith statement, which describes belief in
the Christian Church and the Scripture. It does not refer to any
specific branches of Christianity.

``As the Savior, Jesus takes away the sins of the world,'' the
statement says in part. ``Jesus is the one in whom we are called to
put our hope, our only hope for forgiveness of sin and for
reconciliation with God and with one another.''

Sandy Steadman said she was hurt and disappointed that Bethany
received funds from the Choose Life car license plates. ``I know of a
lot of Catholics who get those tags,'' she said.

She added: ``If it's OK to accept our money, it should be OK to open
your home to us as a family.''

Bethany is one of 24 adoption and pregnancy counseling centers in
Mississippi that receives money from the sale of Choose Life tags, a
special plate that motorists can obtain with an extra fee.

Of $244,000 generated by the sale of the tags in 2004, Bethany
received $7,053, said Geraldine Gray, treasurer of Choose Life
Mississippi, which distributes the money.

``It is troubling to me if they are discriminating based on only the
Catholics,'' Gray said.

The Bethany spokesman, van Valkenburg, said the offices in Mississippi
do not receive any public money, but that some offices in other states
do, for example, because they are involved in foster care.

___

On the Net:

Bethany Christian Services, http://www.bethany.org

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18