Birth Control... TMI post.. lol

Old December 22nd 04, 09:46 PM
Anne Rogers

For me that would be mostly a financial questions. IUD's aren't cheap. If
your
insurance covers a reasonable portion of the cost, I wouldn't hestitate to
use
one for just a couple of years. If you're paying OOP, you'd have to ask
yourself if it's worth the expense to YOU. (My Mirena cost about $500 --
I had
to have it removed after only a few months, and I'm SUPPOSED to be getting
refund from the manufacturer. I need to call them again about it....)

is there no way of getting cheap or free contraception if you are "in need",
I know Tori has mentioned WIC, can they help?

we get free contraception here, I guess the theory is providing
contraception is cheaper than providing everything that a child would get!

Tori, you say the pill makes you moody, I found that on the combined pill,
but the progesterone only pill works fantastic for me, have you tried that?

Old December 22nd 04, 09:49 PM
Anne Rogers

Can't offer much advice to the OP, since we started trying immediately
when my cycles *finally* came back (13 months after birth) and it took
us 7 months to get there. DH doesn't like condoms but prefers them to
abstinence , so that's what we use for shorter term BC. We get
Kimonos online, which are more comfy for him and much thinner than the
average 7-11 variety (and cheaper, too). Hope that's not an over-share.

in our house it's me that hates the condoms, and to be frank I do prefer
abstinance, I literally get no pleasure at all with a condom, after this
little one arrives I might look into other varieties, thanks for the info.

Old December 22nd 04, 10:26 PM
Tori M.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
news:1103751998.9926077247be03e2c5a46cdc833cf0e6@t eranews...
For me that would be mostly a financial questions. IUD's aren't cheap.
If your
insurance covers a reasonable portion of the cost, I wouldn't hestitate
to use
one for just a couple of years. If you're paying OOP, you'd have to ask
yourself if it's worth the expense to YOU. (My Mirena cost about $500 --
I had
to have it removed after only a few months, and I'm SUPPOSED to be
getting a
refund from the manufacturer. I need to call them again about it....)

is there no way of getting cheap or free contraception if you are "in
need", I know Tori has mentioned WIC, can they help?

we get free contraception here, I guess the theory is providing
contraception is cheaper than providing everything that a child would get!

Tori, you say the pill makes you moody, I found that on the combined pill,
but the progesterone only pill works fantastic for me, have you tried
that?

I can get birth control free since we are on Medicaid (state health ins.) I
dont know what it is called but I HAVE taken Ortho-tricylean.. my mom almost
killed me after the first month The dr THEN prescribed the last color of
the ortho tricyclean before the placebo.. if that makes sense.. That did not
make me as moody but I still have a hard time with the oral meds... I may
just go back on that or see if I can get a mirena IUD DH said he does not
want to TTC again until Bonnie is school aged but in 18 months she will be 4
1/4 so IF I got pg right away she would be closer 5 That is school aged
right? Oh I never figured out WHY Bonnie had to be school aged since I am
going to homeschool.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Old December 22nd 04, 10:29 PM
Tori M.

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:32:17 -0600, Tori M. wrote:

When those of you are TTC and you chart your body temp how do you do
that?

I use a whole range of things: temperature and CM are not the best in my
case, but CP is definitely clear each cycle. However, with you saying that
you cannot reach your cervix, that may be tricky ;-)

What I found useful, was using an ovulation tester that looks at your
saliva. If it dries up in a fern pattern, you are in your fertile period.
It is not very helpful on its own, and it requires some learning how to
read it, but can give you a better clue if temping isn't as clear as you
would like.

Oh DUH.. lol I actualy got pregnant using one of those and then gave the
thing away to someone that was TTC for a year before I started and still had
not had a +.. Now she is pregnant so I really should see if she still has
it.. It was really easy to use especialy after I figured out how to change
the magnification of it

Tori

Old December 22nd 04, 10:45 PM
Naomi Pardue

is there no way of getting cheap or free contraception if you are "in need",
I know Tori has mentioned WIC, can they help?

I don't think WIC covers that kind of thing. But Planned Parenthood has a
sliding scale, and low income folks would be eligible for cheap or free
contraception. They may not have the particular method you are interested in
though. (At my local office I could have gotten a copper IUD, but they didn't
have the Mirena.

I found that on the combined pill,
but the progesterone only pill works fantastic for me, have you tried that?

She said she had problems with depo, which uses the same basic hormones as the
progersterone-only pill. It may be worth a try, but she may not like it.

Naomi
Old December 23rd 04, 02:52 AM
Kaybee

She said she had problems with depo, which uses the same basic hormones as
the
progersterone-only pill. It may be worth a try, but she may not like it.

I was allergic to depo. Found out the hard way after planned parent hood
gave me 3 shots. (in the proper months) I told them that I was sick as a
dog for about 3 weeks after and they said that it must of been something
different. Then my insurance kicked in and I went to the OB and got a shot.
I called them about 2 days later about being sick and they had me come in.
They ran tests and found out that I was allergic to it. Needless to say my
last shot was a week before my wedding so I was sick on my wedding day.

But the progesterone pill was ok with me. No side effects well none that I
know of.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Naomi

Old December 23rd 04, 05:54 AM
Jenrose

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
news:1103751998.9926077247be03e2c5a46cdc833cf0e6@t eranews...
For me that would be mostly a financial questions. IUD's aren't cheap.
If your
insurance covers a reasonable portion of the cost, I wouldn't hestitate
to use
one for just a couple of years. If you're paying OOP, you'd have to ask
yourself if it's worth the expense to YOU. (My Mirena cost about $500 --
I had
to have it removed after only a few months, and I'm SUPPOSED to be
getting a
refund from the manufacturer. I need to call them again about it....)

is there no way of getting cheap or free contraception if you are "in
need", I know Tori has mentioned WIC, can they help?

In the states, FPAP will pay for most low-income contraception, but last I
checked, they would do Paragard but not Mirena, due to cost.

Which sucked, because while I'm a great candidate for Mirena, I'm lousy for
Paragard.

Jenrose

Old December 23rd 04, 05:56 AM
Jenrose

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:32:17 -0600, Tori M. wrote:

When those of you are TTC and you chart your body temp how do you do
that?

I use a whole range of things: temperature and CM are not the best in my
case, but CP is definitely clear each cycle. However, with you saying that
you cannot reach your cervix, that may be tricky ;-)

What I found useful, was using an ovulation tester that looks at your
saliva. If it dries up in a fern pattern, you are in your fertile period.
It is not very helpful on its own, and it requires some learning how to
read it, but can give you a better clue if temping isn't as clear as you
would like.

The ferning thing only works for some of us. I tend to fern a lot, whether
or not I'm really fertile, so it's lousy for bc for me.

Jenrose

Old December 23rd 04, 01:03 PM
JennP

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message

!!!!! Do you make IUDs out of solid platinum in the US, or what??
They're about £7 - 9 over here.

LOL! They should be for that price, huh? I wonder why the huge discrepancy.

JennP.

Old December 23rd 04, 06:52 PM
Buzzy Bee

On 23 Dec 2004 12:23:14 GMT, OSPAM (Naomi Pardue)
wrote:

don't cover the
device, only the insertion and removal. IIRC, the device will be about
$300.

!!!!! Do you make IUDs out of solid platinum in the US, or what??
They're about £7 - 9 over here.

I'm sure they cost about the same over there, but your national health
insurance just covers more of the cost.

Checking the BNF, Sarah is quoting the net price the NHS pays for each
device. So yes, they really do cost the NHS a mere 5% of the price
you are being charged in the US. Its a fairly common phenomenon for
drug (and device) costs to be cheaper in a single-payer health economy
than in an insurance funded one such as the US. Its why it is cheaper
for US patients to have their prescriptions filled in Canada, New
Zealand or the UK. I have to admit that this is an extreme example
though!

Patients pay nothing to have an IUD fitted in the UK: all
contraceptives are exempt from NHS prescription charges, be they the
pill or contraceptive devices like IUDs, diaphragms, Norplant etc.
Family planning clinics and some doctors surgeries (my own, for
example, as it has a large number of students registered) provide
condoms as well (though only in packs of 10 or 12 and just the plain
ones, nothing coloured or flavoured, much to the chagrin of certain of
my friends when I was a student!)

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours.
http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com