School uniforms should be enforced in schools

Old July 31st 07, 01:31 PM posted to misc.education,misc.kids
Beliavsky

Default School uniforms should be enforced in schools

On Jul 11, 12:52 pm, Jeffrey J Weimer wrote:
In article ,
Hitchinson_rachael wrote:
Promote democratic evolution and win cash! Please vote on the following
opinion if you get a moment:

School uniforms should be enforced in schools
http://www.votivation.com/opinion.php?opinion_id=2266

I think that: If they were then discipline would improve dramatically.
Children need to know when to step into line and uniform is the first step.
Let the small things slip and everything else does too.
Because: Discipline must improve in schools

Posted by: Hitchinson_rachael
http://www.votivation.com/profile.ph...512842c1ff788b...
99b593fb

Thanks for your time.

The Votivation Team
www.votivation.com

Yep! And parents should be required to dress in uniforms too, so their
little ones know what "lead by example" really means.

I don't have a uniform, but my office, like many others, does have a
dress code -- business casual. Men wear long-sleeve dress shirts and
dress slacks. I think such a dress code for boys and male teachers in
public schools would make sense. I guess something analogous could
apply to girls and female teachers as well. Proper attire can help
people get in the right frame of mind. I am not sure whether we will
send our children to public or private schools, but my wife and I
would be unimpressed with a private school where kids wear jeans and t-
shirts.

Old July 31st 07, 02:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Its funny, but the people who object most to school uniforms tend to
be the ones who never wore them.

Personally, I thought and still do think they were brilliant school
wear. I spent no time agonizing over what to wear. Everyone was the
same whether they lived in a mansion or a run down apartment (and our
neighbourhood had kids from a wide range of incomes).Yeah, I know,
kids find ways to exert status with accessories etc. but it certainly
helped. It also was a good security feature in terms of intruders.

I think it was be easy to come up with a comfortable non-embarrassing,
non-itchy uniform that was composed of mix and match pieces - i.e. a
choice of a couple of shirt types, maybe a matching sweatshirt or
cardigan, pants, a skort or bermuda shorts (solves the short skirt
problem).

Whats not to like?

Personally, I'd largely agree. It does make everything
a lot easier. On the other hand, I'd like to point out (given
the OP's snub of jeans and t-shirts) that a number of schools
have gone to uniforms consisting of jeans (neat, plain, not
holey) and t-shirts (usually school t-shirts) and have experienced
all of the benefits ascribed to cute little plaid skirts and
cardigans.

Another thing to keep in mind is how well the uniform holds up to kid-wear
and washing. Business casual dress might work great in a high school, but
those crisp, white button down shirts won't be crisp or white for long on a
5 yr old if that 5 yr old is doing normal 5 yr old things.

My former school district went to a uniform dress code. Khaki or Navy pants
(Dockers type), jumpers, skirts (at or below knee), shorts, or skorts, white
polo shirts or button down shirts, tennis shoes. Sweaters, sweatshirts, or
jackets worn in the building had to be white, navy or Khaki. Most teachers
went to the same style of attire, often adding a blazer or just a slightly
more professional style.

At the beginning of the year, it worked great, parents loved it, teachers
loved it. However, by the middle of the year, those white shirts weren't
white on anyone below about 3rd or 4th grade. Most of our urban parents
couldn't afford to do separate loads of whites with bleach, and regular
washing just didn't do it anymore.

The next year, Navy tops were added as a color choice, and suggested for
young children. A navy polo with a khaki jumper looks great, and held up
much, much better through repeated wear and washing.

Old July 31st 07, 02:40 PM posted to misc.education,misc.kids
[email protected]

Its funny, but the people who object most to school uniforms tend to
be the ones who never wore them.

I went to public school in Montreal many years back - and we wore
uniforms (white blouses, navy tunics for girls, navy pants and white
shirts for boys). They were loose, and comfortable, they looked clean
and neat, and they were inexpensive - they were washable, and they had
uniform exchange events to keep the costs down. It actually saved my
parents a lot of money back then - I didn't need as many clothes.

Personally, I thought and still do think they were brilliant school
wear. I spent no time agonizing over what to wear. Everyone was the
same whether they lived in a mansion or a run down apartment (and our
neighbourhood had kids from a wide range of incomes).Yeah, I know,
kids find ways to exert status with accessories etc. but it certainly
helped. It also was a good security feature in terms of intruders.

I think it was be easy to come up with a comfortable non-embarrassing,
non-itchy uniform that was composed of mix and match pieces - i.e. a
choice of a couple of shirt types, maybe a matching sweatshirt or
cardigan, pants, a skort or bermuda shorts (solves the short skirt
problem).

Whats not to like? I see the stuff MY three kids wear to school now
(same as what their friends wear) and I know they are going to be in
for a shock if they ever have office jobs. I do exert control over the
stuff with major holes, rude slogans, too much skin etc. but even then
- oy, even the stuff they want to wear to social events is just
horrible (i.e. I'm taking them to a family event, and we are having a
big argument about getting out of the jeans with the knees out of
them, or the tee with stains).

Mary

Old July 31st 07, 04:24 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:57:52 -0400, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I also agree. DS's school used to have uniforms, but so many parents
requested exemptions that they just have a strict dress code now. I would
rather have the uniforms so that I don't have to think about whether the
things I buy conform to the dress code.

I bought a bunch of shorts that don't conform to the dress code at all (too
long and wide); but so far, no one has complained.
Old July 31st 07, 07:26 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

In the district where my niece attends school, the uniform is as
follows:
Pants, bermuda shorts, jumper or skirt of the student's choice as long
as they are black, navy, khaki or grey. Oh, and school uniform sweat
pants on gym day.
Collared Shirt with buttons (long sleeve or short sleeve, oxford
button up style or polo style or collared blouse) in white, yellow or
light blue.
Sweater or Sweatshirt allowed as long as it is solid colored, gray,
navy, black, or tan.

I think there are rules about shoes too (sneakers only on gym day
perhaps? definitely no flip flops or sandals)

There is a ton of room in there to 'personalize' and mix and match.
Parents can buy whatever brand they want...these types of things are
readily available at Walmart, KMart and Target all the way up to
LLBean and Land's End.

Old July 31st 07, 10:50 PM posted to misc.education,misc.kids
nimue

wrote:

snip

It also was a good security feature in terms of intruders.

THAT is one of the main reasons I can think of to support school uniforms.
In NYC, there will often be three or four schools in one building. Without
uniforms, kids can go from floor to floor, school to school, unchecked,
usually to start fights. If a fight does start, or if an attack is made, we
often have no idea who the kid is or what school he is from. School
uniforms would really be a help with that problem.

--
nimue

"Let your freak-flag fly, and if someone doesn't get you, move on."
Drew Barrymore

Old August 1st 07, 01:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

On Jul 31, 9:17 am, "Donna Metler" wrote:
[...]

much, much better through repeated wear and washing.- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes, I don't know *what* they're thinking when they come up with
those dress codes or uniforms. White shirts and young kids just don't
mix; heck, white shirts and ME don't mix all that well! Kudos to your
district for recognizing that.

One of One's friends attends a G&T in NYC that requires *yellow*
shirts. Yellow. I don't know if I've ever met anyone who looks good
in yellow. And it's not like yellow shirts are all that easy to find.

One's school has a dress code -- shirts with collars and at least 2
buttons, no shorts or jeans for boys; shirts with at least some
sleeve, not low cut, must at least hit waistband, and skirts at least
to the knee for girls; no open back shoes for anyone. It works well
enough, I suppose; at least One doesn't complain about it.

Barbara

Old August 1st 07, 09:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
toypup wrote:

I also agree. DS's school used to have uniforms, but so many parents
requested exemptions that they just have a strict dress code now.

Any idea why they requested exemptions? Every now and again we have some

git
here complaining that school uniform is stunting his little darling's
individuality.

The only excemptions I've seen granted here are things that the district
should have thought of and didn't-for example, the original uniform
disallowed hats/scarves in the building, so immediately Moslem and some of
the Jewish parents requested excemptions for their children. Due to St.
Judes, we also often have children who are in the process of chemotherapy,
and not too surprisingly, these parents also wished their child to have a
choice of wearing a hat or scarf if they chose to cover their hair
loss/regrowth (most kids stop doing so after a few days or weeks. One side
effect of having the hospital here is that the local children are very
familiar with having schoolmates who have cancer and understand the
process).

A small revision of the uniform code took care of both those
problems-hats/scarves in school uniform colors are now permitted provided
the parent notifies the child's teacher at registration or on the first day
of school.

There was some muttering and grumbling, particularly from parents of
teenagers on the "it stifles my child's creativity" front (and on the "I
can't tell her what to wear-she's 16" one), but in general, those were
ignored and the complaints faded within the first few months.