New Problem

Old June 9th 04, 04:26 PM
Kender

Default New Problem

Well Morgan informed me this morning she does not like being a twin. She
does not like looking like someone else (they are ID). She does not like
people pointing out her sister to her at lunch or in the halls. Morgan was
crying while she told me all this. She said she doesn't like looking at
pictures of her and Megan because she can't tell her and her sister apart.
Also their clothes are too much alike (alike?, they share clothes!). Megan
told me Morgan has not even been playing with her at recess, she just runs
away when Megan comes over. WOW. I tried the old, "You're special because
you're a twin", but that just got a roll of the eyes and another statement
that she does not want to be a twin. Where do I go from here? Should I drop
it or do you have suggestions? Thanks.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Old June 9th 04, 05:13 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Kender wrote:
Well Morgan informed me this morning she does not like being a twin. She
does not like looking like someone else (they are ID). She does not like
people pointing out her sister to her at lunch or in the halls. Morgan was
crying while she told me all this. She said she doesn't like looking at
pictures of her and Megan because she can't tell her and her sister apart.
Also their clothes are too much alike (alike?, they share clothes!). Megan
told me Morgan has not even been playing with her at recess, she just runs
away when Megan comes over. WOW. I tried the old, "You're special because
you're a twin", but that just got a roll of the eyes and another statement
that she does not want to be a twin. Where do I go from here? Should I drop
it or do you have suggestions? Thanks.

How about different clothes and different hair styles?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old June 9th 04, 06:40 PM
Kender

We do have different hairstyles. Morgan's is a short bob (though she's
growing it out) and Megan's is really long. As for the clothes they do tend
to wear certain things over and over where I don't tend to see it on the
other.

I think the biggest problem Morgan has is the reaction she gets from other
kids. She is really getting tired of being called Megan. Yesterday they were
passing out balloons in the cafeteria and Morgan got hers, and then Megan
went up to get one and the lady said she already gave her one (but it was
Morgan who'd gotten her balloon). Unless people see them together they don't
even realize they're twins. One parent came up to me the other day and told
me she didn't realize I had twins even though we've been there 2 years. I
suggested to the girls that maybe they should be in class together one year
so the kids would get used to them being together and alike. Morgan didn't
like that idea.

Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97
Evan 5/14/00

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message news:RGGxc.718588$Ig.574907@pd7tw2no...

Old June 9th 04, 10:15 PM
Marie

Wow...I think I feel lucky my guys aren't ID.

It sounds like Morgan is going through a really rough time: how is Megan
reacting?

One way to go is to help Morgan find a *totally* different look from her
sister: I know one mom of ID girls who allowed one girl to colour her hair
blue and the other one pink for a summer--no way they got mixed up then.

Another way is what my hubby's cousin did for her ID twin boys: had
t-shirts made for them that said "I'm KURT, he's RYAN" and "I'm RYAN, he's
KURT" When my boys were born she had a pair made for them, in the
encompanying note, she said that her boys found the t-shirts helpful when
they were being treated as a single entity: "the Twins." In a
light-hearted way, it pointed out to people that they really were two
seperate people. While I worry about putting the boys' names across their
chests, in a safe environment I can see using a ploy like this.

One thought: could Morgan's distress come from her not being comfortable of
herself as an individual? (Sorry, that's worded really badly and I don't
know you but...) I mean that, when she says she doesn't want to be a twin,
rather than trying to make her feel good about that part, help her see she
is so much more. I sometimes worry, as I watch how people treat my guys,
that they are being taught that they are a twin first and a person second.
Even though they aren't ID, I wonder how much of my future time is going to
be spent having to help them discover what is special about *them* as
people, and how very little of that has to do with an accident of birth.

Good luck.

Marie
Chris and Alex--born 04/23/03 at 31wks gestational :-)