What to mix with formula besides water to make taste better?

Old June 27th 07, 02:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Default What to mix with formula besides water to make taste better?

wrote:

however, she did exhibit all of the same symptoms that my son did that
eventually led us to the lacto free. She had HORRIBLE gas pain when
on the breast milk alone but thankfully that got better when we
started using cereal.

This probably means she is sensitive to dairy
that your wife is ingesting. Babies are VERY
seldom sensitive to lactose. Breastmilk has
7.0 g/100ml and cow's milk has 4.8 g/100ml,
almost double:

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food/8F174e/8F174E04.htm

If baby were truly lactose intolerant, the
symptoms would be diarrhea, bad stools, all
the way to failure to thrive:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html

Part of the problem also is that she is starting to show increasing
preference to the solid foods than the breast/bottle, so that makes
the feed-in idea a bit more difficult.

For the first 12 months, breastmilk or
formula should be the primary food. So,
offer breastmilk or formula first and only
offer solids at one or two meals in the
day.

Note: baby could also be going through
a growth spurt and therefore want to nurse
a lot more.

-- Anita --
Old June 27th 07, 05:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 5:21 pm, wrote:
My daughter is about 7months old, and my wife's milk supply is
starting to diminish.
We started mixing cereal with her milk to bulk it up about a month or
so ago, and she took to that readily.
We have been trying to find something to help supplement her
increasing diet, especially when she is hungry at night.
Although we have had some success mixing small amounts of formula with
breast milk and cereal, she will not take the formula when mixed with
water.
We have been trying the Enfamil lacto free lipil (which my son took
with no problem when he was an infant, but I guess my daughter is
pickier)
Clearly we want to find something she will eat besides breast milk so
that we are prepared.
1) Is there anything else we can try to mix with formula besides water
to make it better tasting? I am wondering about soy milk, or rice
milk.
2) Anyone know of a better tasting formula to try?

I have a 5 month old and he has always been on formula. I think you
just need to keep giving it to her and eventually she will eat it. I
just started giving him cereal on a spoon and he hated it for the
first 2 days, but now he loves it. He is in enfamil pro soybean and he
has never had a problem. She will get used to it, but you need to be
able to deal w a few nights of crying. As far as nightime goes, is she
still waking up to eat. At 7 months she should be sleeping through the
night. I think...

What to mix with formula besides water to make taste better? [email protected] Pregnancy 7 June 27th 07 05:52 PM
Should I use bottled baby water to make formula, to avoid dental fluorosis? Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward General 21 April 20th 07 07:23 PM
formula and water Jean Kids Health 1 June 28th 04 10:55 PM
Spring water and formula Tig General 13 January 23rd 04 02:01 PM
formula taste a threat?? iphigenia Breastfeeding 3 July 25th 03 12:11 AM