sleep question

Old June 28th 07, 01:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
shell8279

Default sleep question

I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

Old June 28th 07, 03:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"shell8279" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

My DD2 is 8 months old. She normally goes to bed around 9pm, wakes to feed
normally around 630-7am and falls asleep until about 830am.
Sounds right on track to me. DD2 basically has the same
waking/eating/sleeping as yours does, just slightly different times. Works
out to be about the same anyways, regardless of bed time, waking time in the
AM and waking up for the day.

Old June 28th 07, 03:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jun 28, 8:08?am, shell8279 wrote:
I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

It is a normal pattern for many babies. Not all babies follow the same
schedule though. They pretty much set their own schedule for you to
follow until they are old enough for you to start manipulating/
tweaking it here and there. My newborn consistently went 5 hours
between nursing sessions straight from the getgo. It took my body a
bit to adjust to it, but my baby also slept 10 hours a night early on,
somewhere around 6 months. If baby wakes and is hungry, most
definitely feed her.

Old June 28th 07, 03:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

shell8279 wrote:

I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

She sounds very normal. 8 hours is a good
chunk of sleep.

-- Anita --
Old June 28th 07, 09:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Jun 28, 6:08 am, shell8279 wrote:
I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

Put her to bed later.

Old June 29th 07, 02:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Engram

shell8279 wrote:
I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

My DD is 8 and 1/2 months old. She goes to bed around 7 - 7:30 pm and wakes
up around 3 - 3:30 am for a feed, then sleeps until around 7am. My DS used
to do the same at around this age. It's perfectly normal.

Engram

Old June 29th 07, 03:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Jun 28, 7:08 am, shell8279 wrote:
I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

DD will be one year on Tuesday and still nurses every 3 hours or so.

Old June 29th 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article . com,
shell8279 wrote:

I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

Sounds perfectly fine to me!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old June 29th 07, 07:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

shell8279 wrote:
I have a 7 mo. old who I am still nursing (in addition to feeding her
solids). She goes to bed around 7 pm, wakes up around 3 am then wakes
for good around 6:30 am. When she awakes at 3 she wants to nurse. I
cannot get her to go back to sleep unless I do this. Is this pattern
normal for a 7 mo. old? I figured 8 hrs (7-3) is a long to go without
eating. Am I wrong?

most people have the opposite question, is it normal to only sleep 2-3
hrs at this age, which it is, it's also normal to sleep 8hrs, once they
are beyond the newborn stage, it's almost impossible for a baby to sleep
too much (plenty sleep too little!), a healthy baby will not stay asleep
, if they need to eat, they'd have to be really unwell for them to sleep
through their need to eat. This doesn't apply for very young babies,
when jaundice can cause sleepiness and they do need to be woken and
encouraged to feed. I disagree with whoever said put them to bed later,
chances are is that will just make her fussy in the evening. If you want
to shift the hours she has her long sleep, you can try waking her up
after 3-4hrs sleep, and hope she has the longer phase afterwards, but it
doesn't always work, they sometimes won't wake or feed well and
sometimes still do the later waking.

Cheers
Anne
Old June 29th 07, 01:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeni Steers

I didn't want to hear the answer to this either but my ds didnt give up his
night feed till he was over 8mths. And he was waking earlier in the morning
than your lo. I agree with Anne - for us putting him to bed later didn't
work and it was actually harder to get him down as he was so cranky. Gave
that idea up pretty quick! I can say though for me bf'ing only felt 100%
rewarding when he dropped this feed and we happily continued till over 15
mnths. Hang in there!

Jeni