wedding hesitation... :(

Old January 10th 04, 05:51 AM
Maria Danielle Darst

Default wedding hesitation... :(

"Jill" wrote in message
news

"Allie" wrote
I was also in a wedding and ordered my dress 2 sizes up from
my regular size and tailored it down a little bit the week before the
weddding.

Allie

I was really shocked at how the bridal store, instead of having me size up

couple sizes and then alter down to fit, had me order one of the largest
sizes they had the dress in, something like a 22, and then altered it down
to a 12. I was horrified, thinking that would never look right but it

looked
like the dress was made to fit me. I had to have it altered about 3 times
before it finally fit though, they were skittish about taking it in too

much
even though they measured me. I thought I'd go in there, get measured, and
they would order me one size up or something and tailor it to me.

If I ever had to worry about a dress again enough ahead of an event where

was worried about a change in size (gain OR loss), I would probably go

ahead
and find the dress and just plan on the alterations being checked on
periodically...I am not sure if this will work with certain dress styles
though. I wore an off the shoulder dress and was amazed that the torso

could
be taken in as much as it was, and it not be evident....

I actually had a wedding dress that fit me very well right off of the
rack...pity it's still hanging in my closet with the tags on it. DH
and I just went to JOP at the courthouse and got married.

But when ordering prom dresses, I had this issue.....the ladies in the
boutique were nice enough to tell us that if you ordered over a size 18 you
were charged more b/c you were getting into plus sizes.....it would have
added any where from $75-100 depending on the dress. Not including any
alteration charges. : (

Anyway, just one thing to think of....

Old January 10th 04, 06:14 AM
CY

Jody

I have looked at the dress and it's lovely! However, if you will not be
nursing IMO it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will have a figure that you will
be happy with 2 mths PP. That dress is very fitted and (as someone who
sews) is not something that could be easily altered unless you buy it wayyy
big, and then it may not look right if you don't get a REALLY good
seamstress to fix it for you. The sleeves and back are very beaded and they
will not be able to be let out and it may look off balance if you take them
in. It also looks boned which may be a problem to take in. I would
seriously consider talking to a GOOD seamstress before you buy this dress
(and also reconsider nursing, even if you only do it until the wedding so
that you lose weight quicker! btw why have you decided already not to
breastfeed without trying it, if that's not too personal??).

Secondly, you will be amazed at how little you will want to be away from
your baby at 2 mths pp. A whole weekend is going to seem like a lifetime.
I mean, think back to the time when you first found out you were pregnant.
It's not that long is it, and that's how long you will have been with this
tiny new baby?! Not only that but you will be leaving the baby with your
(soon to be) MIL who says the baby will cry the whole time at the wedding,
yet you also say she knows a lot about babies and as most of the other
posters here have said, the baby probably won't cry and may very likely
sleep through the whole thing.

I know it's not easy, but could you consider postponing the wedding until a
little longer after, especially since you've said that you are basically
doing this wedding for everyone else anyway? You are probably going to be
WIPED out, and in no mood for a big party. I was a full time caregiver for
my husband after a motor cycle accident - I couldn't leave his side to even
go to work, and I thought I knew what tired was until I had a needy
newborn!!! It doesn't even compare. So the last details you'll need to do
before your wedding day are not going to be fun. I had a tiny wedding which
I organized in 6 weeks, but the last week before it was chaos. I cannot
imagine what that would have been like 2 mths pp.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw some things out there that you may not have
thought about or considered. Of course it's your day and life and most of
us here just want to help, so feel free to read and discard. I tend to be
opinionated!!

Good luck!

CY

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
I plan on doing any alterations that I'm almost sure will be needed...

well
getting them done, not doing them myself lol. I really want the baby there
and Matt's mother just thinks the baby will cry the whole time. My friend
will probably stay with the baby, if his mother doesn't during the

ceremony.
I probably won't have a problem finding someone to watch him/her. I just
didn't know what would be the best choice. We're spending a weekend away
after the wedding. His mother's going to baby-sit. She's a nurse and quite
smart with children so hopefully all will go well there.
Here's the dress I want to get...

http://rebeccarode.com/mori_lee_2313.html
We would have got married by now if possible but too much was just going

on.
My mother's death, tying up her lose ends, Matt trying to finish his last
year of university, paying the bills, getting renovations done to the

house,
ect. I own the house now, which my mother left to me.

I don't want to get married while I'm pregnant cause I don't want to see
pictures later and think 'Oh my God, I look so big' type thing. We also

need
the time to save up for the wedding.

I do like the idea of cutting down the ceremony... I just didn't know you
could. I don't really want a full length mass or anything. Especially

where
the wedding is going to be at 7pm anyways. It will just take longer to get
to the reception/dance and we only have the beach house reserved till 1am.
But I'm also kind of clueless as to what needs to be done to arrange a
wedding. I am so lost

"Angela Schepers" wrote in message
I recently got married last October and we had a Catholic ceremony. Is
it absolutely necessary that you have the full mass? The ceremony was
really nice (especially for me being a non-catholic) because it went
from extra-long to in and out in 40 minutes flat. I agree with what
everyone else has said about ordering the dress and whatever. You'd be
amazed at what alterations can be made.

Matt and I are getting married September 3rd of this year. I want to

order
my dress online. I'm waiting on an email back from the company to see

how
long shipping will take and how far in advance I should order it. My
problem: I'm due June 29th and I have no idea what size I'll be when I

get
married. What would you guys do? I really don't want to buy a dress

around
here. If I deliver by my due date, I'll have about two months to lose

the
water retention and weight. I don't know how successful that's going to

be
though.

Second problem: The baby will about two months old when we get married

and
it's going to be a Catholic ceremony... meaning probably long. For
sentimental reasons, I want my baby there. My mother won't be there as

she
just passed away October 22nd. I haven't seen my father in two years.
There's going to be very little immediate family there as it is. I'm

also
an
only child. But the logical thing is probably not to take the baby to

the
wedding. My future MIL doesn't think I should. I don't know what to do.

What
do you guys think?

Old January 10th 04, 05:49 PM
KR

I would certainly want our daughter there, but she tends to sleep away the
time we spend outside the house.

It would be cute to have her in a little wagon all decorated in white and
flowers and stuff! Have your flower girl or ring boy or somebody else
special pull him/her down the aisle in the wagon and have the baby close to
you during the ceremony! You almost need to wait and see how good she is
outside of your home!

I am such a sap, I just can't imagine having such a special thing happen and
not having such a special person there with us!!

KR

--
Jody
EDD 29/06/04

Old January 10th 04, 05:51 PM
KR

On the nursing and weight issue, it doesn't always come off that easy while
nursing and nobody can count on nursing since it just doesn't work out for
some people as much as they want it to!

I am 11 weeks pp and I still have 30 pounds go go to prepregnancy weight. I
still can't fit into my old clothes and am still wearing maternity clothes!

KR

"CY" wrote in message
Bring the baby. It's your wedding. Just have someone there you trust to
take of him/her.

If you will be nursing, you'll probably drop your baby weight quite

quickly
but if you don't get back down to pre-preg size by your wedding, you could
have your dress altered. The other option is to buy a forgiving style (ie
not fitted) and it won't matter as much if it doesn't quite fit you. Why
don't you want to get your dress locally?

Also, since you are only 12 weeks along (IIRC), couldn't you get married
BEFORE the baby is born and then you'll know what size you are?? That

would
solve all these problems! I planned my wedding in 5 weeks (not pregnant
though!) so it can be done relatively quickly, especially if it will be
small.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it!!

Old January 10th 04, 07:14 PM
Jody Pellerin

I seen this dress on the site and I think I like this one will be better.
It's in the plus sizes too and about the same price. It's not as fancy but
still nice. What do you think this one would be like to get altered?
http://rebeccarode.com/2_pc_venise_l...gown_2324.html
I think it will hide my lack of a figure pretty good. Even though I never
had much of one pre-pregnancy either.

Old January 10th 04, 10:04 PM
CY

This one will be easier since it is two piece and more flattering to a less
than slim figure but you are going to run into problems anytime you have
beading work around a seam, which this one has more of than the other one.
However, since this one laces up, that may take care of the problem and no
alterations would be necessary if by a miracle you get one close enough to
the size you'll be pp. Have you gained much weight so far? This one is
definitely a bit easier to alter but I would still show this to the person
who will be altering it before you buy it. Hope this all works out for
you...

Old January 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Kris from Aus

Everyone's different. I actually weighed about 5 kg lighter after the birth
than before I got pregnant. But during breast feeding my weight piled on. Up
to 5 kg more than before I was pregnant. I stopped breast feeding 3 months
ago and have lost half of it. My body just seemed to want to store fat as a
reserve while I was breastfeeding.
Kris