Hamster bites?

Old January 5th 04, 08:25 AM
Jody Pellerin

Default Hamster bites?

I read somewhere that hamsters can carry a virus that's dangerous to
pregnant women. Does anybody know anything about this? We recently bought
two hamsters and one of them did bite me. Though it has long since healed,
I'm still a little concerned.

I also updated my website with pictures of our pets, ect. There's a guest
book if anybody would like to leave messages. http://jodypellerin.ath.cx/
--
Jody
EDD 29/06/04

Old January 5th 04, 01:15 PM
Sue

We have hamsters and I am not aware of any problems with them biting. You
might be thinking of cats and toxioplasmosis. Other than the cats, I don't
think there should be a problem. As always though, ask your doctor. )

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 5th 04, 05:22 PM
Jody Pellerin

I know all about toxoplasmosis and that's not it. Totally different. It's
this, actually...
http://www.ahsc.arizona.edu/opa/answers/jan02.htm
Somebody replied to me in an email and answered my question.

Old January 5th 04, 09:41 PM
Amy

Does anyone know if rabbits count? Rabbits are not a rodent as most people
believe but a lagomorph. I still worry though about cleaning out our bunny's
cage. At least with the uncertainty it's a good excuse not to put my head in
a smelly rabbit hutch, so DH has been doing it instead ;-)

Old January 6th 04, 04:35 AM
New York Jen

I know that there is something that hamsters carry, I looked into it when I
was pregnant with my son because someone had mentioned it. It's only a
specific type of hamster (I think some type of Asian dwarf hamster) and not
ones bred in the US.

Don't sweat it, it's VERY rare if possible at all.

Old January 6th 04, 04:44 AM
Jody Pellerin

The email I received today was from a vet and perhaps she'll be willing to
go into more detail on it but there are hamsters in the US that carry it and
they can be tested for it. And it's carried by rodents so any other type of
hamster, if exposes, probably wouldn't be an exception.

Old January 6th 04, 11:46 AM
Linz

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:41:40 +1300, "Amy"
wrote:

Does anyone know if rabbits count? Rabbits are not a rodent as most people
believe but a lagomorph. I still worry though about cleaning out our bunny's
cage. At least with the uncertainty it's a good excuse not to put my head in
a smelly rabbit hutch, so DH has been doing it instead ;-)

I was momentarily confused there and wondered how we could check
rabbity counting skills!
--
Linz
YB: 11 weeks, around 13lbs
Old January 6th 04, 12:26 PM
Sue

That's good to know. Thank you. )
--

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

DYFS head NJ resigns...Ho, hum another one bites the dust Kane General 0 December 20th 03 02:26 AM
hives (?) or bites? Rash? Jan General 4 December 11th 03 09:40 PM
Infected Mosquito Bites cloud nine General 2 August 1st 03 08:46 AM
Dog bites increase over summer [email protected] General 0 July 6th 03 07:14 PM