wedding hesitation... :(

Old January 8th 04, 07:39 AM
Jody Pellerin

Default wedding hesitation... :(

Matt and I are getting married September 3rd of this year. I want to order
my dress online. I'm waiting on an email back from the company to see how
long shipping will take and how far in advance I should order it. My
problem: I'm due June 29th and I have no idea what size I'll be when I get
married. What would you guys do? I really don't want to buy a dress around
here. If I deliver by my due date, I'll have about two months to lose the
water retention and weight. I don't know how successful that's going to be
though.

Second problem: The baby will about two months old when we get married and
it's going to be a Catholic ceremony... meaning probably long. For
sentimental reasons, I want my baby there. My mother won't be there as she
just passed away October 22nd. I haven't seen my father in two years.
There's going to be very little immediate family there as it is. I'm also an
only child. But the logical thing is probably not to take the baby to the
wedding. My future MIL doesn't think I should. I don't know what to do. What
do you guys think?

--
Jody
EDD 29/06/04

Old January 8th 04, 08:04 AM
CY

Bring the baby. It's your wedding. Just have someone there you trust to
take of him/her.

If you will be nursing, you'll probably drop your baby weight quite quickly
but if you don't get back down to pre-preg size by your wedding, you could
have your dress altered. The other option is to buy a forgiving style (ie
not fitted) and it won't matter as much if it doesn't quite fit you. Why
don't you want to get your dress locally?

Also, since you are only 12 weeks along (IIRC), couldn't you get married
BEFORE the baby is born and then you'll know what size you are?? That would
solve all these problems! I planned my wedding in 5 weeks (not pregnant
though!) so it can be done relatively quickly, especially if it will be
small.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it!!

Old January 8th 04, 09:04 AM
Jody Pellerin

I also don't want to get the dress locally cause I didn't see any I like,
they're also like triple the price. I also won't be breast feeding.

Old January 8th 04, 11:31 AM
Sue

Aww, you need baby there ) See if you can find a friend or other relative
(on your soon to be husband's side?) to take care of the baby during the
ceremony. Good luck.

As for how much you will weigh, well a good guess would be you would be back
down to your pre-pregnancy weight (especially if you are breastfeeding), but
there are no guarantees. Perhaps you could find a good tailor around you and
talk with them what the problem is going to be and then see if they would be
willing to take the dress in or let it out. I think though I would order a
size larger than you normally would.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 8th 04, 12:22 PM
Nancy P

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
Matt and I are getting married September 3rd of this year. I want to order
my dress online. I'm waiting on an email back from the company to see how
long shipping will take and how far in advance I should order it. My
problem: I'm due June 29th and I have no idea what size I'll be when I get
married. What would you guys do? I really don't want to buy a dress around
here. If I deliver by my due date, I'll have about two months to lose the
water retention and weight. I don't know how successful that's going to be
though.

I would order the dress several sizes bigger than usual. Also, if you're
going to nurse, take bust size into account. You may be as much as 2 cup
sizes larger than normal with an 8 week old baby. Is there someone in your
area who does alterations that you trust? You might want to consult/line
her up.

Also, I think you should bring the baby.
Nancy

Old January 8th 04, 12:35 PM
Anne Rogers

I would order the dress several sizes bigger than usual. Also, if you're
going to nurse, take bust size into account. You may be as much as 2 cup
sizes larger than normal with an 8 week old baby. Is there someone in your
area who does alterations that you trust? You might want to consult/line
her up.

if I had done that I would have ended up wearing a sack!

I don't fit in my wedding dress at the moment (we were married before I
got pregnant). But I weight the same 7 months pp as I did 1 week pp. Water
retention had gone within a few days, but that little extra fat around my
hips just doesn't want to shift! One size bigger would have fitted me
except my boobs in.

tbh I just wouldn't risk buying a dress whilst pregnant to wear
afterwards.

Old January 8th 04, 12:36 PM
Anne Rogers

I also don't want to get the dress locally cause I didn't see any I like,
they're also like triple the price. I also won't be breast feeding.

any particular reason for that? It's easier to get married when not
breastfeeding, but the rest of the time all that sterilisation is a lot of
hassle.

Old January 8th 04, 01:09 PM
Ilse Witch

Jody Pellerin wrote:
My future MIL doesn't think I should. I don't know what to do. What
do you guys think?

I think if you want the baby there, then you should. It is *your*
wedding and that is the one day in your life that everybody and
everything should be entirely at your service (and Matt's, of course). I
am sure there is a way to manage, at 2m old babies spend most of their
time sleeping anyway, and you can bring some EBM or formula to feed if
necessary during the ceremony. Perhaps a close friend could serve as
"babysitter" during the wedding, so you can ask him/her to change and
feed, but you will still have the baby near you all day.

As for the dress, that's a wild guess. If you have a "normal" birth,
there is no reason why you shouldn't fit in your regular clothes size
after 2 months, but there are many factors that can change that. I'd
rather order it one size larger, as you can always make it smaller, but
not bigger...

Good luck with all the preparations, you have a busy year ahead!

--
--I.

Old January 8th 04, 01:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Jody Pellerin wrote:

*Matt and I are getting married September 3rd of this year. I want to order
*my dress online. I'm waiting on an email back from the company to see how
*long shipping will take and how far in advance I should order it. My
*problem: I'm due June 29th and I have no idea what size I'll be when I get
*married. What would you guys do? I really don't want to buy a dress around
*here. If I deliver by my due date, I'll have about two months to lose the
*water retention and weight. I don't know how successful that's going to be
*though.

Erg. I wouldn't order a dress for my wedding in those circumstances! It
was bad enough having to have a bridesmaid's dress at 8 weeks postpartum.
Let me tell you, the seamstress guesstimated my final size totally wrong
and the thing looked really bad the day before the wedding. She did some
emergency surgery on the dress and it ended up looking barely passable. I
didn't care that much but it wasn't MY WEDDING! If you have to order in
advance, order a style that can easily be altered and order it big enough
that it will be ok if you don't lose too much weight, but can still be
altered to fit your normal prepregnancy weight. Make sure there is room in
the bust in particular. Also make sure the neck is stretchy or that you
can lift your breast out of the bodice or something so you will be able to
nurse!

*Second problem: The baby will about two months old when we get married and
*it's going to be a Catholic ceremony... meaning probably long. For
*sentimental reasons, I want my baby there. My mother won't be there as she
*just passed away October 22nd. I haven't seen my father in two years.
*There's going to be very little immediate family there as it is. I'm also an
*only child. But the logical thing is probably not to take the baby to the
*wedding. My future MIL doesn't think I should. I don't know what to do. What
*do you guys think?

This is a problem. I would not be willing to be separated from my two
month old infant for the length of a Catholic wedding (and he wouldn't be
willing to be away from me that long either - he nursed like every 60-90
minutes for, well, 30-60 minutes at a time!!), but then again I don't see
how one can focus totally on something else when one is holding a two
month old infant, either - and certainly one wants to focus on the
wedding! Biologically the baby probably needs to be there (I'm assuming
you will be breastfeeding as you didn't specify any problems in that
regard). Your best bet would be for someone baby knows very well (relative
or close friend or babysitter or whatever) to hold the baby right near
you. You may be able to get away with offering expressed milk at that age.
Make sure to nurse right before the ceremony and immediately after! If
it's more than about two hours long and baby isn't taking a bottle or
other food delivery system, I don't know how you would handle it other
than having someone hand you the baby to nurse.. ack. I imagine that could
be difficult given your MIL's attitude and I don't know your priest but
some might be against it I suppose...

I am intrigued by this problem. I wonder what Ericka has to say...