supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

Old October 12th 03, 09:22 PM
Jacqui Culverwell

Default supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

With my DD, I supplemeted with formula, and replaced one feed a day with a
bottle of formula when she was 4/5 months. I regret this now, as I am sure
that brought on the end of our BF. With DS, I BF exclusively for 6mths,
pumping when I needed a bottle for occasional childcare. I found that
around 6mhs though, I was only able to pump about 1-3oz of milk - not enough
for a bottle for childcare. So I now give a bottle of formula for the times
when he is in childcare.

For solids, again I think I did the wrong thing by my DD! I mistook her
3mth growth spurt as she needs solids. Lots of friendly advice from nearly
everyone around me was to give her some baby rice - she looks like she needs
it. I diligently gave her a teaspoon of baby rice twice a day, forcing it
down her because she needed it and it seemed to settle her (she stopped
needing feeding every two hours, hadn't she?) . Looking back now I can
interpert this as 3mth growth spurt, and milk supply catching up with demand
at the same time as I introduced rice. She was completly uninterested in
solids until 6mths, when she suddenly started wolfing everything down that I
could give her! Oh well.

This time, DS was interested in solids at about 4.5mths. He has eaten well
since this age, and for him, this was the right age to start.

Jacqui
Mum to Chloe (18/6/00) and Daniel (24/12/02)

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
We took Moo boy swimming today and afterwards I settled down to
breasteed him, nothing unusual there, a few people do, some with
bottles, some with boob. Us parents were talking afterwards about
weaning and I said that I was going to wait until Moo was ready for
it, we talked about how we'd know that he was ready etc and one of the
dads was really surprised that he only ever has breast milk. Moo is
one of the healthiest looking babies there, he's so fat I swear the
water raises in the pool when we get in! The dad asked if it was
tough on me, and I agreed it can be but as it's not forever I was
prepared to do it for the good of the Moo.

It seems the others have either started their babies on solids at
around 4 months and/or are supplementing with forumla. Is this common
practice? I am not considering it for us but would like to know if
any of you lot supplement.

cheers (the first time I typed this it came out with a typo -
'chewers', maybe thats more apt for a teething boy!

teapot

Old October 12th 03, 09:43 PM
Shannon G

"Andrea" wrote in message
"Anne Rogers" wrote,

He's at the bottom end of the age range for solids, but if he needs it
then he needs it. Nathanael's a week older and we tried him on some rice
as our HV reccomended it as he had lost weight, he hated it and clearly
wasn't ready, so we stopped.

I find my 5 babies never touched plain babyrice - I don't blame them it's
yuk! Kami like something with a bit of flavour, baby rice with a hint of
orange.

Orange, specifically all citrus, are potential allergens and should be one
of the LAST fruits introduced to a baby and certaintly not one as young as
18 weeks. I believe the recommendation is one year but that is off the top
of my head.

Shannon

Old October 12th 03, 09:47 PM
Shannon G

I am the best judge of when *my* baby is ready for solids. Kami is 5
months
in a few days, and he loves his solids.
It was either introduce solids, or give up breastfeeding. This way he is
still breastfed, and has solids.

Why would you have to to give up breastfeeding if you didn't introduce
solids? Breastmilk alone is just fine. Just ask my 26 pound 10 1/2 mo old
who didn't start until around 6 months and weighed over 20 lbs! She loves
mamma milk :-)

Shannon

Old October 13th 03, 02:28 AM
Alphawave

We supplement with formula on rare occasion. I usually pump right before
going to bed, and DH handles any night feeding that happens before 5:00
am. (At that point or later, I get up and bf.) If DS still seems hungry,
DH will give a little formula to top off. That doesn't happen very often,
though.

-- Alpha
alphawave at earthlink dot net
Old October 13th 03, 03:50 AM
Anne Rogers

Ok if dr's know what they are talking about, why was it they recommended
solids from 3 months, then they changed it to 4 months and now it's 6? I
think that show just how much they don't know.
I am the best judge of when *my* baby is ready for solids. Kami is 5 months
in a few days, and he loves his solids.

hmm, I might be being forgetful, but wasn't kami born 5th June? making him
5months on 5th November? My computer clock says today is 13th October so
that's not a few days

It was either introduce solids, or give up breastfeeding. This way he is
still breastfed, and has solids. In these situatuations moms have to decide
what's right in their individual circumstances.

I'm definitely of the opinion that early solids (after 4 months though)
are a lesser evil than formula, though why would not introducing solids
mean giving up breastfeeding?

Old October 13th 03, 03:51 AM
Anne Rogers

then he needs it. Nathanael's a week older and we tried him on some rice
as our HV reccomended it as he had lost weight, he hated it and clearly
wasn't ready, so we stopped.

I find my 5 babies never touched plain babyrice - I don't blame them it's
yuk! Kami like something with a bit of flavour, baby rice with a hint of
orange.

we tried banana too, tbh I don't think he even tasted it I think it was
the whole spoon thing he didn't like the idea of

Old October 13th 03, 04:11 AM
Dawn Lawson

Andrea wrote:

"badgirl" wrote in message

top posting:

Let's clear up this little myth right now. Babies *can* start solids as

soon

as 6 months but aren't "supposed to" Some babies don't start eating solids
until after a year of age and for them that's perfectly ok. Some babies

are

ready as early as 4 or 5 months old but it's still better to wait until at
LEAST 6 months since their digestive systems really aren't ready until 6
months old. And doctors are there for medical advice, not parenting

advice.

Jen

Ok if dr's know what they are talking about, why was it they recommended
solids from 3 months, then they changed it to 4 months and now it's 6? I
think that show just how much they don't know.

SURELY changing recommendations just shows that "they" now know BETTER
than previously, not that they are entirely ignorant. The benefits of
delayin solids for ANY child are quite well documented.

I am the best judge of when *my* baby is ready for solids. Kami is 5 months
in a few days, and he loves his solids.

If you chose to start solids at 4 mo, you can (and have). Whether you
are the best judge of readiness may be debateable, based on your
reasoning for starting. It really doesn't sound like it was Kam's
requirements that got you started on solids. And from your posts,
you've been at it for a while already, at 18wks.

AS for whether the kid loving it means he's ready/requires it....by that
logic, they surely require sugary treats, fizzy drinks (and putting
their fingers into electrical outlets. ;-) )

It was either introduce solids, or give up breastfeeding.

WHAAAATTTT???? Why on *Earth* do you think that is true????

This way he is
still breastfed, and has solids. In these situatuations moms have to decide
what's right in their individual circumstances.

Fine. Sure. I guess. But it certainly sounds a lot like the decision
was made for YOU and not for KAM. You posted that he was unsettled just
a little while ago, and that you had interpreted that to mean that he
needed "something more than breastmilk" where others have interpreted
that same fussiness about 4 mo to be a developmental stage that passes,
based on what they are going thru or noticed with their own children.
Certainly size has very little to do with readiness for solids. There's
plenty of 18lb+ babies on this group that are exclusively breastfed (NO
solids)

Old October 13th 03, 09:22 AM
Andrea

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

hmm, I might be being forgetful, but wasn't kami born 5th June? making him

5months on 5th November? My computer clock says today is 13th October so
that's not a few days

Anne,

Kam is 5 months on Thursday. I go to the clinic every week, and each week
that goes by another week is added. You don't count month-to-month e.g 5th
June to 5th July, as months all have different amounts of days/weeks in
them. Kam is now 19 weeks + 4 days.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 19+ weeks.

Old October 13th 03, 09:52 AM
Andrea

I couldn't cope with Kamrons constant demand. I waited 2 and a half weeks
for it to pass, but it didn't. He went from a baby who slept all night, to a
baby that fed non-stop day and night. I couldn't cope any longer. I lost
sleep, (which I expected with a baby), but on top of that our 2 yr old
screams all night when he was sleeping through the night, I had to quit
college, I had no time for chores the house was a mess, no time for the kids
which all made my PPD much worse. One son has Apraxia another hyperactive
with tourettes.
I would have put him on formula, because it is thicker than breastmilk, and
keeps them satisfied a lot longer than breastmilk. Many people I know have
babies that sleep through the night, and are formula fed.
However I want to continue breastfeeding, so have opted to introduce solids
instead of giving up nursing. Kam is a big boy now, and I can't keep up with
the amount of feeds he wants.
Many people I have spoken with have babies that are 1 year before they have
reached Kami's weight at almost 5 months, and they started with huge babies.
Kam was only 7lbs 9 and a half at birth, so i'm proud to have got him this
far. Even if I quit breastfeeding, you couldn't make me feel bad. It's my
choice to make, and nobody here has the right to judge me or anyone else.
I notice that there are many 'sheep-like' posts on this NG. One woman says
one thing like "Ooh I couldn't believe a woman could give solids to a baby
that age" and you all suck up to each other, kissing each others butts
falling over yourselves to agree with the OP.
I am not like that,and I post without worrying about what you think. Unlike
the woman who is afraid to post that she supplements with formula, cause she
knows people will be on her back.

I have just introduced a new Doula service to my area, I do it free for
teenage pregnant moms.
They need someone who is non-judgemental, just like many women on this NG
do.
So respect each others individual circumstances before you attack.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 19+ weeks.

Old October 13th 03, 09:57 AM
Anne Rogers

5months on 5th November? My computer clock says today is 13th October so
that's not a few days

Kam is 5 months on Thursday. I go to the clinic every week, and each week
that goes by another week is added. You don't count month-to-month e.g 5th
June to 5th July, as months all have different amounts of days/weeks in
them. Kam is now 19 weeks + 4 days.

So he's 20 weeks on Thursday, that means slightly different to 5 months,
which would be nearly 22 weeks, my HV told me that when people say solids
from 4 months they mean at least 17 weeks, not 16. Maximum variation of
number of days in a month is 3 days and has all months except February
have at least 30 the error builds up quite fast, will you be celebrating
his 1st birthday when he is 48 weeks old?

I think you are still a week out though (unless you start counting at 1)
as I've just checked the calender again, Nathanael is 20 weeks old on
Wednesday and he's 8 days older than Kami.

Anne Rogers