Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

Old December 11th 07, 12:48 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

cjra wrote:
On Dec 9, 10:24 am, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:33 am, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
My concern is her (physical) health as she will inevitably go down
with something pretty soon. This was the crux of my relative's
argument - that a child under 3 is best left protected at home. Maybe
I should have said this more explicitly in my original post.
Oh, pbbbthb on the health issue. If the child were immune
compromised, that would be a problem, but otherwise, it's not the
end of the earth for kids to get sick. They're going to start building
up their immune systems sooner or later. Sure, she'll come home with
crud (and likely pass it on to you), but keeping her home will just
postpone that process until later. Make sure you're happy with the
sanitary practices at the daycare, keep her home perhaps if something
bad is going around, and just deal with the rest. I'm enjoying a
cold brought home by my 4yo preschooler now. I'd love not to have
to deal with that, but what else is one going to do?

Reading the story below made me more pessimistic about the health
effects of day care.

Why?

All kids should be getting these vaccines, whether they're in daycare
or at home. However the government can't mandate the vaccines for a
child who is at home, but can do so for a child in school/daycare.

That these vaccines are being recommended or required is simply a
measure of good public health, not reflective of the daycare setting.
It's very true having kids in large groups means more likelihood of
disease spread, but presumably even a parent at home with their child
is not going to keep their kid locked up all day for fear of disease.

Exactly. The point is that toddlers and preschoolers are
wretched little germ spreaders regardless of their environment.
Unless you're willing to lock them up in a bubble, they're going to
get sick, and they're going to share with the rest of the family.
Even locking them up only works for a relatively short amount of
time when they're not off to school and have no older sibs who are
off at school to bring things home to them (or other relatives
out in the world bringing things home).
Will they catch more stuff at preschool or daycare? Probably.
Is keeping them away from daycare or preschool going to stop them
from getting the flu? Nope. It might reduce the odds a bit, but
it's not going to eliminate the risk. My kids have been at preschool
since two years old. They've brought home all sorts of bugs, but
never once have they brought home the flu. The only bout we've had
with *that* came from exposure at work. *If* a kid comes to school
with flu, it'll spread faster there than among older kids or adults,
and it's more dangerous to the very young, the very old, and those
with certain health issues, so vaccinating preschoolers is a good
way to intervene in the spread of diseases from a public health
point of view, but from an individual family point of view I don't
think it makes a hill of beans of difference.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 13th 07, 08:17 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

And, at best, another adult coming in is usually a break in schedule while
all the kids run over to hug, tell the parent what they did that day, show
off their art, etc, so it can be disruptive.

Must be another cultural difference. I would not expect to be hugged by
children other than my own or *very* good friends' children. At our day care,
the kids don't drag their artwork out to show people, because it's either on
the drying rack or up on the wall. Generally, the kids are absorbed in their
activities, even when they do say hello or call DS2 to say that his Mummy is
here. The main problem is prising DS2 out of the sand-pit of an afternoon!
Today, he ran over, gave me a hug, collected his bedding and gave it to me,
then ran back to the sand-pit... and DS1 joined him!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old December 13th 07, 08:50 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:17:05 +1100, Chookie wrote:

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

And, at best, another adult coming in is usually a break in schedule while
all the kids run over to hug, tell the parent what they did that day, show
off their art, etc, so it can be disruptive.

Must be another cultural difference. I would not expect to be hugged by
children other than my own or *very* good friends' children.

The kids never hug me here, but they do get distracted, come talk to me,
tell me their stories, etc. DD does drag me to her artwork that's hanging
out to dry and asks me to take it down so she can take it home. She wants
to show me all her artwork.
Old December 13th 07, 08:24 PM posted to misc.kids
grandma Rosalie

On Dec 4, 5:10 pm, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:38 pm, Banty wrote:

Do wring said relative's neck.

snip
Your daughter will do just fine.

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing that.

We have no way of knowing the other way either.

I was a SAHM, and I had my dd#2 in 'nursery' (which was what they
called it then) as soon as they would take her, which was 30 months.
Before that it was just the base day-care when I went to market or had
some other place to be like a meeting.

DD#2 was a WOHM and she had her child in daycare from the very
beginning as she could not afford to do otherwise (her dh was in
school so she was the sole wage earner). He's 13 going on 14 now and
seems OK to me.

Most of the time IMHO, the studies fail to conpensate for the attitude
of the parents. They used to think that moving a lot would make
school children more likely to have problems, but when they analyzed
the data, they found that the confounding factor was the attitude of
the mom. If the mom was upbeat about moving, the kids did fine
ultimately. If the mom whined and complained about the move, the kids
had problems also.

And they fail to take the quality of the day-care into consideration
because thath varies wildly from place to place. I think the
individual people involved are more important than the averages. Just
as you can have a good teacher in a poorly performing school, or a
poor teacher in a generally good school. The individual classroom
teacher is the most important thing.

Also in this situation, there is no one-size-fits-all. Just as there
is no perfect parent.
Old December 15th 07, 08:47 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Dec 8, 9:36 pm, toypup wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:35:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I too question whether sending a child to childcare at a young age is
better than staying at home with mom or dad. (or other guardian)
Children will be in school for the rest of their lives and parents can
never get those first few years with their child back. If families
are fortunate enough to have a stay at home mom or dad, I think that a
child would benefit more from staying at home versus attending
childcare early on.

I have known kids who are raised in environments so deprived of stimulation
that it would be a benefit to be in a preschool or daycare setting. Those
kids are loved, but live in a bubble for fear they may injure themselves.
It can be extreme.

Although children may seem they live in a bubble, when they enter
school they will quickley adjust to it. They need that loving support
to guide them in the right direction for thier first few years. They
have the rest of their lives to explore other settings but can never
get those first few years back of their childhood spent witht their
parents or guardians, or any loved ones.
Old December 15th 07, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:47:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 8, 9:36 pm, toypup wrote:
[...]

You don't know those kids. They are academically very behind. The oldest
is in third grade and I don't see quick adjustment. Maybe they'd be behind
anyway. I just can't help but think that some stimulation would have
helped. After all, most parents do provide some amount of stimulation for
a reason. I don't mean using flashcards or Baby Einstein or loads of toys.
I just mean basic stimulation like letting the child crawl or walk and
explore. Their baby was literally held 24/7 out of love -- the
grandparents took shifts and the baby slept in their arms. She is now past
a year and is not allowed to walk for fear of hurting herself (she can
walk). Thank goodness the mom is home in the evening for a few hours to
let the child explore, but that is an awful lot of hours out of the day of
non-stimulation. I'd say she gets not even a quarter of the stimulation of
the average child, because mom is exhausted from work and doesn't really do
much with the baby, either.

Child support & daycare JKup General 8 January 7th 07 02:45 AM
signs of child abuse at daycare nasthelli castillo de her General 0 October 7th 05 06:24 AM
sick child daycare toypup General 0 June 6th 04 11:50 PM
Daycare provider issues- child not happy laurie General 3 May 15th 04 06:42 PM
What you do when your child can't attend daycare.... Beeswing General (moderated) 2 July 18th 03 09:20 PM