Organic milk / hormone free milk

Old December 13th 07, 10:02 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default Organic milk / hormone free milk

toto wrote in
:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 05:53:24 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky
wrote:

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic"
label, but I do wonder when my kids should start drinking
skim (fat-free) milk like their parents, rather than whole
milk. Right now the two boys (2 and 4yo) are a bit skinny,
so we are continuing with whole milk.

Children need more fat than adults at least until they are
2 or 3, as I understand it.

yes, fat helps brain cells develop.
last i looked, the recommendation for transitioning to 2%
milk was 4 years. low-fat/no-fat milk is not recommended for
children.
lee
Old December 13th 07, 11:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

enigma wrote:
toto wrote in
:

wrote:

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic"
label, but I do wonder when my kids should start drinking
skim (fat-free) milk like their parents, rather than whole
milk. Right now the two boys (2 and 4yo) are a bit skinny,
so we are continuing with whole milk.

Children need more fat than adults at least until they are
2 or 3, as I understand it.

yes, fat helps brain cells develop.
last i looked, the recommendation for transitioning to 2%
milk was 4 years. low-fat/no-fat milk is not recommended for
children.
lee

Actually, the AAP recommends 1% or skim starting at
2 years of age (whole milk only before then).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 14th 07, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

Actually, the AAP recommends 1% or skim starting at
2 years of age (whole milk only before then).

ok, i thought it was 3-4. i won't buy low/no fat products
though, so it doesn't affect me.
lee
Old December 14th 07, 02:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

Actually, the AAP recommends 1% or skim starting at
2 years of age (whole milk only before then).

ok, i thought it was 3-4. i won't buy low/no fat products
though, so it doesn't affect me.
lee

Milkfat is not the best fat. If possible, veggie fats like avodcado,
cocounut, nuts and such are best. Coconut fat is expensive but we have a
friend who buys it in mega bulk, so we get a decent deal. I wish my kids
liked avocados. But then maybe not since they are not cheap either. I could
eat them morning, noon and night. Yum.

Old December 14th 07, 03:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

Actually, the AAP recommends 1% or skim starting at
2 years of age (whole milk only before then).

ok, i thought it was 3-4. i won't buy low/no fat products
though, so it doesn't affect me.
lee

Milkfat is not the best fat. If possible, veggie fats like avodcado,
cocounut, nuts and such are best. Coconut fat is expensive but we have a
friend who buys it in mega bulk, so we get a decent deal. I wish my kids
liked avocados. But then maybe not since they are not cheap either. I
could eat them morning, noon and night. Yum.

Avocados get pretty cheap round here. #2 eats them like fruit.
Debbie

Old December 14th 07, 03:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Welches" wrote in message

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

Actually, the AAP recommends 1% or skim starting at
2 years of age (whole milk only before then).

ok, i thought it was 3-4. i won't buy low/no fat products
though, so it doesn't affect me.
lee

Milkfat is not the best fat. If possible, veggie fats like avodcado,
cocounut, nuts and such are best. Coconut fat is expensive but we have a
friend who buys it in mega bulk, so we get a decent deal. I wish my kids
liked avocados. But then maybe not since they are not cheap either. I
could eat them morning, noon and night. Yum.

Avocados get pretty cheap round here. #2 eats them like fruit.
Debbie

Aren't they really a fruit, actually? From the standpoint of the role that
they play in the plant? I confess I don't know much about them. I wish they
were cheap here. Ilove them.

Old December 14th 07, 04:07 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Dec 14, 7:31 am, "Stephanie" wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

. ..

Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

Actually, the AAP recommends 1% or skim starting at
2 years of age (whole milk only before then).

ok, i thought it was 3-4. i won't buy low/no fat products
though, so it doesn't affect me.
lee

Milkfat is not the best fat. If possible, veggie fats like avodcado,
cocounut, nuts and such are best. Coconut fat is expensive but we have a
friend who buys it in mega bulk, so we get a decent deal. I wish my kids
liked avocados. But then maybe not since they are not cheap either. I could
eat them morning, noon and night. Yum.

I thought the jury's out on coconut oil's benefits. some say it has
bad cholesterol and others say it's very good for health. Is there a
definitive study that proves the benefits?
Old December 14th 07, 05:06 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Stephanie" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
ok, i thought it was 3-4. i won't buy low/no fat products
though, so it doesn't affect me.

Milkfat is not the best fat. If possible, veggie fats like
avodcado, cocounut, nuts and such are best. Coconut fat is
expensive but we have a friend who buys it in mega bulk, so
we get a decent deal. I wish my kids liked avocados. But
then maybe not since they are not cheap either. I could eat
them morning, noon and night. Yum.

we don't drink much milk, but i do use it in cooking... and
also a lot of yogurt & sour cream, and cheeses.
i love cooking with coconut milk, but Boo is not a big fan of
nuts, so i don't get to use them much.
he does love avocadoes. guacamole was one of his favorite
'baby foods', but they're very expensive in New England.
do your kids like artichokes? i think Boo would eat those to
the exclusion of anything else if he got the chance.
lee
Old December 14th 07, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Dec 14, 7:07�am, wrote:

I thought the jury's out on coconut oil's benefits. some say it has
bad cholesterol and others say it's very good for health. Is there a
definitive study that proves the benefits?

Can't have cholesterol -- it's not an animal product. It does have a
lot of saturated fat, though.

--Helen
Old December 14th 07, 07:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Dec 13, 8:53�am, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 12, 5:09 pm, enigma wrote:

snip

�why just milk? organically grown produce is widely available
& priced on par with imported, treated with who-knows-what-
chemicals-banned-in-the-US produce.
�and if you aren't vegetarian, your meat is a hell of a lot
worse as far as hormones & antibiotics than your milk is! not
to mention the saline & chemicals injected into it to keep it
"shelf-stable" for a month...
lee

With all these alleged problems, life expectancy in the U.S. is now
about 78http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htmand has been
rising over the years . I have never seen a convincing study showing
that organic food is healthier. I think the organic food movement
fulfills needs that are mostly psychological.

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic" label, but I
do wonder when my kids should start drinking skim (fat-free) milk like
their parents, rather than whole milk. Right now the two boys (2 and
4yo) are a bit skinny, so we are continuing with whole milk.

If they are getting adequate fat intake elsewhere, the minor
difference in milk levels can be tweaked accordingly. You need to find
out how much fat is recommended in kids at certain ages and then see
how they are doing without consumption of milk to gauge it. My 2-year-
old is 40 pounds and is on 1% milk. His pediatrician evaluated his
individual situation, which is one varied in diet and a nonpicky
eater, and decided that the extra found in the milk was not a
necessity for him. It is like iron-fortified formula....not all
infants are at risk of not getting enough iron, but it is recommended
for all to be on the safe side to avoid issues for everyone. My dad is
a dairy farmer and he explained the minor difference in fat content
between the milks, so I felt comfortable with it. You can look up
contents on various milks online and see that the vitamin/nutrient
contents varies very little. In fact, I think it was 2% milk that had
more vitamin A or something than whole vitamin D milk, but the other
nutrients were still the same too.