Vent: solids and a 6 mo

Old December 24th 03, 02:33 AM
A&G&K

Default Vent: solids and a 6 mo

"Sue" wrote in message
A&G&K wrote in message
I'm sorry but not doing something for child that hasn't had any liquid

for
7 hours in ... I can't stress this enough ... *35* degree CELSIUS (95 F)
heat is dangerous! I don't think you are comprehending how physically
draining that heat is when it goes on for a week at a time.

Sorry, I knew once I wrote that, you would think no socks was worse than
dehydration. Just for the record, that's not what I mean. I just mean
sometimes parents do dumb things. Hopefully, not too dumb that the child

is
harmed.

I don't know your friend, so I am trying to establish if she is telling

the
truth or if she is a truth stretcher because she is upset at the advice

you
are trying to give her. So, while dad is at home, he isn't trying to get
some liquids down the child? What does dad say about this? I mean maybe

you
can get him to see that the baby can't go that long without fluids. It's
unfathomable that they would be that dumb to not give the baby some
breastmilk, formula or water. That's what I would be upset about, not the
rate of solids being given. Good luck.
--

They are trying to get EBM into the baby ... as well as water, but have had
no luck with a bottle or sippy cup so far. Somebody else suggested just

Also - my friend doesn't get upset at getting advice ... and I'm a bit
sensitive in how I say things to her. She knows I care about her and her
bub and she's asked me for advice plenty of times before.

The solids thing is more about the fact that she's giving the baby chokable
foods as toys (raw carrot, apple celery etc). Toast can also break off and
be inhaled. I personally wouldn't be introducing solids at such a great
rate of knots (given that the father has quite a few allergies as well as
psoriasis), but that's my issue.
Cheers
Amanda

Old December 24th 03, 03:16 PM
Sue

Dawn Lawson wrote in message However, you were
there...why didn't you put shoes
and socks on the child?

If I had shoes and socks, I would have.

What age is it when children require shoes and socks?

When they are going to be outside in the cold or rain or even hot weather to
protect their feet and walking on their own.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 24th 03, 09:29 PM
KC

Just to pipe up on the shoe thing, some of us parents purposely keep
our kids out of shoes for the good of their feet. We are animals and
can handle a bit of cold on our feet, especially if we are raised that
way from the start.

I was just saying to my dh the other day, that I figured out the one
way we are different than the other animals, and that is that we wear
shoes :-) When I see the commercials about the poor kids who can't
even afford shoes, I think they are so lucky, they will get the very
best feet not underdeveloped feet from being in shoes all the time.

I often let my almost 4 year old go shoeless outside in the back yard
even if it is cold. I do usually put sandals on her to go into
businesses though because people expect it. Perhaps that mother was
even more vehement than me about that.

As far as the lack of a coat perhaps they only had a short walk from
the car to the office. I don't always put coats on us all in those
situations.

Looks like just different parenting choices to me.

KC

Old December 25th 03, 03:11 PM
Sue

I'm glad you don't mind your child walking barefeet on the gravel covered,
wet from the rain, cold parking lot, possibly cutting their feet because
that is what I was referring to.

I don't put shoes on my babies or toddlers unless we were going outside.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old December 26th 03, 12:37 AM
KC

"Sue" wrote in message ...
I'm glad you don't mind your child walking barefeet on the gravel covered,
wet from the rain, cold parking lot, possibly cutting their feet because
that is what I was referring to.

I don't put shoes on my babies or toddlers unless we were going outside.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Seriously, if your kids don't wear shoes much from the start, they get
mighty tough feet. My MIL was always bothered by us letting my dd go
barefoot, always worried about cold and rocks and stuff, but nothing
bad has ever happened to my dd's feet from it. My dd walks on pointy
rocks like it's nothing because she has the callouses to handle it.
When they first start walking barefoot in rocky areas they stick on
their blanket alot, but as their feet toughen up it is no big deal -
really. They don't get cut feet, and having them not run off on their
own at campgrounds when they are little toddlers is just an added
bonus.

KC

om...

Old December 26th 03, 02:55 AM
Sue

I know, I lived on a dirt road and used to walk on it barefoot ALL my life.
I understand totally. You don't have to explain how good going barefoot is.
However, there is a time and a place for it.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

KC wrote in message
om...
"Sue" wrote in message

[...]

om...

Old December 19th 04, 08:36 PM
A&G&K

My friend's DD is just over 6 mo and was introduced to solids a few weeks
ago. That is fine by me, but maybe its the benefit of hindsight telling me
the following is just plain stupid....
This baby is on several different kinds of mushed fruits and veges
(including broccoli and cauliflower which I personally would wait a bit
longer to introduce). They are being introduced at the rate of 1 new food
per day (way too quickly for me).
My particular worry is that my friend plans on introducing toast fingers
with avocado *next week*. This child gets to suck on raw carrot, apple and
celery (also a big *no* from me). My friend thinks that because her DD has
no teeth, she couldn't possibly choke on anything as she has "no capacity to
bite anything off". I've told her that my DD didn't get teeth until she was
9-10 mo and had no problems gnawing things to death (including furniture).
They shovel food into this girl whether she wants it or not (I tried
explaining that when she repeatedly spits food back and gags on it, she's
not being "naughty" ... she just *ain't* ready yet).
The big rush is that my friend went back to work last week and they left it
until 2 weeks ago to try to get their DD to drink ebm from a bottle or a
sippy cup.The father is looking after the child during the day. The baby
has been just waiting it out for her mother to come home in the evenings
(about 7 hours later) for a feed (or a drink). ... and its 30 degrees
Celsius here at the moment so dehydration is a real factor.

Now, I have tried to tell her that pushing solids faster is not the answer
and I'd be experimenting a bit more with bottles, sippy cups or anything
that could get some ebm into the child, but my friend is very strong willed
and is *always* right. I've said that perhaps she should delay her return
to work for another week or two (hovering in the wings and letting Daddy
feed the baby emb anyway he could). I even suggested that the father could
drive their DD into my friend's work for emergency bf if its going to be a 7
hour wait between feeds.
What else can I do?

Amanda

--