bf whilst pg ... and spotting

Old November 9th 03, 12:44 AM
A&G&K

Default bf whilst pg ... and spotting

Hi all,
I posted this under another thread but don't think it was very visible so
I'm posting under a new thread...

I found out from a friend (who is a physio at one of our city's major
birthing hospitals) that it is not uncommon for bf women to spot a little in
the new pg (of course
anyone with spotting or bleeding should get in contact with the health care
provider and have them check you out in case of possible m/c).

I've recently been experiencing mild spotting (usually after a bm) but its
never been very much and baby was healthy and happy on the u/s a week ago
(I'm 9 w today). Its never been very much and seems to stop for a few
days in between episodes ... then a bit more brown mucus and on 2 occasions
over the last 2 weeks a few spots of red blood.
We are hoping that everything remains OK and I have calmed down considerably
since my friend shared that bit of info with me (she says she only recently
found out so I don't know whether its new research or whether its something
they have been noticing at her hospital which is very pro bf).

So I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced early pg spotting
whilst bf a toddler.

Also - I've not really taken much notice but I remember people talking about
otc progesterone cream and was wondering if that's available in
Australia.... I'm told it can stop this intermittent and frightening
spotting (I'm also going to ask my Ob next week).

Cheers
Amanda
DD 15 August 2002
EDD#2 14 June 2004

Old November 9th 03, 02:52 AM
Spanannie

I've had no spotting and am bf my toddler twice daily. I'll be 8w pregnant
tomorrow. I had considerable bleeding with my DS, but none this time (knock
on wood). However, I'm on progesterone supplements (oral) until the end of
the first tri. as a safeguard, since I'm bf. It's a great sign that you've
seen your little babe's hb. I know it's so scarry to spot and hope it stops
for you soon.

Otherwise, how are you feeling? Morning sickness has been a bit rougher for
me this time.

Annie
mom to Zach, born 6.19.02

#2 due 6.20.04

Thanks Annie,
I've had no morning sickness at all this time. In fact the only things I've
noticed a
huge decrease in pumped supply
sore boobs
and going to the loo every hour.

What sort of progesterone tablets are you on? Are they otc or did your Dr
prescribe them? I'm very tempted to ask my Ob for them if everything is OK
at the visit next week (although I'll be 10 w then and probably through the
worst of it).

I am not enjoying this pg so far b/c I worry so much and don't want to get
too attached "just in case".
My GP (who was trying to be nice) gave me the stats on early pg spotting and
added "at least you've got your DD so its not like worrying about a m/c
without any children" ... oh crap .. I don't think you can compare the two
.... I just can't bear to think about another little soul like my DD dying
before I get to meet them. Luckily my Ob is fantastic and was almost
glowing when he found the little person "in the right place and doing all
the right things".
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
EDD #2 14th June 2004

Old November 9th 03, 04:43 PM
Spanannie

Maybe you're having a boy this go around :-) It's great that you're not
really having any symptoms.

I'm on Prometrium 100mg once daily. They are by Rx only. I think that
you've made it this far without progesterone, so I really doubt that it's
needed. The placenta starts making it's own progesterone at 8w anyhow. I'm
actually surprised that they didn't take me off of the progesterone at the
last visit--I thought that they would.

I hope you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Take heart that your risk of
m/c goes way down after seeing the little heartbeat. 12 weeks is just
around the corner for you---hopefully that will be a big relief to you.

Annie

Old November 9th 03, 06:20 PM
Nancy P

"A&G&K" wrote in message
So I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced early pg spotting

whilst bf a toddler.

Amanda,

I'm 14 1/2 weeks and have been spotting since week 10. I also had an
episode of bleeding/cramping in week 10. An ultrasound showed I have a
subchorionic hemorrhage (which is a blood clot on the placenta) and I was
placed on pelvic rest. Anyway, this last week the spotting and cramping
increased, and my midwife advised me to reduce nursing signficantly or wean,
as the nursing could be causing uterine contractions (and prolonging the
spotting). DD is 20 months and was nursing twice a day, but as of
yesterday, she is weaned. I don't think all of this is very common, though.
I would press your doctor for an explanation of the bleeding.
Good luck,
Nancy

Old November 10th 03, 05:44 AM
Nikki

A&G&K wrote:

So I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced early pg spotting
whilst bf a toddler.

I'm not any help but wishing you the best! I had no spotting when pg and
nursing a toddler.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old November 12th 03, 03:54 AM
Dawn Lawson

A&G&K wrote:

"DGoree" wrote in message

A&G&K" wrote,

My sister experienced frightening spotting during her second pregnancy,

though

she wasn't breastfeeding at the time...my niece is twenty now and very

healthy,

so that one turned out OK. I'd definitely have it checked out, though.

Thanks Mary Ellen ...
I have been thoroughly checked out by my Ob and I'm seeing him again next
week for "monitoring". I failed to mention that he was quite happy with the
baby on the U/S a week ago - no deformation of the amniotic sac, strong
heartbeat, good growth etc. My Beta HCGs were OK I think but he put more
emphasis on the scan (since he did that first before ringing up for the lab
results).
Its just enough to be frightening, but not enough to see the Dr again until
next week (no cramping, no blood flow - not even enough to get on my
undies).
Its just that I'd heard that it is not uncommon for bf mothers to spot a
little in the next pg ... which seems like what I'm experiencing.....
Amanda

Not nursing whilst preg, but DID bleed (DEFINATELY enough to get on my
undies...and enough to merit using at least a p-liner) for the first
~12wks of my pregnancy with my DS. I had only one u/s, insisted on by
my RE to check for multiples, but had no problems with the pregnancy,
other than the bleeding.

I'm not in favor of u/s monitoring as a routine procedure, and I'd go
with your OB's lack of concern and strong bHCG levels ;-)

Dawn

Premenstrual spotting Kate Pregnancy 4 May 18th 04 11:34 PM
spotting and the pill exxos Pregnancy 3 December 2nd 03 10:33 PM
Another spotting question Elizabeth H Bonesteel Pregnancy 7 November 4th 03 10:00 PM
Help! Spotting question Mary W. Pregnancy 2 September 8th 03 07:15 PM
Spotting in early pg D Pregnancy 10 August 5th 03 11:49 PM