Disagreement about third child

Old April 28th 05, 12:25 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

*Hillary Israeli wrote:
*
* I find that when I look at "kid-friendly" places online, I get very
* discouraged. Most of the activities are for children 4 yrs old, and
* rarely do I find that anything is listed as ok for an infant!
*
* That is true of a lot of places. There are a lot more
*hoops for them to jump through providing care for infants and
*toddlers (higher staff ratios, diaper facilities, etc.). I
*have seen a few places that have more stuff for babies and toddlers,
*but not many.

It's not so much that I want to LEAVE my infant with them (heaven forbid
), it's more that I want to BRING my infant with me while we do stuff.

*
* I think with the beach thing the under-4s can't go :-(

See, that's just not fair

*Also, the kids club is for 3 and up (potty trained). You can
*get babysitters for the small fry if you want, but there isn't
*as much in the way of structured activities for them. We solve
*the problem of littles by going with family and playing pass
*the baby ;-)

Ah. We can't do that any more, now that everyone has up and joined the
family business! No one on my husband's side can vacation at the same
time, and since my dad is recently unemployed again, no one is vacationing
on that side. Well, my brother, but we wouldn't vacation together and I'll
leave that at that

* Anyway, if you wanted to hit the ground running and do lots
*of activities, you'd probably feel a bit hindered by having kids too
*young to do most of the activities or put in a kids program. If you
*have enough adults to pass around the little kids, or if you're looking
*for a less event-full vacation, then I think it would be just fine.
*Either way, you would find that they are very welcoming to kids of
*all ages. We never felt awkward having small kids around, and lots of
*other guests had small kids in tow.

Well, that's something. But really, I would like a place like the
Homestead, which allows parents to bring the little ones along on hikes
and to beaches and so on

-h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old April 28th 05, 01:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Well, that's something. But really, I would like a place like the
Homestead, which allows parents to bring the little ones along on hikes
and to beaches and so on

There definitely *are* things you can do at the Homestead
that the whole family can do, and lots of things are family oriented.
We haven't been in the summer, so the beach thing was never an issue
for us. They had toddler sized ice skates at the skating rink. You
could certainly take littles on a hike (but maybe not on a guided
hike that had to keep a certain pace, if the kids were on foot).
You're right, though, that there aren't all that many places that
have lots of whole-family activities including babies and toddlers.
If I get a moment, I'll try to dig around in my stuff to see if I
can find the few I saw that seemed to have more than usual. Most
of them are very camping-ish sorts of things, which aren't really
my cup of tea, but maybe they'd fit your bill. I seem to recall
that there was one family-oriented resort even in PA, but I
can't recal the name right now. What we also found was that
most of the resorts that catered to families with young kids
were not the sort of places that my parents or my single sister
would enjoy at all, so we couldn't choose them for extended
family vacations (which, as I said, is a lot of what we do).
The fancier the place and the more adult amenities, the less
likely it is to have family-with-young-kids activities, it
seems.

Take care,
Ericka

Old May 4th 05, 08:37 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

*If I get a moment, I'll try to dig around in my stuff to see if I
*can find the few I saw that seemed to have more than usual. Most

Thanks, Ericka

*The fancier the place and the more adult amenities, the less
*likely it is to have family-with-young-kids activities, it
*seems.

Yeah. Sigh.

I remember on our honeymoon my husband and I were traipsing around the
Amalfi coast, and we kept seeing people in fancy restaurants with little
kids. I'm thinking I need to convince my husband we should just go back
there now

Old May 5th 05, 12:10 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Hillary Israeli wrote:

I remember on our honeymoon my husband and I were traipsing around the
Amalfi coast, and we kept seeing people in fancy restaurants with little
kids. I'm thinking I need to convince my husband we should just go back
there now

Oh, I don't worry about the fancy restaurant thing--we just
take the kids. They're used to it, so they do well. The whole lack
of activities for families with small kids isn't such a big deal for
us as we're pretty lazy on vacation much of the time. We just don't
do a ton of activities other than eating and ambling about and making
use of some of the more general facilities (e.g., bowling or the pool
or whatnot at the Homestead). So, the fact that littles couldn't go
on the beach trip wouldn't slow us down much since we probably wouldn't
have gone anyway ;-) We pretty much find that eating and relaxing is
a full time job there! But, lots of other families are more activity
oriented, so it's much more of an issue for them. All I care is that
folks are friendly and welcoming towards the kids.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 5th 05, 01:24 PM
bizby40

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Hillary Israeli wrote:

I remember on our honeymoon my husband and I were traipsing around the
Amalfi coast, and we kept seeing people in fancy restaurants with little
kids. I'm thinking I need to convince my husband we should just go back
there now

Oh, I don't worry about the fancy restaurant thing--we just
take the kids. They're used to it, so they do well.

I took my 5 month old daughter to a ski resort on time. We went to dinner.
She had a poopy diaper -- not just *any* poopy diaper, but a complete
blowout, up the back, poopy diaper. I went to the restroom, there was no
changing table. I asked the staff what I was supposed to do with her, so
they called another restaurant near by, and there were no changing tables
there either. I couldn't just change her on the floor of the bathroom
because in addition to being dirty, it was wet with all the people walking
in out of the snow. And the sinks were individual with no counter space.
They finally let me into the manager's office. It's the only time or place
that I've ever encountered no changing table in a public bathroom.

Bizby

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 5th 05, 02:43 PM
Circe

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
I remember on our honeymoon my husband and I were traipsing around the
Amalfi coast, and we kept seeing people in fancy restaurants with little
kids. I'm thinking I need to convince my husband we should just go back
there now

To quote Nike, just do it! We didn't spend our whole trip on the Amalfi
coast, but certainly ate in nice restaurants on the Amalfi coast and no one
batted an eyelash at the kids.

Seriously, my experience tells me that it's easiest when one of the kids is
a baby, if only because you don't have to watch where three of them are
going at once! The flight can be a bit rough, but they sleep a lot at that
age and, on transatlantic carriers these days, there are almost always
in-flight movies for kids. And you're already on the east coast, so you get
to chop off 5-6 hours of flight time from what we do coming from SoCal.

So, convince your husband. We had a lovely time while we were there. I don't
think you'll be sorry.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old May 5th 05, 03:59 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message

I remember on our honeymoon my husband and I were traipsing around the
Amalfi coast, and we kept seeing people in fancy restaurants with little
kids. I'm thinking I need to convince my husband we should just go back
there now

Took our kids to the Amalfi coast a few years ago. Lots of things for kids
to do. They love the beach, though to my mind they aren't near as
comfortable as Hawaiian or Southern Californian beaches. There are lots of
cute towns with piazas. Liked all the different forms of transportation:
ferrys, hydrofoils, funiculars...And most importantly, the people in the
stores and restaurants there seem to adore kids. Our children were treated
well in every restaurant we wandered into. I've found that children are
welcome tourists in every part of Italy that we've traveled.

Old May 8th 05, 11:35 PM
LaTreen Washington

That's why you should hire a sitter.
I'm sure the other guests enjoyed your child's crying.