128 students suspended at Ind. school

Old September 6th 06, 09:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Weeks

Default 128 students suspended at Ind. school

bizby40 wrote:
"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
ups.com...

nimue wrote:
and Nan and others. Oh, and that Cathy Weekes woman is brilliant.

blushing Golly. Thanks.

Cathy Weeks

I hate to burst your bubble, but from nimue, that basically means,
"you agreed with me."

Not always! I disagreed with her in a couple of posts. LOL

Bizby

(you are pretty sharp though!)

LOL Thanks to you too. :-)

Cathy Weeks

Old September 7th 06, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids
nimue

nimue wrote:
and Nan and others. Oh, and that Cathy Weekes woman is brilliant.

blushing Golly. Thanks.

Cathy Weeks

I hate to burst your bubble, but from nimue, that basically means,
"you agreed with me."

No, it doesn't. She expressed herself with great precision and clarity.
Others agreed with me and I liked them for it (who wouldn't?) and found them
intelligent, but Cathy is in a class by herself. Cathy's posts are the only
ones I fowarded to myself to save because I was just so impressed with the
logic and structure of her arguments. That woman knows how to write and I
think we could all learn from her.

Bizby

(you are pretty sharp though!)

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah

Old September 7th 06, 02:10 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On 6 Sep 2006 08:17:26 -0700, "Cathy Weeks"
wrote:

bizby40 wrote:
"Jen" wrote in message
Any time you allow, or seem to allow bad behavior to slide with no
consequences, it increases.

This isn't universally true.

Not only not universally true, but I would say untrue frequently.

If you want to extinguish bad behavior using externals, reward good
behavior and ignore bad behavior as much as possible.

Of course, in a classroom situation, what the teacher does in terms of
ignoring bad behavior may *not* be effective because often peers will
be rewarding the behavior by attending to it.

When I was teaching, I found this to be true on an *individual* basis.
If kid A gets away with something, then kid A is more likely to
continue it. On the other hand, kid B didn't get more likely to follow
in kid A's footsteps.

However, this refers to specific types of behaviors - things like dress
code and skipping school. On the other hand, if a teacher had no
control of a classroom, then one kid's bad behaviors *did* cause others
to follow suit.

Cathy Weeks

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old September 7th 06, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

wrote:

bizby40 wrote:
"Jen" wrote in message
Any time you allow, or seem to allow bad behavior to slide with no
consequences, it increases.

This isn't universally true.

Not only not universally true, but I would say untrue frequently.

Okay, you're right, I shouldn't have said "any time". But it does
happen, and I think it happens more when the people involved are only
following the rules to be following the rules, not because they
necessarily agree with them. So, modest teen that I was, I wouldn't
have worn belly shirts even if half the class was wearing them and
getting away with it. But someone who likes to wear them and wears
them at home, might well start wearing them at school too, if a bunch
of other people are.

Bizby

Old September 7th 06, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Weeks

nimue wrote:
No, it doesn't. She expressed herself with great precision and clarity.
Others agreed with me and I liked them for it (who wouldn't?) and found them
intelligent, but Cathy is in a class by herself. Cathy's posts are the only
ones I fowarded to myself to save because I was just so impressed with the
logic and structure of her arguments. That woman knows how to write and I
think we could all learn from her.

Thank you, Nimue.

I must say that I *work* at being a good communicator. The people I
admire most here on the misc.kids.* groups are themselves very good
communicators - Toto/Dorothy, Erika Kamerer, and Circe/Barbara are
three.

My undergraduate degree is in English Writing, and I also communicate
in writing on a frequent and regular basis for work, and in the past
have worked as an editor and tech writer, so I've had a lot of
practice. And... my MA is in English Education, and I've been trained
on how to teach people to write.

But even that is merely helpful - I write and revise constantly, even
for notes like these, merely because I want people to understand me.
And I try (though don't always succeed) to never post when my blood is
up, usually because if I allow any hint of irritation to show, I find
that I lose people.

Ahhh... the wonders of communication. I'm better at writing, than I am
at speaking.

Cathy Weeks