Is there an equation ?

Old January 26th 04, 10:21 PM
Craig

Default Is there an equation ?

For the more kids you have, the amount of time / energy / whatnot is increased ?

1 kid = 1x multiplier
2 kids = 2.5x multiplier
3 kids = 4x multiplier

Just wondering

Craig
Old January 26th 04, 10:50 PM
Ian

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Craig wrote:

For the more kids you have, the amount of time / energy / whatnot is

increased ?

1 kid = 1x multiplier
2 kids = 2.5x multiplier
3 kids = 4x multiplier

Yes, there's a very simple equation. However many
children you have will use up all the time/energy/whatnot
you have ;-)

I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we made the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids has as
much free time as me?

Old January 26th 04, 11:08 PM
Sophie

"Ian" wrote in message
I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we made

the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids has as
much free time as me?

Actually I know plenty of moms with "lots" of kids who have more free time
then moms of 1 or 2. Moms of more tend to be more organized for one thing.
We don't think we have to entertain baby 24/7. My kids have siblings for
that

Old January 26th 04, 11:16 PM
Ian

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we made

the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids has

as
much free time as me?

Actually I know plenty of moms with "lots" of kids who have more free time
then moms of 1 or 2. Moms of more tend to be more organized for one

thing.
We don't think we have to entertain baby 24/7. My kids have siblings for
that

My kid has friends for that. Friends that go home! The kids that come play
here ALL have siblings. Why arent they home "playing" They come here to get
away from the aggravation of their brothers and sisters, thats why!

Most kids get siblings by the age of 3. How can a 2, 3 or even 4 yr old
entertain a baby? They want to do their own thing. You cant leave kiddies
that age playing alone. My child wasn't left alone unsupervised until around
4.5.

You don't HAVE to be organised with just one. You can be a much more spur of
the moment person. I don't want my life to revolve around kids activities. I
want some adult time AND some time with my wife.

Old January 26th 04, 11:24 PM
Jenn

Craig wrote:

For the more kids you have, the amount of time / energy / whatnot is

increased ?

1 kid = 1x multiplier
2 kids = 2.5x multiplier
3 kids = 4x multiplier

Yes, there's a very simple equation. However many
children you have will use up all the time/energy/whatnot
you have ;-)

I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we made the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids has as
much free time as me?

I have found that friends with more than 3 find that it gets easier --
they have to reorganize the way they manage their lives -- with 3 -- one
tends to use the same habits as with one or two but now you are
outnumbered

we also know many people who DO pour as much energy into one as into 3
or 4 -- which leads to kids harrassed and groomed and pushed and
scheduled within an inch of their lives -- one of the best things we did
for ours was let them organize some of their own time -- rather than
pushing them constantly into organized activities
Old January 26th 04, 11:28 PM
Sophie

My kid has friends for that. Friends that go home! The kids that come play
here ALL have siblings. Why arent they home "playing" They come here to

get
away from the aggravation of their brothers and sisters, thats why!

eyeroll Okay. How 'bout cos my kids are close in age, have similar
interests, and for the most part get along? You make siblings sound awful.
Sorry you see them that way.

Most kids get siblings by the age of 3.

Mine got them earlier than that.

How can a 2, 3 or even 4 yr old entertain a baby?

Who's talking about entertaining a baby?

They want to do their own thing. You cant leave kiddies
that age playing alone. My child wasn't left alone unsupervised until

around
4.5.

Wow! Not till 4.5? You never peed alone, took a shower??

You don't HAVE to be organised with just one. You can be a much more spur

of
the moment person. I don't want my life to revolve around kids

activities. I
want some adult time AND some time with my wife.

I have to laugh it when someone with only one child *thinks* they know what
it's like to have more than one. I had no idea I had such a horrid life,
with no time, dictated constantly by my whiny, fighting kids. LOL!

Old January 26th 04, 11:44 PM
Ian

"Sophie" wrote in message
[...]

I mean extended periods of being left alone, like colouring in their room
etc. You cant leave a 3 yr old alone, they are into everything!!

You don't HAVE to be organised with just one. You can be a much more

spur
of
the moment person. I don't want my life to revolve around kids

activities. I
want some adult time AND some time with my wife.

I have to laugh it when someone with only one child *thinks* they know

what
it's like to have more than one. I had no idea I had such a horrid life,
with no time, dictated constantly by my whiny, fighting kids. LOL!

I get a taste when my kids has friends over. The noise and mess level goes
up about 200%. Constant "He did this" and "she did that" I get more trouble
from the kids with siblings. I thought kids with siblings would know how to
share, get along, but I have had my eyes opened. Maybe I live on a street of
brats, but they seem like normal kids to me. No wonder their Moms send them
over so often, they need the break!

I am not knocking anyone with more than one kid. I just couldn't live with
it 24/7. The demands, financial and otherwise of just one are more than
enough for me. To be honest I have no idea how people cope with more than
one. I`d love more, but I would be a wreck.

Why not be honest to the OP? 2, 3 kids ARE more work than one.

Old January 27th 04, 02:24 AM
Nikki

Craig wrote:
For the more kids you have, the amount of time / energy / whatnot is
increased ?

1 kid = 1x multiplier
2 kids = 2.5x multiplier
3 kids = 4x multiplier

Just wondering

Craig

If one child takes up all your time then more children will not take up
more. It might be easier to *cope* with one child depending on your
personality. The look of your day will be different with one versus more.
Finances. IME (not a lot) two kids are twice as expensive as one. That has
held true for me with everything except insurance. I pay the same for the
family plan regardless of whether I have one or ten. Mine are close though
so I had two in daycare, two in diapers, two Christmas, two b-day, two going
to the doc, etc. #2 does wear hand me down clothes so in that regard #2 is
less expensive but I buy cloths for $1 so not that much less :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 27th 04, 02:33 AM
just me

Craig wrote:

For the more kids you have, the amount of time / energy / whatnot is

increased ?

1 kid = 1x multiplier
2 kids = 2.5x multiplier
3 kids = 4x multiplier

Yes, there's a very simple equation. However many
children you have will use up all the time/energy/whatnot
you have ;-)

corollary: as soon as you adjust to the kids' particular "phase" it will
change, but only after you adjust to it.

-Aula