Is there an equation ?

Old January 27th 04, 02:38 AM
Kereru

Default Is there an equation ?

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Ian wrote:

I am not knocking anyone with more than one kid. I just couldn't live

with
it 24/7. The demands, financial and otherwise of just one are more than
enough for me. To be honest I have no idea how people cope with more

than
one. I`d love more, but I would be a wreck.

Why not be honest to the OP? 2, 3 kids ARE more work than one.

Actually, I found many stages to be easier with two
than with one, since they do occupy each other much of the
time--yes, even from early on. Also, it depends very much
on the person, his or her temperment, and how organized he
or she is. There are things that are harder and things that
are easier, but it's certainly not a guarantee that all people
will find life easier or better with one than with two (or
more).

Best wishes,
Ericka

I have to agree. I found I hovered around the baby trying to keep him
entertained with one but with two it's actually easier in some respects. I
can leave my little boy just over two to do drawing, blocks watch a video
etc.. while I get something done in another room with the baby or while he
is asleep. He's also good at talking to the baby or replacing his dummy if I
have my hands full.

My sister in law however found life really hard with two and a breeze with
one. I think it depends on the temperment of th ekids and the parents.

Judy

Old January 27th 04, 02:40 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Ian wrote:

I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we made the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids has as
much free time as me?

I certainly know many parents of single children who
appear to have less time than I do with three.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 04, 03:28 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Nikki wrote:

Finances. IME (not a lot) two kids are twice as expensive as one. That has
held true for me with everything except insurance. I pay the same for the
family plan regardless of whether I have one or ten. Mine are close though
so I had two in daycare, two in diapers, two Christmas, two b-day, two going
to the doc, etc. #2 does wear hand me down clothes so in that regard #2 is
less expensive but I buy cloths for $1 so not that much less :-)

I think the finances depend a lot on how much discretionary
income you have. If you can afford to spend twice as much, you
probably will. If you were frugal with one, then you'll spend
more with two. If you were profligate with one, then you
probably won't spend a lot more with two--unless you have the
money and choose to do so ;-) Two will definitely cost
more with one if you're only spending for necessary things,
but once discretionary things creep in, then you have, well,
the discretion to adjust that how you like ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 04, 04:12 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Nikki wrote:

Finances. IME (not a lot) two kids are twice as expensive as one. That has
held true for me with everything except insurance. I pay the same for the
family plan regardless of whether I have one or ten. Mine are close though
so I had two in daycare, two in diapers, two Christmas, two b-day, two going
to the doc, etc. #2 does wear hand me down clothes so in that regard #2 is
less expensive but I buy cloths for $1 so not that much less :-)

I think this is to a certain extent dependent on how close the kids
are. I was using cloth diapers and I didn't have two so close that
they were both in diapers at the same time. OTOH the first two were
different body types and couldn't always hand clothes down. Plus
there was a 2 year period when they both wore the same size,
particularly shoes (not that I handed down shoes). Then the third one
was the same body type as the first one, but was 7 years younger so
the styles weren't quite the same in some cases. Then the 4th one was
a boy.

I didn't WOH so I didn't have daycare unless I was going to the
commissary or was working as a substitute teacher, in which case the
kids were either in school themselves or at the base nursery, which
was affordable. We also used the base medical facilities which were
free.

I think the finances depend a lot on how much discretionary
income you have. If you can afford to spend twice as much, you
probably will. If you were frugal with one, then you'll spend
more with two. If you were profligate with one, then you
probably won't spend a lot more with two--unless you have the
money and choose to do so ;-) Two will definitely cost
more with one if you're only spending for necessary things,
but once discretionary things creep in, then you have, well,
the discretion to adjust that how you like ;-)

I think one way that the 2nd one will be cheaper is that you will
already have some of the furniture etc. required. Cribs, car seats
(provided that you don't have them too close together so you need 2 of
everything), high chairs, carriers, etc. I think I spend $15 at a
second hand shop and got a crib and a chest which dh renovated and
painted. I got a hand-me-down high chair from somewhere (don't
remember where), and I think about the only thing I bought new was a
playpen and a stroller.

The other way a second one is easier is that you already know how to
pack a diaper bag and change a diaper. The second one may not react
exactly the same as the first one, but they will both be babies which
have to be fed and one end and cleaned up at the other end, and you
already know a bit about that with the second and subsequent ones.

The only time two are definitely almost twice as expensive as one is
if they are twins. IMHO

IME, the third one took way more extra time than the 2nd one, but then
there was 5 years between #2 and #3.

grandma Rosalie
Old January 27th 04, 05:43 AM
Circe

Nan wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:44:20 -0000, "Ian" wrote:
I mean extended periods of being left alone, like colouring in their
room etc. You cant leave a 3 yr old alone, they are into everything!!

Really?? My 3 year old is fine being by herself for long enough to
color a picture, or play with some play-doh.
If we already had a room set up for her to play in, it would be even
better, since it would be set up for a 3 year old, and I wouldn't have
to worry about her getting into 'everything'.

Heck, my 22mo can "play alone" for short periods of time with his trains or
other toys he enjoys while I go down to the kitchen or something. I can't
leave him for long periods of time without checking in on him, but 5-10
minutes is *no* problem. Of course, we have the house pretty well
child-proofed so there's not a whole lot he can "get into" that would cause
serious danger--about the worst thing he can do is to climb up on some
furniture and fall off of it, but he seems to know that's something he
oughtn't do and so he doesn't.

I get a taste when my kids has friends over. The noise and mess
level goes up about 200%. Constant "He did this" and "she did that"
I get more trouble from the kids with siblings. I thought kids with
siblings would know how to share, get along, but I have had my eyes
opened. Maybe I live on a street of brats, but they seem like normal
kids to me. No wonder their Moms send them over so often, they need
the break!

Oh, I think it's mostly because your child has a friend over, and it's
different from everyday life for your kid. Of *course* things will
escalate when there is a playmate around. A few hours with another
child in your home simply isn't an accurate depiction of what day to
day life with more than one would be like.

Agreed, although I have to say, my experience with my son's friends might
lead to rose-colored glasses rather than the reverse--he is just *so* much
easier to get along with and deal with when he has a buddy to play with;
when it's just him and his sibs, he is always "bored". Ugh!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 27th 04, 09:34 AM
P. Tierney

"Circe" wrote in message
Nan wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:44:20 -0000, "Ian" wrote:
I mean extended periods of being left alone, like colouring in their
room etc. You cant leave a 3 yr old alone, they are into everything!!

Really?? My 3 year old is fine being by herself for long enough to
color a picture, or play with some play-doh.
If we already had a room set up for her to play in, it would be even
better, since it would be set up for a 3 year old, and I wouldn't have
to worry about her getting into 'everything'.

Heck, my 22mo can "play alone" for short periods of time with his trains

or
other toys he enjoys while I go down to the kitchen or something. I can't
leave him for long periods of time without checking in on him, but 5-10
minutes is *no* problem.

Ditto here, currently at 24 months.

P. Tierney

Old January 27th 04, 02:38 PM
Sophie

I get a taste when my kids has friends over. The noise and mess level goes
up about 200%. Constant "He did this" and "she did that" I get more

trouble
from the kids with siblings. I thought kids with siblings would know how

share, get along, but I have had my eyes opened. Maybe I live on a street

of
brats, but they seem like normal kids to me. No wonder their Moms send

them
over so often, they need the break!

Nah, other kids are not the same as your own.

I am not knocking anyone with more than one kid. I just couldn't live with
it 24/7. The demands, financial and otherwise of just one are more than
enough for me. To be honest I have no idea how people cope with more than
one. I`d love more, but I would be a wreck.

That's nice you can admit that - lol.

Why not be honest to the OP? 2, 3 kids ARE more work than one.

Well obviously that's not true for everyone. So no, I won't say that. When
my sister only had one, she had it a lot harder, she was a lot busier, than
I am with my 3.