Is there an equation ?

Old February 3rd 04, 11:29 PM
H Schinske

Default Is there an equation ?

Where are my weapons of math instruction now that I need them??? LOL!

Grandma Katie

Oh, oh, oh, I absolutely LOVE this pun! How have I missed it up till now?

--Helen
Old February 4th 04, 02:28 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
H Schinske wrote:

*Where are my weapons of math instruction now that I need them??? LOL!
*
*Grandma Katie
*
*Oh, oh, oh, I absolutely LOVE this pun! How have I missed it up till now?

I don't know, but you should check this out, Helen:

http://www.talkleft.com/archives/005528.html

Old February 4th 04, 09:58 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Ian" wrote in message

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Craig wrote:

For the more kids you have, the amount of time / energy / whatnot is

increased ?

1 kid = 1x multiplier
2 kids = 2.5x multiplier
3 kids = 4x multiplier

Yes, there's a very simple equation. However many
children you have will use up all the time/energy/whatnot
you have ;-)

I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we made

the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids has as
much free time as me?

My Mom says that the multiplier goes DOWN as you have more than 2 kids. As a
parent, you chill a little, and the kids have each other.

Old February 4th 04, 09:59 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Ian" wrote in message

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
I don't think this is true at all. I have one child and have A LOT

more
time, energy, financial resources, couple time than my friends with

more
kids. The more kids you have the more work it will be. Thats why we

made
the
decision to have one. You arent telling me that someone with 4 kids

has
as
much free time as me?

Actually I know plenty of moms with "lots" of kids who have more free

time
then moms of 1 or 2. Moms of more tend to be more organized for one

thing.
We don't think we have to entertain baby 24/7. My kids have siblings

for
that

My kid has friends for that. Friends that go home! The kids that come play
here ALL have siblings. Why arent they home "playing" They come here to

get
away from the aggravation of their brothers and sisters, thats why!

Most kids get siblings by the age of 3. How can a 2, 3 or even 4 yr old
entertain a baby? They want to do their own thing. You cant leave kiddies
that age playing alone. My child wasn't left alone unsupervised until

around
4.5.

You don't HAVE to be organised with just one. You can be a much more spur

of
the moment person. I don't want my life to revolve around kids activities.

want some adult time AND some time with my wife.

Is someone trying to talk you into more kids?

Old February 4th 04, 10:20 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Ian" wrote in message

"Sophie" wrote in message
Wow, lucky for our kids we're not so selfish or materialistic. Or

clueless
about what it's like to have more than one child.

Why is it selfish to stick with one? I like my free time, more money.

Those
things are important to me. Is it selfish to want to be happy? Usually

when
people start name calling its because they are jealous. And I do come from

family of 4 siblings, so I am MORE than aware of what its like.

Well, I am not speaking to anything that is directly in evidence here. But I
get the *sense* that you parenting vision tends to focus to such a degree on
how difficult, expensive ... parenting is and how much you *sacrifice* and
whatnot that you may be missing some of the joy of parenthood. What I am
trying to say is that the joy that COMES from parenthood increases with
multiple children at a greater rate than the effort of their upbringing.

One of my personal biases is to regard people who want the luxury associated
with money as being shallow and selfish people. I recognize this as a bias
of mine. But there it is. I cannot understand having money as a priority
when there are so many truly important things in life.

Old February 4th 04, 10:28 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Ian" wrote in message

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"Ian" wrote in message
Why is it selfish to stick with one? I like my free time, more
money. Those things are important to me. Is it selfish to want
to be happy? Usually when people start name calling its
because they are jealous. And I do come from a family of

If you want to stick with one child then just don't have any more. You
don't need to be defensive and you're not going to get most parents of
two or more children to agree with you that one is better, obviously,
since that's not what they chose themselves. They must have had their
reasons for having more, just as you have your reasons for not wanting
more. I haven't read the whole thread but I sincerely doubt anyone is
jealous of you. I will say that I am currently struggling with having
two and if you're not sure you can handle another you're best off
sticking with one. I do look back on my days with one and think how
much easier things were and I didn't even realize how good I had it. So
if that is the answer you were looking for there it is.
--

The OP was asking if it was harder with 2 kids than one. I am not here to
start a debate, but logically it is harder. Why do people lie and say

no
one knows the secret to how bad it is until you are in it!

How bad it is? That is appalling.YOU are in charge of your attitude. And if
you do not change it, I feel bad for your child, frankly.

I have childless friends ask me what its like to be a parent. Damn hard I
say! No point telling them its a bed of roses or they are going to get one
hell of a shock! Would I change my life? Of course not BUT I don't want it
to get any tougher. I am sure another child would be the light of my life
too, but my life is hard enough, I have no wish to make it harder, even if
it means missing out on more kids.

Old February 4th 04, 10:30 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Ian" wrote in message

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ian" wrote:

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message

The OP was asking if it was harder with 2 kids than one. I am not

here
start a debate, but logically it is harder. Why do people lie and

say
parenting is a breeze? Sometimes it feels like some big secret

club,
that
no
one knows the secret to how bad it is until you are in it!

What don't you get? Parenting is not hard for everyone. To some

people
it
*is* a breeze. Why is that so hard for you to understand??

How do you make it a breeze Sophie? Id love to know. Like I said we

have
one
aged 8. Both my and my wife are shattered by 10pm. I work full time

she
is a
SAHM. If we stay up till midnight its an event!

time for some introspection if living life is this hard -- a full time
SAHM and a school aged child AND you are both 'shattered by 10 pm] That
seems really really odd

I don't know. We get almost zero help from family, maybe that's the
difference. It is very rare we get a night out alone. Have to book grandma
about 6 weeks in advance! We are both up at 7am everyday including

weekends.
Maybe when he is older and sleeping in at the weekends it will get easier.

7am? Holy **** that's late. Perhaps it is a matter of adjusting your
perpective.

Incidentally, why not hire a babysitter?

Old February 4th 04, 10:55 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Ian" wrote in message

"Nan" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:43:59 -0600, toto
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:24:09 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

"toto" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:33:43 -0500, Nan wrote:

An assumption to be sure, but not without some merit, imo.

Note he says he is 26 - and he said he *chose* to have this child at
such a young age.

We chose to have our son as in we chose not to abort when faced with a
surprise pregnancy. We didn't get married till he was 3. We didn't set

out
to have a baby at 18 and 17. But he is here now. I know we are young,

but we
are glad to have him.

You don't sound glad to have him though.

No, he doesn't, does he?
He has had very little positive to say about his son. It's all been
pretty negative and about how tired they are.
Oh, and how he's looking forward to their later 30s so they can
finally have *their* time.

I am glad to have him truly. But what is wrong with wanting your
independence back? Don't you guys dream of Sunday morning lie ins??

But you CAN. The thing is, it is all or nothing for you. You want to stay up
late AND sleep in late AND you cannot have a babysitter AND you cannot have
a neighbor sit AND you cannot sleep with your son up AND you cannot sleep
with your wife up. You have too many requirements to be happy, with or
without kids. You just happen to be blaming it on having a kid.

Like I
said before, when he was 3 I considered a vasectomy. I found it so trying
having a 1 - 3 yr old. Now at 8, things are easier, and he is a fun guy to
be around, but it is the thought of those awful baby and toddler years

that
put me off having another.

I do not remember the awful baby and toddler years. Maybe I missed them? Oh
wait, I could not have. I HAVE a baby.

Maybe its because you all have little kids. Its only when you are out of

it
that your truly realise how taxing it was.

That's absurd. It is a matter of attitude and focus. You chose to focus on
how difficult it is, woe is you. You COULD chose to focus on how fun and
rewarding your life is. Then, loe and behold, you might find that it is not
that taxing.

Old February 6th 04, 12:00 PM
Chookie

In article QE2Sb.179549$na.292808@attbi_s04,
"toypup" wrote:
We have coyotes.

So do my in-laws, but they never come near the house. I'd be more
worried about my dd getting too close to a fire-ant mound.

They've been pretty close to our house. I've seen them across the street in
the neighbor's trash. If they came charging at me, I doubt I'd be able to
get inside fast enough. They are quick.

In-laws, or coyotes? :-0

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old February 6th 04, 12:14 PM
Chookie

In article , "Nikki"
wrote:

*Ages 2 to 3*
Put away toys
Put clothes in hamper
Dust
Pile books or magazines

DS does those. He also "helps" with the washing up, setting the table
(cutlery), waters he plants with his water bottle, puts the cutlery and his
own dry plastic dishes away, carries in light groceries (it's the size/weight
of objects that stops him doing more), tries to use a broom, presses the
buttons on the washing machine for me, and loves having a damp cloth to clean
things with.

He is 3 next month.