OT - getting out of Jury Duty

Old October 15th 04, 10:42 PM
Cathy Kearns

"firedancer623" wrote in message
news:xpWbd.309$EL5.129@trndny09...

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"firedancer623" wrote in message
news:gKUbd.441$Ug4.389@trndny01...
Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Well, then I guess I can't comment...seriously though, you get the

summons
very far in advance. I cannot imagine that a person can't find ANY
childcare
in the time that passes when you receive the summons to the time that

the
date comes up.

That's good to know. For some reason, I was under the impression that I'd
get a summons and then have to start the next week. If I had to, I could
have my mom come up for a few days and hopefully that would be enough time
otherwise, my husband would probably have to take personal time off work.

Certainly here in Santa Clara, CA that's how it works, but you don't get
the notice that sometime this year you'll be picked. Here there is also a
box to check that gets you off if you are a care giver for others (children,
elderly) which even counted for school aged kids. I remember checking
that when my kids were in 1st grade or so. Last time I was called my
husband wasn't working (taking a sabbatical) so I went.

Well I have a few medical issues which I've heard can also cause a

dismissal
since one is anxiety related.

In the courts I've served that has a decent chance of getting you excused,
but
you have to show up one day to tell the judge.

I highly doubt
I'll get chosen because, as noted in the first post, I dont hold much

regard
for our government and the judicial system. Im sure that will come across

if
I make it that far.

This one is tricky. I've seen many people use this excuse, and I have yet
see a judge just send them home. They always get a very public tongue
lashing by the judge. They may or may not get excused from that
particular case. If they are excused they are then sent back to the pool to
get
to try again in another case with another judge. If they aren't they
probably
won't get on the case, but they need to show up everyday for a week
until the lawyers have a chance to dismiss them without cause. I have heard
of one case where the judge offered to revoke their citizenship and deport
them
immediately. That's one way to push your husband into moving...

Old October 15th 04, 10:54 PM
dragonlady

"newfy.1" wrote in message

[...]

Some of this will also vary depending upon WHICH court your are being
called to. There are differences between federal and state laws, and
(of course) between the various state's laws.

In Mass, you were called for one day or one trial.

Here in CA, you are called for a week -- but you phone in each evening
to find out whether or not you have to turn up the next day.
Personally, I find that week pretty aggravating, and would prefer to
have one day where I KNOW I'm going to have to show up instead of having
to keep everything critical on hold for a full week. So far, I've had
two weeks where I never had to show up, and one where I showed up for a
day and got as far as the courtroom, but my number never got high enough
to make it into the jury box.

Growing up, I somehow figured 3 things would make me a growup: donating
blood, serving on a jury, and voting.

I had hepatitis when I was 15, so they don't want my blood.

I've never served on a jury -- I still hope to one day.

I DO vote regularly -- so I supposed I'm only 1/3 grownup.

Old October 15th 04, 11:36 PM
A & L Lane

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"firedancer623" wrote in message

Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

snipped...

.. I highly doubt
I'll get chosen because, as noted in the first post, I dont hold much

regard
for our government and the judicial system. Im sure that will come across

if
I make it that far.

This is going to be a really personal question and you really are very
welcome to ignore it (particularly from a complete stranger) but I was
curious to know where in the world you think it would be better - and what
specifically you think is unfair in the USA. I live in Australia so our
systems are fairly similar I would imagine and although it falls down
sometimes, I suppose I feel that on average it is reasonably fair to most
people. We have legal aid for those who cannot afford legal representation
although, as in real life, those with money seem to do better than others (I
speak from personal experience on this where we lost a case in these kind of
circumstances so I'm not being idealistic about this). I would certainly
feel it my duty to serve on jury duty - I would probably also whinge and
complain about the hassle of it. We dont have capital punishment which I
think is better but there is a diversity of opinion on this here. We have
complusory voting here for 3 different tiers of government - I have always
felt it to be a good thing to insist that everyone uses their opportunity to
participate in electing the government. I'm always reminded of Winston
Churchill who said that democracy wasnt a very good system of government, it
was just better than the alternative (or words to that effect). I suppose I
agree - our system isnt perfect but I am happy to live under it. I am
curious to hear more about how you feel about your system although as I
said, this is very personal stuff so feel free to ignore.

cheers
Leah Lane

Old October 16th 04, 12:04 AM
Barbara Bomberger

"newfy.1" wrote in message

[...]

I was thinking the same thing. Germany certainly has a jury system
where everyone is called, as does France, and I asuume most of western
Europe.

I suspect that anyplace in the world where I couldnt get a "trial by
my peers" or close to it would not attract me. W

Barb

cheers
Leah Lane

Old October 16th 04, 12:06 AM
Barbara Bomberger

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:52:03 GMT, "firedancer623"
wrote:

Where do I begin? Seriously, it's not just the jury duty, it's the entire
government at the moment. I think the entire judicial system is whacked for
a lack of a better term. My husband served 11 years in the Navy and it was
ridiculous how poorly he was treated, how we were treated (granted, it may
have just been our location and duty station) but it left us with a bad
taste in our mouths. We're paying out the wazoo for health care, the media,
it's a lot of things.
Im a far left liberal and with the elections almost upon us, Im terrified of
something in our country not changing. The direction in which we have been
going is mind boggling - at least to me.
I've been trying to get us to relocate to Canada for a few years now. My
husband can do a direct transfer right across the Lake (Ontario) from the
power plant he now works at to Pickering. He doesn't want the hassle of
immigration and having to switch over citizenships, sell the house and
possible get rid of our beloved pets. He also loves where he works although
he's pretty disgusted with the US for the same reasons as I am.

And if you receive the same kind of letter and are required to serve
in Canada (which certainly has a similar system?)

Personally I live in Germny for the moment but am an American citizen
and always will be.
Old October 16th 04, 12:16 AM
Sophie

[...]

Kari

Why would you have to give up your US citizenship to live in Canada?
I've been in the US (off and on) since 1978 and still have my Canadian
citizenship.

Old October 16th 04, 03:27 AM
Nan

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:22:07 GMT, "firedancer623"
scribbled:

I've always wondered about that. Sure I know it's a possibility but I've
never heard of anyone going to jail for refusing.

A summons to jury duty is a judicial summons. If you don't show up,
you are in contempt of court and a warrant will be issued for you.
I've known 2 people that got arrested for it.

That's fine. It's just one of the many reasons I don't feel our freedom is
really *free*

Well, it certainly isn't free considering those that put their lives
on the line so you can live "free". There *is* a cost.

Nan
Old October 16th 04, 04:28 AM
newfy.1

"firedancer623" wrote in message

Well I have a few medical issues which I've heard can also cause a

dismissal
since one is anxiety related. If that isn't enough, in combination with

the
SAHM w/no childcare then I suppose I will have to figure out. I highly

doubt
I'll get chosen because, as noted in the first post, I dont hold much

regard
for our government and the judicial system. Im sure that will come across

if
I make it that far.

FWIW, my dismissal was completely random. You call the night before, listen
to a list of names, if yours is on it then you're out.

JennP.

Old October 16th 04, 07:25 AM
toypup

"Barbara Bomberger" wrote in message
I suspect that anyplace in the world where I couldnt get a "trial by
my peers" or close to it would not attract me. W

You mean you'd rather have no trial?