UPDATE: playgroup fiasco

Old January 28th 06, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids

Default UPDATE: playgroup fiasco

On 28 Jan 2006 04:42:12 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article .com, -L. says...

Banty wrote:
ROTFL!

Oh, man, I've been called a stepford wife. :-D

Banty

It's not funny. It's pathetic. Really.

It's just that it's such a - new and unexpected experience!

Banty

*snort*
Gotta love it when someone lacks the imagination to come up with
anything better than a Hollywood reference.

Nan

Old January 28th 06, 05:37 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Ericka Kammerer says...

Banty wrote:
In article .com, -L. says...

Banty wrote:

ROTFL!

Oh, man, I've been called a stepford wife. :-D

Banty

It's not funny. It's pathetic. Really.

It's just that it's such a - new and unexpected experience!

C'mon, Banty. Let your inner Stepford wife out!
That should be a real hoot to see ;-) It could change
your life!

Where's that apron my mom made me? Um - hair curlers! Ericka - do I really
need to use the hair curlers?

Let me practice the blank smile in the mirror.... take the cynical frown off,
Banty - smile smile! Not working. Maybe an eyebrow tweeze will help :luck
pluck:: .......... no not much

Ericka I think it's just hopeless.

Banty

Old January 28th 06, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Nan says...

Banty wrote:
ROTFL!

Oh, man, I've been called a stepford wife. :-D

Banty

It's not funny. It's pathetic. Really.

It's just that it's such a - new and unexpected experience!

Banty

*snort*
Gotta love it when someone lacks the imagination to come up with
anything better than a Hollywood reference.

I still can't get over it - nobody has ever called me a Stepford Wife before!

Banty

Old January 28th 06, 08:58 PM posted to misc.kids

Banty wrote:
In article , Ericka Kammerer says...

C'mon, Banty. Let your inner Stepford wife out!
That should be a real hoot to see ;-) It could change
your life!

Where's that apron my mom made me? Um - hair curlers! Ericka - do I really
need to use the hair curlers?

How are you going to get that perfect hair without
them?! Now, get on board, Banty. You know you want to...

Let me practice the blank smile in the mirror.... take the cynical frown off,
Banty - smile smile! Not working. Maybe an eyebrow tweeze will help :luck
pluck:: .......... no not much

You probably just need to go have them waxed.

Ericka I think it's just hopeless.

Good heavens, giving up so easily!? For shame.
Back to the dressing room with you until you can turn
yourself out properly!

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 28th 06, 09:19 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Nan says...

Banty wrote:
ROTFL!

Oh, man, I've been called a stepford wife. :-D

Banty

It's not funny. It's pathetic. Really.

It's just that it's such a - new and unexpected experience!

Banty

*snort*
Gotta love it when someone lacks the imagination to come up with
anything better than a Hollywood reference.

I still can't get over it - nobody has ever called me a Stepford Wife before!

Banty

Hee hee, when I hear the term Stepford Wife, you just don't come to
mind EG

Nan

Old January 28th 06, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Ericka Kammerer
says...

Banty wrote:
In article , Ericka Kammerer says...

C'mon, Banty. Let your inner Stepford wife out!
That should be a real hoot to see ;-) It could change
your life!

Where's that apron my mom made me? Um - hair curlers! Ericka - do I really
need to use the hair curlers?

How are you going to get that perfect hair without
them?! Now, get on board, Banty. You know you want to...

Ohhh, alright I'll try the big ones... if I work really hard on this, I can
pass for Katharine Ross....

I'll have to lose even more weight...

Oh GOD NO I don't have any of the right kind of dresses!

Let me practice the blank smile in the mirror.... take the cynical frown off,
Banty - smile smile! Not working. Maybe an eyebrow tweeze will help :luck
pluck:: .......... no not much

You probably just need to go have them waxed.

Anything else?

I think I'll really have to work on that smile, though!

Ericka I think it's just hopeless.

Good heavens, giving up so easily!? For shame.
Back to the dressing room with you until you can turn
yourself out properly!

This is just so haaarrrrd...

Banty

Old January 29th 06, 06:18 PM posted to misc.kids

To "-L.":

I guess it's either some sort of discrimination, or a social
thing like shyness.

Suppose it's a social thing. Maybe she and her family are
the quiet type. Maybe they like to come to the playgroup and
interact with two or three other children but large numbers are
just overwhelming to them. Maybe she can't think of any more
polite way to turn people away than just ignoring them. (I'd
have trouble with that myself.) Maybe she thinks it's rude
to stand there holding out a toy for minutes at a time when the
other person is obviously not interested. Maybe she thinks
the best way to teach a 2-year-old not to do this is to
continue ignoring him. Possibly your children
are too energetic for her or have been seen being a bit
aggressive (hitting, grabbing), possibly while you weren't
looking?? Possibly she looks for certain specific personality
types and relates to them and ignores everyone else??
Maybe her kids have privately told her they're afraid of,
or don't like, your child for some reason??

If it's a racial thing: Here's an idea for how to handle it
but I don't know whether it's a good idea or not. You could
approach her and say fairly loudly (loud enough for others
to hear) something like "Excuse me -- I'd like to find out
whether you're interested in chatting with me occasionally?"
If she doesn't answer, you can say loud enough for others
to hear (but not shouting), "I feel ignored by name."
"I feel excluded by name." "I feel it's reasonable at
least to get an answer from you, yes or no, whether you're
interested in chatting." "Excuse me: are you hard of hearing?"
(said in front of her, using sign language at the same time,
but politely and sincerely)
You can look around and try to make eye contact with others
while saying these things. There is the possibility that she (or
even possibly others in the room) will respond with open
racial hatred. If you're prepared for this possibility, you
may be able to remain calm and look dignified, saying
something like "I feel I'm being subjected to racism."
They may just be making themselves look bad in front of
any reasonable people in the room. I think that saying
calmly "I believe racism is wrong." "I believe I have
a right to ..." looks better than getting upset, and can
gain you some respect.

I hope this is helpful. No guarantees. I hope you
figure out a way of handling it that works for you.

Old January 29th 06, 08:33 PM posted to misc.kids

"Catherine Woodgold" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry to say this Catherine, but this is shockingly
bad advice, and not what I would have expected from
you. A public confrontation pitched to be purposely
overheard? Making eye-contact with the other
parents to try to sway them to your side? "Sincerely"
using sign-language when she has seen her speak
with other parents and knows that she is not actually
hard of hearing? I can't believe you would advocate
for such rude behavior!

Okay, so you prefaced it with, "If it's a racial thing".
But at this point we have no way to know that, and
no reason to conclude it. If something more happens
to make that possibility seem more likely, then I would
speak to whoever runs or organizes the play group.
Perhaps call a "meeting"of the adults if necessary. If
this woman is racially motivated, then she has no
place in the playgroup. But to start a loud confrontation
without warning in front of all the kids?

In the absence of some evidence of racism, I
think the woman is entitled to be unfriendly if
she wants. I like to chat with other parents,
but I'm not one to chat with little kids. I
wouldn't ignore them of course, but I would
get annoyed if someone else's child continually
approached me when I'm there to socialize
with my friends while my kids socialized with
theirs. In that case, I think -L should just
ignore her, steer her child away, and have
fun with the more friendly folks there.

Bizby

Old January 29th 06, 09:01 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Nan says...

Banty wrote:
ROTFL!

Oh, man, I've been called a stepford wife. :-D

Banty

It's not funny. It's pathetic. Really.

It's just that it's such a - new and unexpected experience!

Banty

*snort*
Gotta love it when someone lacks the imagination to come up with
anything better than a Hollywood reference.

I still can't get over it - nobody has ever called me a Stepford Wife
before!

Banty

I'm so ignorant, I don't even know what it is.

Old January 29th 06, 09:09 PM posted to misc.kids

In article Ra9Df.1258$ap3.532@trndny03,
"Stephanie" wrote:

"Banty" wrote in message

I still can't get over it - nobody has ever called me a Stepford Wife
before!

Banty

I'm so ignorant, I don't even know what it is.

It's a reference to a 1974 movie (later remade) where the husbands of
uppity women in a nice American suburb replace their wives with demure,
passive robots. Here's Banty and some friends, happily shopping:

http://www.bergen-filmklubb.no/images/The_Stepford_Wives.jpg
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, due in April

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250

Playgroup fiasco (what do you make of this?) -- long toypup General 47 January 25th 06 02:34 AM
32 week update and fluid issues update Jennifer Howe Pregnancy 1 April 29th 05 06:55 AM
16 week update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 December 10th 04 12:03 AM
Update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 October 1st 04 06:37 AM
Use critical update Alex Nemeth Single Parents 0 October 2nd 03 03:42 AM