sling question for parents of twins (x-posted)

Old November 14th 03, 08:21 AM
toypup

Default sling question for parents of twins (x-posted)

"Leslie" wrote in message
Toypup said:

I agree that a crying baby should be picked up, but I think there are

plenty
of babies who like their plastic seats.

Better than being held and cuddled? I'd be surprised if many babies felt

that
way before they were conditioned to spend a lot of time in the seat.

Well, I consider myself pretty AP. DS was not conditioned to spend a lot of
time in his seat, so I take offense to that. He definitely preferred the
plastic seat to any of my five slings/carriers. Of course, if I had the
hands to carry him, he liked that better; but the reason the debate is
between seat or sling is because we often need our hands; and when we needed
our hands, DS preferred the seat over the sling. Slings were too
uncomfortable for a variety of reasons.

For the record, I own two front carriers, a sling, a pouch, a backpack and
an infant carseat. As an AP parent, I listened to DS and used what he was
most comfortable with rather than what the AP book says I should use. Isn't
that what true AP is, listening to your child? Anyway, DS did not equate
slings with being cuddled. There is no reason I should try to condition him
to like it anymore than I would want to condition him to like a plastic
seat.

Old November 14th 03, 10:57 AM
Anne Rogers

YES! The few times I carried mine around, I couldn't believe how heavy it was
and that people are lugging these things everywhere. (Although, now that I
think about it, perhaps the size of my babies relative to everyone else's is a
factor in my perception of this!)

There are occasions when I would prefer it, like a sleeping baby that you
really do not want to wake up, but you know they will if you move them!

I once saw a couple each lugging one around a bathroom shop, they must
have been twins, it looked very uncomfortable.

Old November 14th 03, 10:59 AM
Anne Rogers

Anyway, I don't think there is a problem with sitting a baby in a safe seat if
it's really necessary--I just think people get too dependent on these "mother
substitutes" and then resent having to leave their work/whatever to hold the
baby. JMO.

Like a graco swing, I saw one of these in a shop recently, 100 pounds for
something that looks very flimsy, I can imagine 1 or 2 occasions when it
would have been very useful, when ds was very unhappy at a very awkward
time, but other than that, I can't see the point (unless you have twins or
more, then I imagine they could save your sanity!)

Old November 14th 03, 11:02 AM
Anne Rogers

For the record, I own two front carriers, a sling, a pouch, a backpack and
an infant carseat. As an AP parent, I listened to DS and used what he was
most comfortable with rather than what the AP book says I should use. Isn't
that what true AP is, listening to your child? Anyway, DS did not equate
slings with being cuddled. There is no reason I should try to condition him
to like it anymore than I would want to condition him to like a plastic
seat.

well said, your baby is probably quite unusual though, I know that there
are occasions when I put my son in his car seat to go out in the car and
he is instantly happy, most of the time he strains and resists it though!

HE does like being pushed in the pushchair though, for us we use the
carseat on a threewheeler frame, so he is facing us, but can still see a
lot, he likes that, but he also likes forward facing in a sling.

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old November 15th 03, 06:23 AM
Ellie

You're right - the Graco swing does save your sanity with twins!

Ellie

David & Rebecca 10/2003

Old November 15th 03, 10:53 AM
Anne Rogers

You're right - the Graco swing does save your sanity with twins!

Ellie

Hi Ellie, I've been reading your posts on the twins newsgroup (something
to do whilst breastfeeding!) and I just wanted to say you are doing great,
don't let anyon put you off!

Old November 19th 03, 04:16 AM
Leslie

Well, I consider myself pretty AP. DS was not conditioned to spend a lot of
time in his seat, so I take offense to that.

No offense intended. Obviously there are exceptions to everything, but I still
maintain that it is a rare baby that wouldn't prefer being in a sling to being
in a seat.

He definitely preferred the
plastic seat to any of my five slings/carriers. Of course, if I had the
hands to carry him, he liked that better; but the reason the debate is
between seat or sling is because we often need our hands; and when we needed
our hands, DS preferred the seat over the sling. Slings were too
uncomfortable for a variety of reasons.

For the record, I own two front carriers, a sling, a pouch, a backpack and
an infant carseat. As an AP parent, I listened to DS and used what he was
most comfortable with rather than what the AP book says I should use. Isn't
that what true AP is, listening to your child?

Absolutely. But I don't think most people carrying babies in buckets are
listening to their babies . . . at least, what I see is them listening to them
cry!

Leslie
Old November 19th 03, 04:18 AM
Leslie

Like a graco swing, I saw one of these in a shop recently, 100 pounds for
something that looks very flimsy, I can imagine 1 or 2 occasions when it
would have been very useful, when ds was very unhappy at a very awkward
time, but other than that, I can't see the point (unless you have twins or
more, then I imagine they could save your sanity!)

I had one with my first child--not something I asked for at all. She didn't
much care for it, but I have heard of babies who were mesmerized by them and
their parents just kept turning them on over and over. Any tool can be
abused--it's all in how you use it. For myself, I got rid of the swing so that
I wouldn't be tempted to overuse it to avoid holding the baby.

Leslie