Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 25th 05, 02:49 PM
Mark Probert

Default Cruisin' for a bruisin'

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

However, as the interview progressed, the discussion became tense.

In an earlier television interview on Access Hollywood, Cruise
criticized Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants to deal with her
postpartum depression. Cruise's religion, Scientology, teaches that
modern psychiatry and its medications are harmful.

When Lauer asked Cruise about his comments he defended his position,
saying he disapproved of psychiatry even before he became a Scientologist.

"Look, you've got to understand, I really care about Brooke Shields. I
think, here's a wonderful and talented woman. And I want to see her do
well. And I know that psychiatry is a pseudo-science," Cruise said.

Cruise became increasingly visibly agitated as Lauer asked: "Do you
examine the possibility that these things do work for some people?"

When Lauer pressed Cruise on the topic, he said: "Matt, Matt, Matt, you
don't even -- you're glib, you don't even know what Ritalin is."

At one point, Cruise told Lauer, "You don't know the history of
psychiatry, I do."

When Lauer said he knew people on Ritalin who seemed to have benefited
from the drug, Cruise said that wasn't enough.

"But you're now telling me that your experiences with the people I know,
which are zero, are more important than my experiences," said Lauer, who
appeared composed despite his resolute words.

"What do you mean by that?" Cruise asked.

"You're telling me what's worked for people I know or hasn't worked for
people I know. I'm telling you, I've lived with these people and they're
better," Lauer said.

When Cruise suggested Lauer was advocating Ritalin, Lauer said: "I am
not. I'm telling you in their cases, in their individual case, it worked."

Eventually, Lauer said he recognized they could "go around in circles on
this for awhile," and asked whether one of Cruise's goals was for more
people to understand Scientology.