Weight Watchers and Nursing

Old January 19th 04, 08:11 PM
Cantrall family

Default Weight Watchers and Nursing

Hi,

I just joined Weight Watchers last week, and I was wondering how you dealt
with the nursing mothers instructions. They say that nursing mothers can
add 10 points to their daily point total. But, if the baby is not
exclusively breastfed, then you don't get any points. geesh. I know that
there's a few of you out there on WW and I was wondering what you did?

So far, I've given myself 5 points a day. We'll see how it goes, I
weigh-in tonight. I have a 3 year old, who still nurses 3 times or more a
day, and a 10 month old, who nurses I don't know how many times a day, plus
at least 2 times at night. But, he does eat solids, esp the ones he can find
crawling on the floor (lol)

Thanks,

Suellen, mom to
Gabby, almost 5
Bobby, 3
Marcus 10 months.

Old January 19th 04, 09:20 PM
Ducky Lawyer

Cantrall family wrote:

Hi,

I just joined Weight Watchers last week, and I was wondering how you dealt
with the nursing mothers instructions. They say that nursing mothers can
add 10 points to their daily point total. But, if the baby is not
exclusively breastfed, then you don't get any points. geesh. I know that
there's a few of you out there on WW and I was wondering what you did?

I cant' remember the number of points, but I've heard 500 calories per
child per day when exclusively breastfeeding, or 50 calories per child
per nursing session (for children who aren't nursing as much).

Using this formula, I needed an extra 1000 calories when my two were
little, and even now need some extra calories (3 times daily plus 2
pumpings, or 5-6 nursings on weekends/work from home days). This was
just to maintain my weight and health; my weightloss seemed to work (or
not) regardless of how much I ate post-partum. I couldn't figure out a
correlation, really.

So far, I've given myself 5 points a day. We'll see how it goes, I
weigh-in tonight. I have a 3 year old, who still nurses 3 times or more a
day, and a 10 month old, who nurses I don't know how many times a day, plus
at least 2 times at night. But, he does eat solids, esp the ones he can find
crawling on the floor (lol)

I can't recall what the calorie - to -point ratio is, but 5 points
sounds a bit low, depending on how much milk your toddler is actually
drinking (does he comfort nurse or tend to actually feed/swallow, or
both?). I'd guess that you'd want to calculate atleast 150 calories for
the toddler, plus oh, 250-300 calories for the baby, and then convert
into points.

Maybe someone else with more direct WW knowledge can help?
-Barbara

Old January 19th 04, 10:03 PM
Leslie

What I would do is see whether you lose while eating 5 extra a day. As long as
you do, then stick with it. IF you don't, cut back; if you lose too fast or
are too hungry, add more.

Congratulations for starting WW. It is awesome!

Leslie, 57 lbs lighter thanks to WW
Old January 19th 04, 11:09 PM
Molly Fisher

In article , Leslie
wrote:

Leslie, 57 lbs lighter thanks to WW

Wow! That's really great. Good work!

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/
Old January 20th 04, 12:35 AM
Jenrose

"Cantrall family" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I just joined Weight Watchers last week, and I was wondering how you dealt
with the nursing mothers instructions. They say that nursing mothers can
add 10 points to their daily point total. But, if the baby is not
exclusively breastfed, then you don't get any points. geesh. I know that
there's a few of you out there on WW and I was wondering what you did?

I would "pro-rate" those 10 points by what percentage of "one full day's
nutrition for one baby" you think you're producing.

If you plateau or your milk supply decreases, I'd increase points a little.
If you gain weight, I'd take a few points off.

It's silly if your baby is getting two spoons of bananas in a day, to say
you're not producing enough to count as points. But 10 points means about
500 calories that you're producing. If you're nursing the 3-year old for 3
"real" feeds and the 10 month old is only getting 3 substituted meals and
nursing a lot, I'd say count the full 10 points.

Jenrose

Old January 20th 04, 12:36 AM
Jenrose

"Leslie" wrote in message
What I would do is see whether you lose while eating 5 extra a day. As

long as
you do, then stick with it. IF you don't, cut back; if you lose too fast

or
are too hungry, add more.

Congratulations for starting WW. It is awesome!

Leslie, 57 lbs lighter thanks to WW

I agree... I lost 30 pounds on WW before my wedding and the portion control
it taught is critical for me in maintaining or losing weight now.
Jenrose

Old January 20th 04, 02:56 AM
Cantrall family

Well,

I did the weigh in after one week, and I lost 6 lbs in one week. So, I
guess if I continue with that much of a loss, I ought to up my nursing
points. I hear it is common to lose a lot the first week or so, so we'll
see how it goes now. I'm traveling for the next week, so it will probably
be kinda hard.

I'd say that I probably could up my points a bit, as the toddler does seem
to really nurse. And in the morning when he nurses is when I usually use
the Avent Isis pump on the other side to get some milk for the baby for
later in the day, as well. And when I pump, I can get anywhere between 2
and 4 oz on the other side. (depending on the side, I am sooo lopsided)

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this...I also thought it was kinda crazy
with the all or nothing attitude. However, WW really does seem to be more
sensible than a lot of things out there. The portion control is really what
I'm learning as well.

Suellen

s.com...

Old January 20th 04, 03:11 AM
Cantrall family

Hi Barbara,
"Ducky Lawyer" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Cantrall family wrote:

[...]

I think the calorie to point ratio is about 1 point = 55 calories, or
thereabouts, its a mathematical calculation based on calories, fat, and
fiber. Here is the formula: I found it here
http://weightlossinternational.com/n...-for-free.html

points=calories/50 + (fat grams)/12 - (fiber grams)/5.

But, the only thing is that the fiber grams kinda maxes out at 4.
Stuff like most veggies are "free" foods, and high fiber products are also
low in points.
And your point allocation for the day is dependant on your weight, so it
could range from 20 to 26 or more points, and then you add in the nursing
points.

Maybe someone else with more direct WW knowledge can help?
-Barbara

Thanks for your input...It helps.

Suellen

Old January 20th 04, 10:09 AM
elizabeth emerald

"Cantrall family" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I just joined Weight Watchers last week, and I was wondering how you dealt
with the nursing mothers instructions. They say that nursing mothers can
add 10 points to their daily point total. But, if the baby is not
exclusively breastfed, then you don't get any points. geesh. I know that
there's a few of you out there on WW and I was wondering what you did?

So far, I've given myself 5 points a day. We'll see how it goes, I
weigh-in tonight. I have a 3 year old, who still nurses 3 times or more a
day, and a 10 month old, who nurses I don't know how many times a day,

plus
at least 2 times at night. But, he does eat solids, esp the ones he can

find
crawling on the floor (lol)

here in australia, we have just started a new program & it says the
following for breastfeeding:
when the baby has breastmilk only - 32 points total
breastmilk + some solids - 30 points
breastmilk + increased solids - 28 points
breastmilk + regular meals - 26 points

but DS is 17 mths & breastfeeds 4+ times a day with lots of solids & it
seems 26 points is too little for me.
and also if your toddler is actually feeding, not comfort sucking, then it
would be more like feeding twins & it says that you would need more than
26-32 points.

hope this helps.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old January 20th 04, 01:57 PM
Leslie

Leslie, 57 lbs lighter thanks to WW

Wow! That's really great. Good work!

Thank you, Molly! I do need some encouragement. I got off track during
Christmas and I still need to lose 30-40 lbs. I'm afraid my goal of getting
all of it off by my sister's wedding (4/17) is hopeless at this point, but I
would still like to look better by then.

Leslie

Losing weight by breastfeeding Wendy Pregnancy 34 July 31st 04 04:01 AM
Maternal Weight Gain Leslie Pregnancy 9 March 22nd 04 04:27 PM
best way to lose weight whilst bfing jennifer Breastfeeding 8 January 5th 04 09:44 PM