Bottle feeding

Old August 11th 04, 08:54 PM
Di Gamaroff

Default Bottle feeding

Hi

I am really concerned that my 2 month old will simply not take a bottle. He
struggles for ages and gets so frustrated, is like he just cant latch on or
something. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Di

Old August 11th 04, 08:58 PM
T Flynn

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Di Gamaroff wrote:

I am really concerned that my 2 month old will simply not take a bottle. He
struggles for ages and gets so frustrated, is like he just cant latch on or
something. Does anyone have any ideas?

First, if you don't have to, don't put a lot of effort into it because the
kid will just get frustrated too. That said, though, try

-- make sure the bottle is in far enough. The kid's lips could be against
the broad base of the nipple.

-- try feeding when he's not super hungry so he's not stressed out. Or
try feeding him when he is hungry so he's trying harder.

-- Try different bottle nipples -- there are different sizes out there.

If worse comes to worse, some kids go straight to sippy cups at as early
as 3 months.

Old August 11th 04, 09:03 PM
Larry McMahan

Di Gamaroff writes:
: Hi

: I am really concerned that my 2 month old will simply not take a bottle. He
: struggles for ages and gets so frustrated, is like he just cant latch on or
: something. Does anyone have any ideas?

: Thanks,

: Di

Uh, in that case, I assume you are nursign directly. Is that right?
Two months old is 8 weeks. The usual advice for a breastfed baby is
to introduce the bottle between 6 and 8 weeks.

First, what are you putting in the bottle. Formula or expressed
breast milk (EBM). Many babies who will not take forumla will take
EBM.

Second, who is offering the bottle, and where are you when it si
done? Many babies will not take a bottle from mom when the "real
stuff" is right there. They will also not take a bottle from a
family member is mom is near. You may have to leave the house and
let DH try to offer the bottle.

Give us a little more info, and we'll try to offer a little more help.

Good luck,
Larry
Old August 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Beach mum

"Di Gamaroff" wrote ...
I am really concerned that my 2 month old will simply not take a bottle.

He
struggles for ages and gets so frustrated, is like he just cant latch on

or
something. Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but some breastfed babies are
really, really difficult to get to take a bottle. E simply wouldn't until
she weaned herself at 11.5 months. If I went out for the evening and the
nanny put her to bed, she'd take a few ounces from the bottle (like one or
two) and then would wake up around midnight for a 'real' feeding. So, we
usually went out after feeding her or just knew that I'd be waking up to
feed her. It was a pain but there was nothing we could do.

We tried everyone's suggestions and nothing worked. OTOH, if I had been
returning to work, I'm sure she would have figured it out eventually. As it
was, she never had to miss more than one feeding since I'm a SAHM and
scheduled stuff, even on nanny days, so that I'd be home on time to feed
her.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old August 13th 04, 12:14 AM
toypup

"Di Gamaroff" wrote in message
Hi

I am really concerned that my 2 month old will simply not take a bottle.

He
struggles for ages and gets so frustrated, is like he just cant latch on

or
something. Does anyone have any ideas?

We started training DD at 4 wks. She is 6 months now and still won't take
one very well, maybe a few ounces max out of a 10 hour day. I have to split
my shift at work to go home and feed her midday. The dcp is still working
on the bottle with her. We've found the Curity nipples from Mexico works
best. There's one from Evenflo of the same shape, also from Mexico, that
also works somewhat. Unfortunately, they are only found in Mexico, at least
Evenflo told me they only make it for the Mexican market. We've tried every
nipple. I've spent so much money on nipples and bottles.

DD takes solids now and drinks sips of water from a cup. She won't take EBM
from a cup. That, and the few ounces of EBM by bottle help carry her
through the day. I still come midday to feed her. She looks content when I
get there and she's a chubby little thing (75th percentile), so I don't
think we're starving her at all. Good luck.

Old August 13th 04, 05:23 AM
Irene

"Di Gamaroff" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am really concerned that my 2 month old will simply not take a bottle. He
struggles for ages and gets so frustrated, is like he just cant latch on or
something. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Di

Other ideas -

Have you tried different bottles/nipples? Avent is heavily
advertised, but many babies seem to prefer the Playtex nurser system
with the stubby cylindrical nipple.

Different temperatures?

Try holding baby in different positions, like sitting up and facing
away.

HTH,

Irene