Does this make sense to anyone? Pro-life who?

Old March 24th 06, 10:48 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Does this make sense to anyone? Pro-life who?

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Dedication Honors Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth
Published: Wed, 22 Mar 2006, 18:59:00 GMT

Edited by Christopher Laird Simmons
Staff Writer, Send2Press.com Email this article Print this news
article RSS News Feeds Add to My Yahoo!

CONTACT
Capla Kesting Fine Art
Pop-Star's Pregnancy Idealized in Brooklyn 'Monument to Pro-Life'

BROOKLYN, NY (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) -- A nude Britney Spears on a
bearskin rug while giving birth to her firstborn marks a 'first' for
Pro-Life. Pop-star Britney Spears is the "ideal" model for Pro-Life
and the subject of a dedication at Capla Kesting Fine Art in
Brooklyn's Williamsburg gallery district, in what is proclaimed the
first Pro-Life monument to birth, in April.

Dedication of the life-sized statue celebrates the recent birth of
Spears' baby boy, Sean, and applauds her decision of placing family
before career. "A superstar at Britney's young age having a child is
rare in today's celebrity culture. This dedication honors Britney for
the rarity of her choice and bravery of her decision," said gallery
co-director, Lincoln Capla. The dedication includes materials provided
by Manhattan Right To Life Committee.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 24th 06, 11:12 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
toto wrote:

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Beyond wierd.

I'm afraid I don't follow pop culture -- is the baby's father at least
well in the picture? The article doesn't reference him at all, whoever
he is. If he IS in the picture, I'd have preferred the sculpture
include him -- showing a teen FATHER being fully present matters.

How old is she now?

Granted, she's probably in a pretty good position to make a choice to
become a parent -- even a single parent. I really don't have a problem
with people who are 18 or 19 (still in their teens) choosing parenthood,
and some have managed well without the resources Ms. Spears will have at
her disposal.

But I ALSO don't have a problem with them choosing to NOT become parents
just because they got pregnant. I was just informed recently that a 16
yo of my acquaintance is pregnant, and the family is talking about how
they are going to deal with the baby. If I were closer to them, I'd
have asked if they considered alternatives -- they speak as though her
becoming a parent is now a necessary thing. It isn't -- parenthood is
ALWAYS a choice, and not always the best one.

But this will romanticize teen parenthood in ways that are most
unfortunate.

Old March 24th 06, 11:42 PM posted to misc.kids

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
toto wrote:

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Beyond wierd.

I'm afraid I don't follow pop culture -- is the baby's father at least
well in the picture? The article doesn't reference him at all, whoever
he is. If he IS in the picture, I'd have preferred the sculpture
include him -- showing a teen FATHER being fully present matters.

She's married to the father, and now pregnant with her
second child.

How old is she now?

24

Bizby

Old March 25th 06, 01:02 AM posted to misc.kids

dragonlady wrote:
In article ,
toto wrote:

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Beyond wierd.

Especially in light of the fact she was recently stopped for speeding
with her son sitting on her lap in the driver's seat. Not exactly too
bright in the parenting department, that one.

snip

Granted, she's probably in a pretty good position to make a choice to
become a parent -- even a single parent.

She's in a much better position than probably greater than 95% of
people who choose to be parents. She's a multimillionaire at age 24...

I really don't have a problem
with people who are 18 or 19 (still in their teens) choosing parenthood,
and some have managed well without the resources Ms. Spears will have at
her disposal.

But I ALSO don't have a problem with them choosing to NOT become parents
just because they got pregnant. I was just informed recently that a 16
yo of my acquaintance is pregnant, and the family is talking about how
they are going to deal with the baby. If I were closer to them, I'd
have asked if they considered alternatives -- they speak as though her
becoming a parent is now a necessary thing. It isn't -- parenthood is
ALWAYS a choice, and not always the best one.

Contrary to popular myth, teens hardly ever choose adoption as a choice
when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. They are much more likely to
parent their baby themselves as they see it asan extension of
themselves - someone to love them, as well as someone to love.

The group most often choosing to make an adoption plan for their
children are working-poor women who are already parenting one or more
children. They know how hard parenting can be and realize the economic
ramifications of adding another child on top of an already stretched
budget.

But this will romanticize teen parenthood in ways that are most
unfortunate.

Indeed. I have found those who are most vocal about being anti-choice
are hypocrites - they often have more than one biological child and
have adopted none.

I received an email the other day - a photo of 5 healthy, newborn
African American babies waiting in fostercare to be placed with
adoptive parents. The agencies handling minority adoptions are
desperate to place African American babies, while Caucasian babies are
sold as a commodity for tens of thousands of dollars more. Sickening,
it is.

-L.

Old March 25th 06, 01:48 AM posted to misc.kids

toto wrote:

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Beyond wierd.

I'm afraid I don't follow pop culture -- is the baby's father at least
well in the picture? The article doesn't reference him at all, whoever
he is. If he IS in the picture, I'd have preferred the sculpture
include him -- showing a teen FATHER being fully present matters.

How old is she now?

Her husband is far beyond his teenage years - he's 28. They got married
before she got pregnant, too. He has two children by another woman.

Old March 25th 06, 02:28 AM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
dragonlady says...

In article ,
toto wrote:

[...]

I don't get this reaction (although also I think the statue is a bit odd - not
so much that the statue is odd, it can be a monument to primal birth, but how
it's being presented is odd to me and doesn't resonate with me at all.)

Brittany Spears isn't a teen - I hate how every young unmarried mother, adult
young women, get equated as teens.

Furthermore, childbearing isn't the same as childrearing. One can give birth,
but not parent the child.

Banty

Old March 25th 06, 02:47 AM posted to misc.kids

toto wrote:

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Beyond wierd.

I'm afraid I don't follow pop culture -- is the baby's father at least
well in the picture? The article doesn't reference him at all, whoever
he is. If he IS in the picture, I'd have preferred the sculpture
include him -- showing a teen FATHER being fully present matters.

She's married to the father, and now pregnant with her
second child.

How old is she now?

24

Bizby

Certainly old enough to be making these choices -- and financially
capable and all that, too. I don't have any problem with the fact that
she has chosen to become a mother.

I just think the statue is weird, and the idea of somehow holding her up
as a role model as having chosen "parenthood over her career" -- and
that using a multi-millionaire married person choosing to have a child
as a result of a PLANNED pregnancy as somehow a symbol of the "pro-life"
movement is whacky.

People in her position who face unplanned pregnancies can choose
medically safe abortions, and no matter WHAT the law is changed to, that
will continue to be an available option for those who are rich and/or
well connected.

My mother wasn't rich, but did have a well connected doctor, and was
offered a medically safe abortion in 1951, when she was 15 and pregnant.
It isn't the choice she made -- but she DID have the choice. She's
always been very clear that she CHOSE parenthood. (It's also an
experience that makes her adamantly pro-choice, while still adamantly
believing that abortion is wrong.)

Someone like her might be a better symbol for the "pro-life" movement:
she chose poverty and parenthood, the 18 yo father of her child married
her, and they struggled but made a successful life -- they've now been
married almost 55 years, and have six kids, seven grand children, and
four great-grandchildren, all of whom are healthy and happy. She chose
to grow up and take responsibility for decisions she made -- far more
difficult choices than a woman nearly 10 years older who is stinking
rich and married deciding to have a baby!

Old March 25th 06, 02:52 AM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Banty wrote:

But this will romanticize teen parenthood in ways that are most
unfortunate.

I don't get this reaction (although also I think the statue is a bit odd -
not
so much that the statue is odd, it can be a monument to primal birth, but how
it's being presented is odd to me and doesn't resonate with me at all.)

Brittany Spears isn't a teen - I hate how every young unmarried mother,
adult
young women, get equated as teens.

I'm so out of touch with pop culture, I thought she still WAS a teen --
18 or 19 at most.

And famous teens having babies would romanticize teen parenthood in a
way that I would rather not have happen.

I still think the way the statue is being presented is weird.

Old March 25th 06, 04:29 AM posted to misc.kids

toto wrote:

Does anyone seriously believe that Britney Spears is a role-model
for teens for having a baby instead of an abortion? This is really
a weird idea, imo.

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0322-003.shtml

Beyond wierd.

I'm afraid I don't follow pop culture -- is the baby's father at least
well in the picture? The article doesn't reference him at all, whoever
he is. If he IS in the picture, I'd have preferred the sculpture
include him -- showing a teen FATHER being fully present matters.

She's married to the father, and now pregnant with her
second child.

How old is she now?

24

And her husband's 28. Certainly not a teenager by any stretch of the
imagination.

This whole thing just smacks of manipulation. Not that I'm a Spears
fan, but she got married, and they had a baby. Just like many other
couples in their 20s, even in Hollywood.

Sheesh.

Leah

Old March 25th 06, 07:56 AM posted to misc.kids

toto wrote:

BROOKLYN, NY (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) -- A nude Britney Spears on a
bearskin rug while giving birth to her firstborn marks a 'first' for
Pro-Life.

Wait a minute. Didn't she have a C-section? In fact, didn't I read
something about pre-eclampsia prompting her C-section?

Bearskin rug my ass. Is it April 1st yet?

--
C, mama to three year old nursling