Ah, the joy of BF in Europe

Old September 14th 06, 06:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

Default Ah, the joy of BF in Europe

"Sue" wrote:
"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
And, so many women cover up with blankets. I don't think they'd do so if
the environment was more breastfeeding-friendly. Just yesterday, the mom

was talking to while our sons practiced soccer covered up as she nursed.

was standing right next to her as the baby latched on, and there was
absolutely no skin showing. Why then throw a blanket on?

So what.!! If she is more comfortable for herself to cover, I don't see
why
it's such a big deal. I think women should do what they are comfortable
with. It seems it's not enough to breastfeed, but we have to conform to
what
others think should be done. Perhaps the baby was easily distracted. It's
just not a big deal at all.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't think it's a big deal or that anyone
should conform. I agree that women should do what they're comfortable with.
I have nothing judgmental to say about a nursing mom covering up.

What I was saying is that if we lived in a culture where breastfeeding was
absolutely accepted, I doubt women would even think of covering up. The
fact that many do cover up implies something about the acceptance of NIP in
my locality. I don't think anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler saw any women
of Mali covering up when their babies nursed. It would never occur to them
to do so.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 14th 06, 07:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Me, neither -- not in the mall, not on the plane, not in the airport
terminal, not downtown in the park, not in the middle of Starbucks (OK,
you get the picture; I'm starting to sound like Dr. Seuss here). Anne,
IIRC, you're moving to Portland, right? Or was it Seattle? Both of
those are very progressive cities, and I'd be very surprised if you had
any trouble.

right 2nd time, though we're not moving to the city itself, DH will work in
Redmond, our temporary accomodation is likely to be there, or very close to
there, we'll likely end up living a little further away, maybe Issaquah, or
some of the north bits of Redmond. I read on a Seattle website some very
disparaging comments about the conservative nature of those who live on the
Eastside! I don't end up NIPing that much at all, Ada is 15 months, and
tends to only have 2-3 feeds a day, I suspect she will up that a bit as she
gets better at telling me what she wants!

Anne

Old September 15th 06, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
emilymr

PattyMomVA wrote:
I don't think anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler saw any women
of Mali covering up when their babies nursed. It would never occur to them
to do so.

Although maybe all the women who *wanted* to cover up felt weird
because no-one else was doing so...

Sorry... couldn't resist. Blame it on pregnancy.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 16th 06, 03:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Anne Rogers wrote:
right 2nd time, though we're not moving to the city itself, DH will work in
Redmond, our temporary accomodation is likely to be there, or very close to
there, we'll likely end up living a little further away, maybe Issaquah, or
some of the north bits of Redmond.

The northwest seems to be one of the more breastfeeding friendly areas
of the US. Since you are moving in 3 weeks, you may be there in time
to attend part or all of La Leche League of Washington's October 13,
14, & 15 conference in Redmond. These only happen every other year.
In addition to being a great conference it would give you a chance to
meet many local women with an interest in breastfeeding.
www.lllwaconf.org/

--Betsy

Old September 17th 06, 06:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

The northwest seems to be one of the more breastfeeding friendly areas
of the US. Since you are moving in 3 weeks, you may be there in time
to attend part or all of La Leche League of Washington's October 13,
14, & 15 conference in Redmond. These only happen every other year.
In addition to being a great conference it would give you a chance to
meet many local women with an interest in breastfeeding.
www.lllwaconf.org/

sounds interesting, I'll probably feel stupidly nervous, but you're right,
it would be a good thing to do!

Anne